• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fast Expected to Depart in Free Agency

Phil

It means seeking players who win one-on-one?s through the draft and free agency. It means building depth and a formidable bottom six. These are tasks made harder by the expected free agency departure of Jesper Fast, who missed all but 1:01 of the series with an upper-body injury, and was missed by the Rangers every second.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/igor-shesterkin-mystery-solved-as-rangers-face-busy-offseason/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. Tired of seeing him slotted up all the time. Guys like Grabner, Miller, Namestnikov and others hardly got the chances to play top minutes while producing so little, yet get so many props like Fast has.

I like the guy as a third liner only. He's not going to be looking for 3rd liner money. Norv would the Rangers use him as a 3rd liner after paying him... I rather give that spot opposite Panarin to one of Kakko, Buch, Gauthier or even Kravstov if he greatly improves. Locking up Fast blocks what little offensive forwards the Rangers have in the system /on the team. Let's not roadblock them with Fast.

Good. Tired of seeing him slotted up all the time. Guys like Grabner, Miller, Namestnikov and others hardly got the chances to play top minutes while producing so little, yet get so many props like Fast has.

I like the guy as a third liner only. He's not going to be looking for 3rd liner money. Norv would the Rangers use him as a 3rd liner after paying him... I rather give that spot opposite Panarin to one of Kakko, Buch, Gauthier or even Kravstov if he greatly improves. Locking up Fast blocks what little offensive forwards the Rangers have in the system /on the team. Let's not roadblock them with Fast.

Hot takes gonna be hot.

Fast never took time from Miller and the other guys you listed... Frankly they have no business on the team over Fast.

He's the kind of player you regret letting walk over 500k.

Hot takes gonna be hot.

Fast never took time from Miller and the other guys you listed... Frankly they have no business on the team over Fast.

He's the kind of player you regret letting walk over 500k.

And overpay shittier versions to replace. Stralman > Boyle.

It’s only been under Quinn that Fast has seen his ice time go above the 15 minutes per game mark. And that has been only due to the fact that he works his ass off and their roster has been younger/under talented/in transition.

Yes, ideally he’s on your 3rd line.

But he’s proven time and again he’s a valuable, effective, and efficient guy in that spot. He’s exactly the type of guy they should be keeping around. Maybe not at all costs, but they need to try hard to do it.

The Rangers have been careless with their role players over the years. A guy like Hagelin comes to mind. The problem is that these average players find a little success and then they go for the money (see Prust, Brandon or Pouliot, Benoit). It's tough. Obviously if you're the Rangers you don't want to overpay any of these guys, including Fast. Sometimes the onus needs to be in the player. More often than not they're going to go for the money. Zuccarello didn't, year after year because he wanted to stay a Ranger. God bless him. Most players aren't like that. But who knows, maybe Fast really loves his teammates or NY, or some other factors that may keep him in NY for a 'deal'. But he's not a have changer, so if he leaves... no big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In 422 career games Fast has 1 career pp point? I know he’s not on the pp units but you’d think just by chance he would get out there considering how much he plays. Only 4 career short handed points.

Anyway, having said that he’s reliable and dependable. The problem I have is that his minut3s might be a bit inflated thus giving his point total a bit higher than we would want via ufa years. He will be a nice fit on a team ready to wi.

I dont like this. I feel like they should keep him. With Kreider, Kakko, Panarin, Buch currently taking 4 wing spots we need som wings that can play defense and PK. Are they gonna replace him in free agency? What would that be good for? Dont see them getting a better player for a cheaper AAV.

If they dont replace him they gonna be bottom-5 in PK next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

what exactly is a 3rd liner money? 4th liner UFAs look usually for 1 to 2 mil.

In 422 career games Fast has 1 career pp point? I know he’s not on the pp units but you’d think just by chance he would get out there considering how much he plays. Only 4 career short handed points.

Anyway, having said that he’s reliable and dependable. The problem I have is that his minut3s might be a bit inflated thus giving his point total a bit higher than we would want via ufa years. He will be a nice fit on a team ready to wi.

He’s been about a 12-15 goal, 30-35 point guy previously with fewer minutes under a different coach in a different system.

He’s been about a 12-15 goal, 30-35 point guy previously with fewer minutes under a different coach in a different system.

Never scored 15 and never had 35 points, so he’s not been that previously. Under AV he pretty much averaged under 15 minutes albeit barely. Last two years he jumped to mid 15s to 16+ For 29 points in 3/4 of a season, so I’m sure an agent will look at that as an average for increased performance thus more money than he is worth to us.

Never scored 15 and never had 35 points, so he’s not been that previously. Under AV he pretty much averaged under 15 minutes albeit barely. Last two years he jumped to mid 15s to 16+ For 29 points in 3/4 of a season, so I’m sure an agent will look at that as an average for increased performance thus more money than he is worth to us.

That’s why I put the range.

13 goals (career high) is in the 12-15 range. As is 33 points (career high) in the 30-35 range.

Don’t know what their limit would be with him.

Would very much like to see a more offensively talent player than Fast on Panarin's line. Not a knock of Fast; he was very defensively responsible. But would rather see someone who can score, pass, and get to the net, along the wall(one thing Fast was exceptional at, and was missed once he got hurt).

Recall when Jan Erixon retired or Freddie Sjustrom went elsewhere, the world did not end. Again, Fast is very good at what he does, one of the best in that role. But that role can be filled, possibly internally or hopefully cheaply. May be not as well defensively, but you would hope better offensively,

Would very much like to see a more offensively talent player than Fast on Panarin's line. Not a knock of Fast; he was very defensively responsible. But would rather see someone who can score, pass, and get to the net, along the wall(one thing Fast was exceptional at, and was missed once he got hurt).

Recall when Jan Erixon retired or Freddie Sjustrom went elsewhere, the world did not end. Again, Fast is very good at what he does, one of the best in that role. But that role can be filled, possibly internally or hopefully cheaply. May be not as well defensively, but you would hope better offensively,

The Rangers don't have enough players of his type. Strong defensively, good decision maker, grinds, can chip in some offense, and of course kill penalties. Ideally he's not on the top two lines but can slot up there and not hurt those lines. That's not a knock, it's an asset.

You can't over pay players like him. But you can pay them fairly and get good value. I'd be fine with something like 4 years, $12M total.

2x3. put the $ and y where you want. That's the most I do. If he's better when the contract is up, I'd gladly pay more. Can invest too much cap or years. He's 29 and injury prone. These bodies fall apart right about now.

The Rangers don't have enough players of his type. Strong defensively, good decision maker, grinds, can chip in some offense, and of course kill penalties. Ideally he's not on the top two lines but can slot up there and not hurt those lines. That's not a knock, it's an asset.

You can't over pay players like him. But you can pay them fairly and get good value. I'd be fine with something like 4 years, $12M total.

Right. The problem is, when you do overpay them, it tends to come back and bite you in the ass. Namestnikov, for example.

The deadline was pre-Corona and the cap was expected to rise in 20-21. The difference in the flat cap and the speculated increase in cap is probably about equivalent to what Fast would receive. So he wasn't and now is a cap casualty.

Moreover, the cap isn't just expected to remain flat, but remain flat for multiple years.