• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

It's amazing that even after they started the true universal draft in 1969, they still gave Montreal, the defending Stanley Cup champions, the first overall pick so they could pick the top Quebec player. What a crime. What a rigged league (I could go on forever about how rigged the six team league that so many wax about was). Fortunately, Montreal's pick, Rejan Houle, didn't amount to much.

What the Habs did back then was "speculate" on players; so they'd send aging stars to the expansion teams for their first round picks, and then send players to those teams late-season opponents to try and drive their pick up the board.

That's how they got Guy Lafleur - they traded for the Seals' 1st rounder and then sent a few older players to the Kings to ensure the Kings would finish above the Seals.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the Habs did back then was "speculate" on players; so they'd send aging stars to the expansion teams for their first round picks, and then send players to those teams late-season opponents to try and drive their pick up the board.

That's how they got Guy Lafleur - they traded for the Seals' 1st rounder and then sent a few older players to the Kings to ensure the Kings would finish above the Seals.

It is commonly thought that the Seals foolishly traded the No.1 overall pick. In actuality, the trade, made in May 1970, involved a swap of the Seals and Canadiens respective No. 1 picks in the following year's draft, 1971. The Seals had made the playoffs in 1970 while the Habs had missed, so there wasn't even any assurance that the pick that the Seals were trading would be higher, let alone No. 1 overall. It should be noted that the Flower was very slow to develop in Montreal, not breaking the 30 goal mark until his 4th season, even though he was playing with a good team. He would have had an even harder time developing with the Seals and probably would have been traded at some point. It is true that the Canadiens made a sweetheart deal giving the Kings Ralph Backstrom once it became obvious that the Seals and Kings were the most likely bottom teams during the following season.

I read somewhere where Emile Francis disclosed decades later the long list of players that he offered the Islanders for the pick used for Dennis Potvin in 1973. It was a Lindros type proposal that would have dismantled the Rangers two years before they were actually dismantled. Bill Torrey didn't bite.

People keep on talking about how each preliminary round loser had a 12.5 percent chance, but that really overstates it given that in the original drawing there was a 75% chance that one of the seven non-qualifying teams was going to get in. In actuality, assuming they were going to lose in the first round, the Rangers had about a 3% chance of getting this.

It is commonly thought that the Seals foolishly traded the No.1 overall pick. In actuality, the trade, made in May 1970, involved a swap of the Seals and Canadiens respective No. 1 picks in the following year's draft, 1971. The Seals had made the playoffs in 1970 while the Habs had missed, so there wasn't even any assurance that the pick that the Seals were trading would be higher, let alone No. 1 overall. It should be noted that the Flower was very slow to develop in Montreal, not breaking the 30 goal mark until his 4th season, even though he was playing with a good team. He would have had an even harder time developing with the Seals and probably would have been traded at some point. It is true that the Canadiens made a sweetheart deal giving the Kings Ralph Backstrom once it became obvious that the Seals and Kings were the most likely bottom teams during the following season.

I read somewhere where Emile Francis disclosed decades later the long list of players that he offered the Islanders for the pick used for Dennis Potvin in 1973. It was a Lindros type proposal that would have dismantled the Rangers two years before they were actually dismantled. Bill Torrey didn't bite.

He had 29 goals, 64 pts in 73 games as a 18 year old rookie.

That?s slow to develop?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He had 29 goals, 64 pts in 73 games as a 18 year old rookie.

That’s slow to develop?

It’s not slow. But it wasn’t as if he dominated right away.

He had good numbers ( 215 GP, 78 G, 97 A, 175 Pts.) in his first 3 years. But not setting it on fire.

And he had just turned 20 when he broke in in ‘71.

He was not 18 but 20, which was draft age then. It was a higher scoring era with a lot of inflated offensive stats. Espo lead the league with 66 goals and 133 points that year, and the GAG line would have had 50 apiece but for the Ratelle injury. No one is doing that now. In year three, the Flower scored 21 goals and 56 points. The equivalent of about 15 and 45 today. As a grey beard who was a fan back then, I can tell you that the Flower was widely considered something of bust early in his career and took a lot of heat, especially in Montreal. It was talked about a lot. When he was drafted, he got hype similar to what McDavid and Matthews got in recent years.

It?s not slow. But it wasn?t as if he dominated right away.

He had good numbers ( 215 GP, 78 G, 97 A, 175 Pts.) in his first 3 years. But not setting it on fire.

And he had just turned 20 when he broke in in ?71.

He was 18 in September Of rookie season and played rest of season at age 19.

The year immediately after his draft.

I?m still trying to figure out how 64 points in 73 games rookie season is a slow start.

He was 18 in September Of rookie season and played rest of season at age 19.

The year immediately after his draft.

I?m still trying to figure out how 64 points in 73 games rookie season is a slow start.

Incorrect.

LaFleur was born in September of 1951. He was drafted in summer of ?71 at age 19. He made his NHL debut in October of 71.

Making him 20 as a rookie.

64 in 73 isn?t a slow start. You?re right about that dude. His numbers are good those first 3 seasons before he exploded in year 4. Just didn?t immediately dominate. But very good numbers.

I have a feeling the right thing to do is make a trade with the Kings. Stutzle is supposed to be an excellent dynamic player that can play Center and Wing, we can probably grab also a 2nd rounder and a top prospect

Any deal they were to make would have to be a huge overpayment.

If LA or Ottawa wants Lafreniere really bad then I think we should probably work out a deal with them to benefit us. Make them overpay. get great return. Package Lias along to get an additional and a much better prospect back.

Also we can include (Kravtsov who probably hates Quinn's guts for not playing him after he came over missing his sister's wedding) for some better prospect like Turcotte.

So the trade would be:

Lafreniere for Byfield/Stutzle + Akil Thomas + 2nd rounder(or 2 2nd rounders), plus Lias for Kupari, plus Kravtsov for Turcotte

Lafreniere

Lias

Kravstov

For

Byfield/Stutzle

Thomas

Turcotte

Kupari

2nd rounder

I think the Kings GM would get fired for that.

Anderson and Kravstov hold little value

So the trade would be:

Lafreniere for Byfield/Stutzle + Akil Thomas + 2nd rounder(or 2 2nd rounders), plus Lias for Kupari, plus Kravtsov for Turcotte

Lafreniere

Lias

Kravstov

For

Byfield/Stutzle

Thomas

Turcotte

Kupari

2nd rounder

I think the Kings GM would get fired for that.

Anderson and Kravstov hold little value

that is the risk we are willing to take :)

Have to agree with Puck Head. Blake would get fired.

And the other thing is... Blake is no dummy.

The reason you don’t see overpayment like this is because even bad NHL GM’s are still intelligent guys. They just don’t do them.

And if you’re talking about the difference between LaFreniere and Byfield/Stutzle being not all that great, then why would the Kings overpay that dramatically to acquire him?

If you wanna speculate based on a rational idea or just for talking points, that’s fine. But to put it out there like the logical thing to do is to look for a ridiculous overpayment and deal the pick and pass on this kid, that’s nuts.

While I’m a believer in any team in this spot going through the process of doing their due diligence and listening to any offers they might get, there’s really no realistic possibility of them trading it.