• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at No. 1 overall picks for the 10 years from 2001 to 2010, basically all of them became pretty major stars except for Erik Johnson. More recently, however, it's been spotty. Three of five picks from 2011 to 2015 are not major stars and not likely to become one (Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov and Ekblad). Not sure why that is or if it's just random.

Yea, you stated it but what's it based on?

For the years he played (99-2010) he ranks 32nd among his peers in total points. He never lead the league in scoring, best was #6. He was putting up 70 point seasons when Mario and Gretzky were putting up 130. Even Sundin, drafted #1 a year before Nolan, had 100+ point seasons when Nolan was scoring 70ish. If Nolan was drafted today he'd be Nico Hischier.

Based on ALFs numbers vs his peers in junior, and the way he's spoken about by those who watch him, I can't see where you're getting this from.

Numbers aren't really the main concern, but Nolan was hampered by injuries, and was an excellent player at his peak, and I don't make the comparison as a slight to Lafreniere, on the contrary, a fast moving, physical, 40/40 guy, with intangibles, would be an absolute win, would it not?

The next level of player is the truly elite, and I don't think Lafreniere is truly elite.

Numbers aren't really the main concern, but Nolan was hampered by injuries, and was an excellent player at his peak, and I don't make the comparison as a slight to Lafreniere, on the contrary, a fast moving, physical, 40/40 guy, with intangibles, would be an absolute win, would it not?

The next level of player is the truly elite, and I don't think Lafreniere is truly elite.

I guess the point I'm making is that Nolan was a 40g/40a guy in an era where elite players were going 60g/70a, which would make Nolan something like above average.

Maybe in the early 90's when he was a rookie/inexperienced guy but he still put that up in 99-00 when nobody was cracking 100 points.

Yea he had a wonky and inconsistent career. That was the year I referenced he was 6th in the league with 84 points and Jagr led the league with 96. But the year before and years after he was...Not that good.

I already stated my opinion. I think you're looking at Owen Nolan. Maybe with a bit more upside on playmaking, buts the #1 Pick comparable that is set in my mind.

I would take that. Similar size. Nolan played 20 productive years. Good leader, played PP and PK, had intensity, and played physical. Think Laf might be a little better skater and playmaker, but who knows at the NHL level.

Yea he had a wonky and inconsistent career. That was the year I referenced he was 6th in the league with 84 points and Jagr led the league with 96. But the year before and years after he was...Not that good.

He did, but it was injury driven if I remember correctly, he pretty much missed an entire season I think. Take that factor out and he's a 1000 point guy, and a certain HOF member.

He did, but it was injury driven if I remember correctly, he pretty much missed an entire season I think. Take that factor out and he's a 1000 point guy, and a certain HOF member.

I always liked Owen Nolan. Owen Nolan had a really nice career. You’re right about the injuries slightly derailing him, or maybe just shaving off the top 5-10% of his ability.

But I hope LaFreniere is better than Owen Nolan was.

I’m not expecting Ovechkin, Crosby, or McDavid. The true generational players we’ve seen over the last 15 or so years.

But there’s a big gap between those guys and Owen Nolan. I’m hoping for more than that

If you look at No. 1 overall picks for the 10 years from 2001 to 2010, basically all of them became pretty major stars except for Erik Johnson. More recently, however, it's been spotty. Three of five picks from 2011 to 2015 are not major stars and not likely to become one (Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov and Ekblad). Not sure why that is or if it's just random.

I think it's kinda wonky, because for some reason, the first half of the decade had a sort of "on year, off year" pattern going.

We've also got the benefit of significant hindsight here, and frankly, most of those picks weren't bad given the circumstances. I'd think RNH still goes top 5 in his draft year - maybe top 10, I think Ekblad probably the same. 2012 was just an atrocious draft year.

We're also talking about players heading to teams that just...collect talent they don't well develop. Florida and Edmonton are perennially bad for a reason.

Generally speaking, being a top pick in a stronger draft year is a really good sign, and the things that have derailed careers for top picks in stronger drafts over the last few years have almost unilaterally been non-hockey things (Puljujarvi's lack of effort, Juolevi's injuries, maybe throw Nolan Patrick's injuries in there, though 2017 was top heavy and then bad).

Basically, it's reasonably safe to say that if Lafreniere has the talent (he does), the work ethic (he does), and can avoid injury, he should be a very strong selection

I liked Owen Nolan a lot also, but if that's what Lafreniere becomes, than that's kind of disappointing. I'm not expecting a McDavid or Crosby type either, but if it's a MacKinnon or borderline MacKinnon type, I will be elated.

Mackinnon might be nipping McDavid's heels for best player in the world right now. I'd love it if ALF becomes Mackinnon.

I'm not sure there's a good "comparable" for Lafreniere. It's a shit ton of fun watching his highlight reel - he is fast (not breakneck, but he's got an extra gear), he thinks fast, he does things fast, he's got a shot, he's got the playmaking skill, he's got that willingness to forecheck and get his hands dirty on the boards. He's a unique player coming around at a time where positions mean less and less in hockey.

He's gonna be fun to watch.

Mackinnon might be nipping McDavid's heels for best player in the world right now. I'd love it if ALF becomes Mackinnon.

I'm not sure there's a good "comparable" for Lafreniere. It's a shit ton of fun watching his highlight reel - he is fast (not breakneck, but he's got an extra gear), he thinks fast, he does things fast, he's got a shot, he's got the playmaking skill, he's got that willingness to forecheck and get his hands dirty on the boards. He's a unique player coming around at a time where positions mean less and less in hockey.

He's gonna be fun to watch.

He seems too much of a skill guy to be labeled as a power forward, but has too much of a power game to be pigeonholed as a shooter/playmaker. Sounds like an awesome combination to me.

if kreiders 6.5 is the only albatross we have 4 years from now... where do i sign.

Hmmm...not sure it will be. Consider:

What to do with Zibanejad?

June 11, 2024

By Larry Brooks

Rewind two summers ago when the Rangers had to make a decision on whether to re-sign dynamic two way centerman Mika Zibanejad, or to part ways. They chose to re-sign him, of course, and commit 84 million dollars over the next 8 seasons. It is hard to say he didn't deserve it after coming off a 5 year contract that saw him well underpaid through most of it. At the time, team President John Davidson spoke glowingly of Zibanejad, "He's a team player, hard worker, with a lot of skill. We've identified him as part of the core for the next many seasons". General Manager Jeff Gorton identified him as a "cog in a machine we hope will compete for a Cup".

Boy, oh boy, does two years makes a big difference. After an injury-riddled season during year one of the contract, in which Zibanejad only laced up for 29 games, he has taken what appears to be a step back from what we are used to, scoring 19 goals and 49 points across the latest campaign. The Rangers, coincidentally, have not been able to get out of the first round of the playoffs in either season.

He has been a consummate professional, both on and off the ice, winning the Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award twice since 2018 and being an active member in the community. The latest trials and tribulations encountered, however, only serve to underscore the weight of the contract attached to him. He will be entering only the third year of the pact and, having just turned 31, the results to this point may have the Rangers feeling a little bit nervous for a rebound to previous stature. Zibanejad is still due 10.5 million per year across the remaining 6 years of his contract.

That's not to say the Rangers should give up on number 93 just yet, but without some sign of life soon, it may be the anchor that prevents Lord Stanley from making an appearance on Broadway anytime soon. We can only hope this ship turns around soon.

I think Zib was the best player in the NHL for a significant amount of time this past season. I also think that the Carolina series, although just 3 games, served as a reminder that he hasn't yet done anything like that over a more extended period. There's also the fear that a concussion could bring the whole thing down at any time. Zib is lankier than Panarin, and as such you have to worry about the intense physical targeting to which he will be subjected. Zib is fantastic and we can't help but plan the future around him, but there are some real cautionary notes, perhaps more so than with some stars.

I think Zib was the best player in the NHL for a significant amount of time this past season. I also think that the Carolina series, although just 3 games, served as a reminder that he hasn't yet done anything like that over a more extended period. There's also the fear that a concussion could bring the whole thing down at any time. Zib is lankier than Panarin, and as such you have to worry about the intense physical targeting to which he will be subjected. Zib is fantastic and we can't help but plan the future around him, but there are some real cautionary notes, perhaps more so than with some stars.
He's 6'2, 210. I don't know that I consider that lanky.

Hmmm...not sure it will be. Consider:

Lol what is that? Where did Larry write that?

He thinks Mika will have 2 amazing seasons to earn himself a 8 year/10.5m AAV and then just BOOM. A new injury from nowhere, he will barely play games and when he comes back from that injury as a 30 year old he's already way over the top?

If Mika continues to progress (or maintain the level he played at this season) over the next 2 seasons I have no doubt he can do it for 5 more. He'll probably be overpaid by the end of a 8-year deal, but thats closer to 2030 than right now so I aint worrying about that.

Lol what is that? Where did Larry write that?

He thinks Mika will have 2 amazing seasons to earn himself a 8 year/10.5m AAV and then just BOOM. A new injury from nowhere, he will barely play games and when he comes back from that injury as a 30 year old he's already way over the top?

If Mika continues to progress (or maintain the level he played at this season) over the next 2 seasons I have no doubt he can do it for 5 more. He'll probably be overpaid by the end of a 8-year deal, but thats closer to 2030 than right now so I aint worrying about that.

I wrote it. It was satirical.

I'm on the very small trade Zibanejad bandwagon before he's due a large contract that extends deep into his 30s. I'd look into doing so next summer.

My mind changes if he's open to a 5 year deal.

I wrote it. It was satirical.

I'm on the very small trade Zibanejad bandwagon before he's due a large contract that extends deep into his 30s. I'd look into doing so next summer.

My mind changes if he's open to a 5 year deal.

I get your thought process but.....thats top 2 center holes in this roster.

I get your thought process but.....thats top 2 center holes in this roster.

I wouldn't trade Zibanejad without getting a top 6 C back in the deal. Either you get a similarly aged center who has 3-4 years left on contract so the money rolls off in a timely fashion before 1) it turns into an albatross, and 2) to pay our younger players who will be needing raises over the next many seasons OR I reset the age and do something similar to Brassard for Zibanejad. Both deals would bring in additional assets that we may need, given Zibanejad's projected worth on the trade market.

Zibanejad has a NMC, so the chances are slim. But hey, I'm thinking when the time comes I wouldn't sign him until he's 36-37 at > 10M per.