• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Offseason Goal: Reinvent the Fourth Line

Phil

Sure, but that still doesn't make their situations comparable. That's just a generality. Nothing about Lafreniere implies he needs that.

It doesn't have to be comparable. Yes Kakko need it more, but it would still be helpful for anyone. Gauthier is already here so it's not like we have to go acquire him by giving something up. It would make little sense to get rid of him knowing he may help out new 18 year old franchise player. French Canadians aside, our team barely has Canadians. The two are only like 3 years apart in age as well so that could also help.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't have to be comparable. Yes Kakko need it more, but it would still be helpful for anyone. Gauthier is already here so it's not like we have to go acquire him by giving something up. It would make little sense to get rid of him knowing he may help out new 18 year old franchise player. French Canadians aside, our team barely has Canadians. The two are only like 3 years apart in age as well so that could also help.

They're closer to 5 years apart and none of what you're saying here is a reason to keep a player who's done nothing to earn a spot around.

it's just a wild assumption to think that all French Canadian players like or want to be around each other LOL.

Yeah, I think you're still putting too much stock into it.

I think Gauthier has potential, I'm personally not for moving him, but I don't think he has any relevance to Lafreniere whatsoever. Same with more Canadians. What would a dude from Regina have to with one from Montreal for instance? That's like saying I'm relatable to a dude from Topeka. Nationality is often overstated.

I don't get the Lemieux hate. Guy has played 78 games for us and has put up 9 goals and 24 points and is only 24 years old. He is tough, gritty, he fights and now we have the depth to play him in a more suitable role on the 4th line. Why are we talking about guys like Grant and Clifford? Lemieux is a great fit for the 4th line. Gauthier is 22 years old, huge, and former 1st round pick and has a ton of potential. He's also French Canadian, so is going nowhere with Laffy coming in, but why are we casting him aside? The 4th line is a great place to hone his skills as long as he is playing with guys with some skill and not Greg McKegg. Give these two a useful 4th line center and they're perfect 4th liners. Howden is and option and Morgan Barron may be a good fit there as well.

If this team needs to sign a bigger plus to fight then go ahead but make that guy the spare forward, whoever it may be.

Because Garnt and Clifford, as stated in the OP, offer more than Lemieux or other internal options. They kill penalties, most of all, and can actually play hockey. The only positive metric I've ever seen in Lemieux's favor is his penalty differential.

If you look at what Carolina took for Gauthier, Joey Keane, it indicates that an organization that was quite familiar with him had given up on him. He's got some wheels on him. Nothing else apparent to date.
Gauthier is pretty much just a human bowling ball. He gets position with his speed and size, then can't do anything with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He also has 17 games in the NHL... maybe we wait a couple of months before we start calling him a bust?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's like a 6'5 lefty that can throw 95.. He's going to keep getting chances even if he can't throw strikes.... You just hope to be the organization that has him when he learns how to pitch.

He also has 17 games in the NHL... maybe we wait a couple of months before we start calling him a bust?

No one is calling him a bust. We're saying there's no there there (yet). I'm not even getting rid of him in my proposal. He can be the thirteenth forward. He's shown nothing, to date, to suggest he should be penciled into the lineup next season, is my point.

I wasn't calling him a bust. Just saying what I've seen so far. It has been curious for me that he had 26 g at Charlotte and has so far seemed kind of hands-less around the net.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I wasn't calling him a bust. Just saying what I've seen so far. It has been curious for me that he had 26 g at Charlotte and has so far seemed kind of hands-less around the net.

I think what he needs is show that he can be a good bottom line grinder/with strong PK/defensive game.

Gauthier is literally meant to be a Kreider clone. That's the game they had him focused on when he was in the Carolina system, he said so himself, and that's the game they likely envision him playing here. He's a big body who can skate like the wind and gets most of his contributions in front of the net. A significant number of his goals in the AHL came from tip-ins and deflections in front of the net like Kreider. That's his game. He's not a shooter with hands. Neither is Kreider. I like him a lot but he's really more of a top 9 or bust type player. I don't know how well he can really reinvent his game for consistent minutes on a fourth line unless he becomes infinitely better defensively. I doubt that happening at his age.

No one is calling him a bust. We're saying there's no there there (yet). I'm not even getting rid of him in my proposal. He can be the thirteenth forward. He's shown nothing, to date, to suggest he should be penciled into the lineup next season, is my point.

That was my point though we haven?t even had a chance to really assess his game all that much. Hard to give the guy a hard time when we?ve seen maybe ~60 minutes of ice time on the 4th line.

Def. not penciling him in but there is a lot to like there on paper. Hell how long has howden had to prove himself?