• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Garrioch: New York Rangers Will Likely Listen to Offers on No. 1 Pick

Phil

If you?re wondering why Gorton is playing his cards close to his vest, it?s because he has a big decision to make in the coming weeks: Does he keep the pick to take Lafreni?re or make a deal that could help the Rangers land the No. 2 centre they have been so badly seeking?

?If I just went on this call and told you all the things we?re going to do, it probably doesn?t help me on the market when I make calls,? Gorton said. ?We have to have more meetings and I like to play a little closer to the vest than announcing we?re going to go get centres or do something else.?

The thinking is that the Rangers already have left-wingers Artemi Panarin and Chris Kreider, so it may be difficult for Lafreni?re, who had 112 points in junior last season, to fit into the roster immediately. You can be certain Gorton will find a place, though, unless some other NHL club makes him an offer he can?t refuse.

The betting money among NHL executives Tuesday was that Gorton would keep the pick, but not before he listened to what other general managers had to offer. The Senators were pleased to get the No. 3 and No. 5 selections in the draft, and that?s where they?ll likely stay, but expect general manager Pierre Dorion to have a conversation with the Rangers.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-the-new-york-rangers-will-likely-listen-to-offers-on-their-no-1-pick

You don't move the number 1 pick for a second line center, I am totally against this. If they want to move their second first round pick, maybe, but there is no way in hell I would give up that first overall pick for a second line center. Having a cost controlled good young player is more important for the development of this team.
  • Like 1

This is just speculation from Garrioch. Gorton is notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to his intentions. The team is going to do their due diligence, but they've also repeatedly made not of the impact that Lafreniere would have. Micheletti made it known on the draft special on MSG last night that the Rangers are abundantly aware of the sizeable talent gap between Lafreniere and those that follow him in the draft. I'll just take this as Garrioch being typical Garrioch, which is Ottawa's version of Brooks.

Well, duh.

It’s his job to listen to offers. And in the event someone shows up with an offer you have to consider, you consider it.

I’d say the offer would have to be more than “a number 2 center”. Also, if you pass on the chance to draft Lafreni?re on the basis of already having Chris Kreider you need your head read.

• Like 1

Oh Boy. Jonathan Drouin incoming.

I actually think it may make sense to make a deal, if the price is right. Lafreniere is completely found money and was never part of any plan. They could really, really, really round out this roster for the now, and continue the steady pipeline of young talent.

You don't move the number 1 pick for a second line center, I am totally against this. If they want to move their second first round pick, maybe, but there is no way in hell I would give up that first overall pick for a second line center. Having a cost controlled good young player is more important for the development of this team.

This, 100%.

I'm happy to look at a deal with the Carolina pick and ADA/Strome/Georgiev, or even Kreider/Kravtsov to fill that 2C gap. Trading that #1OA for it is a fools errand.

If you want to play with house money and throw some draft picks at the problem, go offer sheet Barzal or Dubois.

• Like 1

Of course he has to listen to offers but I?ll be extremely pissed if they trade it. I?d sooner move kreider or even kakko (not that I want to) before moving this pick. You want a guy to build a franchise around well here he is.

I can?t even think of a scenario that I would be happy with... mcdavid + Edmonton?s next 5 first rounders maybe? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I actually think it may make sense to make a deal, if the price is right. Lafreniere is completely found money and was never part of any plan. They could really, really, really round out this roster for the now, and continue the steady pipeline of young talent.

for the price to be right it will be a million times more than what anyone would reasonably be willing to pay.

we have a chance to add a potential dynamic, franchise forward. we also, in the midst of cap troubles, have a guaranteed roster player on a very cost-controlled deal. So if we do want to make some moves, we have players we can afford to move instead.

sounds like click bait from a guy that doesnt have any inside knowledge and instead just throwing out stuff to see what sticks. Kind of like what i do from an amateur level then say "i told you" if i happen to be right lol
This. Nothing moves past the obvious here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

for the price to be right it will be a million times more than what anyone would reasonably be willing to pay.

we have a chance to add a potential dynamic, franchise forward. we also, in the midst of cap troubles, have a guaranteed roster player on a very cost-controlled deal. So if we do want to make some moves, we have players we can afford to move instead.

Would have to be an Eric Lindros package, and probably more. There's no danger of Lafreniere holding out. The great thing about the Lindros trade is that Forsberg turned out to have a better career on top of it.

Don't see anyone paying the price though.

Well, duh.

It’s his job to listen to offers. And in the event someone shows up with an offer you have to consider, you consider it.

I’d say the offer would have to be more than “a number 2 center”. Also, if you pass on the chance to draft Lafreni?re on the basis of already having Chris Kreider you need your head read.

Great point.

• Like 1

or Domi, we can have the diabetes line put together.

sounds like click bait from a guy that doesnt have any inside knowledge and instead just throwing out stuff to see what sticks. Kind of like what i do from an amateur level then say "i told you" if i happen to be right lol

yep this is throwing an already greasy shit against a wall that's covered with 3 inches of lube when it comes to the chances of them not ending up with Lafreniere. Will getting him allow them to consider moving other pieces and/or picks, sure and hopefully so if they can bring in NHL proven players.

I wouldnt even do it for #3, #5, Tkachuk and Ottawa?s 1st next year.

Trading 1st overall because we have Kreider and need a 2nd line center? Lol, fuck off.

We have like a gazillion pieces to trade if we need to make a trade. Carolina?s pick, two 3rd rounders, Lias, Howden, ADA, Strome, Buch, any of the D prospect expect Miller and Lundkvist, Georgiev. A package including something of this will get you any 2C in the league. No need to trade 1OA.

• Like 1

I wouldnt even do it for #3, #5, Tkachuk and Ottawa?s 1st next year.

Trading 1st overall because we have Kreider and need a 2nd line center? Lol, fuck off.

We have like a gazillion pieces to trade if we need to make a trade. Carolina?s pick, two 3rd rounders, Lias, Howden, ADA, Strome, Buch, any of the D prospect expect Miller and Lundkvist, Georgiev. A package including something of this will get you any 2C in the league. No need to trade 1OA.

Three early 1s and 20 year old Tkachuk? I would do that, but would have to pause to think if adding 4 more youngsters to the pipeline is overkill.