• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really able to get my head around why Kreider can't play on the 3rd line.

I mean, the fact they signed him doesn't staple him to the top 6 for the duration of his contract. As time passes he, like almost every other player in history, is going to have to reinvent himself as a player and find a new role. I'm not sure anyone envisioned a 34 year old Kreider playing in the top 6 even before they landed the #1 pick.

Now, unless he can move to the right, this move happens earlier than expected. I'm not sure it's a negative at all, tbh. Kreider sliding to the 3rd line improves that line tenfold. He'll still be on the power play. He'll be overpriced when Laf's ELC is over, but by that time he'd more than likely be overpaid anyway. We knew that.

• Like 1

I'm not really able to get my head around why Kreider can't play on the 3rd line.

I mean, the fact they signed him doesn't staple him to the top 6 for the duration of his contract. As time passes he, like almost every other player in history, is going to have to reinvent himself as a player and find a new role. I'm not sure anyone envisioned a 34 year old Kreider playing in the top 6 even before they landed the #1 pick.

Now, unless he can move to the right, this move happens earlier than expected. I'm not sure it's a negative at all, tbh. Kreider sliding to the 3rd line improves that line tenfold. He'll still be on the power play. He'll be overpriced when Laf's ELC is over, but by that time he'd more than likely be overpaid anyway. We knew that.

Kreider has never been a real 1st line wing anyway. He's just there because they split up Mika and Bread. Develop his D-attitude a little bit and, being the consummate team guy he is, he could be an awesome 3rd liner. Make the best of a bad contract. Build a killer 3rd line. No problem.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

he absolutely can play 3rd/4th line, might even be a lot more effective there going against 3rd pair Dmen.

He makes too much to play that role. And while it's not a problem today, it will be in the coming years when you have to pay Zib, Fox, ALF for sure, and probably Kakko...Better hope Chytil and Krav don't break out or you're really fucked.

I'd try and move him at the draft. I'd personally do something like our other #1 and CK for NSH #1 and Ryan Johansen. We take on money, but we move up and we get a big bodied center. Can move on from Strome.

He makes too much to play that role. And while it's not a problem today, it will be in the coming years when you have to pay Zib, Fox, ALF for sure, and probably Kakko...Better hope Chytil and Krav don't break out or you're really fucked.

I'd try and move him at the draft. I'd personally do something like our other #1 and CK for NSH #1 and Ryan Johansen. We take on money, but we move up and we get a big bodied center. Can move on from Strome.

I don't agree with this line of thinking. Isn't stockpiling talent the whole point of rebuilding? Saying we're fucked because we have too much talent is like saying we're fucked because we have too much money. Talent buys talent.

We have too many goalies, too many d, and too many wingers. Surely we can use this incredible stockpile to get ourselves a center.

I don't agree with this line of thinking. Isn't stockpiling talent the whole point of rebuilding? Saying we're fucked because we have too much talent is like saying we're fucked because we have too much money. Talent buys talent.

We have too many goalies, too many d, and too many wingers. Surely we can use this incredible stockpile to get ourselves a center.

Well yea, that's why the part you didn't bold says "trade Kreider for a center" LOL.

But that would’ve been the case even without Lafreni?re. I mean, whether you play Kreider in the top 6 and a guy on an ELC in the bottom 6 or vice versa is pretty inconsequential. So what you’re basically saying is signing him to that contract was the wrong move, which I don’t necessarily disagree with. My point is that, now we do have Lafreni?re (bar unexpected draft day madness), I don’t see why Kreider sliding to the 3rd line is a problem. Certainly, it’s not a short term problem. Long term, the money will have to be dealt with anyway. Of course, once Laf’s new deal kicks in you might have to consider whether you can afford Kreider in a 3rd line, but that decision would come regardless of getting Laf or not.

I don’t necessarily disagree with moving him either, but part of me feels he’d be good to keep around for the first couple of years.

Well yea, that's why the part you didn't bold says "trade Kreider for a center" LOL.

Sure, I guess that's possible, but just not likely. Similar to how some (you?) were calling to trade Trouba last year, we could trade Panarin too I guess if we really wanted to work around his NMC, anything is possible. But it seems CK is pretty well cemented and that's fine. We know what he is and they need players like him.

Not all these kids are gonna make the cut. Not all of them are going to be NHL players. It just makes sense that they'd be easier to package and move.

But that would’ve been the case even without Lafreni?re. I mean, whether you play Kreider in the top 6 and a guy on an ELC in the bottom 6 or vice versa is pretty inconsequential. So what you’re basically saying is signing him to that contract was the wrong move, which I don’t necessarily disagree with. My point is that, now we do have Lafreni?re (bar unexpected draft day madness), I don’t see why Kreider sliding to the 3rd line is a problem. Certainly, it’s not a short term problem. Long term, the money will have to be dealt with anyway. Of course, once Laf’s new deal kicks in you might have to consider whether you can afford Kreider in a 3rd line, but that decision would come regardless of getting Laf or not.

I don’t necessarily disagree with moving him either, but part of me feels he’d be good to keep around for the first couple of years.

You're saying all of the right things here.

Plenty of time to sort things out. Every decision needs to be made with the understanding we will have a lot of guys needing to be paid and trying to maximize the duration and ceiling once our window really opens in a couple years. Very nice problem to have and amazing that we got here so quickly.

Don't disagree, but moving him now you're in a position of strength. You don't have to. In 3 years, you do have to, and other teams know it. You might wind up having to throw picks in to move that contract.

A team like EDM or NSH might want him today, since they have trash at LW.

Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov as a third line for a few years, that looks almost identical to KZB today. Great depth.

Except that line relies very heavily upon either Kravtsov or Chytil having the offensive impact that Zibanejad has. One of them has to be the driver. Kreider we know isn't that. Chytil hasn't shown it yet.

Well, they've got 6 years to work it out, which would put Chytil at the same age as Zibanejad when he broke out.

Sometimes I forget that Chytil isn't even legally allowed to drink. Feels like he's been here forever.

Take the names away - "Hey, I got a 20 year old late 1st rounder who's going to give you 15 even strength goals from the third line in 60 games."

You're probably thrilled with that.