Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY AG Letisha James Files Lawsuit with Intent to Dissolve NRA

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

NY AG Letisha James Files Lawsuit with Intent to Dissolve NRA

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    OOOOOOOohhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy...I thought I knew where this was going but it just goes to show, I don't know enough.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Timing is strange given the upcoming election. This hands Trump campaign a digestible "Dems are coming for your guns" talking point. Countering that point takes a lot more messaging.

It's Biden's election to lose. This may be an unforced error.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Unless James' evidence is utterly damning, which very well may be the case given LaPierre's tensions from within the company. He was charged, internally, with exactly this sort of fraud if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure John Oliver did a whole exposé on it.

For instance, chief executive Wayne LaPierre allegedly spent member dues on personal expenses like $300,000 on clothes, while he also reportedly thought the organization should purchase him a $6 million Texas mansion partly due to fears for his personal safety after the Parkland shooting.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...ontrol-870300/

Though I do agree that, optically, it's a really odd time to take this up. Especially against a flailing Trump, who is in political freefall due to Covid-19, and desperately grabbing at culture war tickets to try and hitch his wagon to.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    NRA:liberals as
    Planned Parenthood:Conservatives
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Timing is questionable and would appear to be as aptly stated above, an 'unforced error.' The political pendulum may also benefit Biden in that so many people in the country want some kind of gun reform especially since not much has been done after the recent years of killings. Maybe he gets a back-handed boost from this - IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Timing is questionable and would appear to be as aptly stated above, an 'unforced error.' The political pendulum may also benefit Biden in that so many people in the country want some kind of gun reform especially since not much has been done after the recent years of killings. Maybe he gets a back-handed boost from this - IDK.
    Yes, but the real front-burner issues are Covid-19 and the economy.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    NRA:liberals as
    Planned Parenthood:Conservatives
    Eh. The NRA is naught more than an obscenely powerful lobby org. Planned parenthood provided actual community value.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Sure, but conceptually, it's probably accurate. Liberals rail on the NRA as conservatives rail on Planned Parenthood, because they're both easy, structual talking point issues.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Biden could recover a win out of this if he championed more sensible gun promoting organizations.

If he cut a spot that said basically, "The rule of law demands that corrupt organizations must be brought to justice, no matter how powerful. At the same time, the second amendment protects the rights for citizens to keep and bear arms. If you feel, like I do, that there are sensible ground rules for responsible gun ownership, then XYZ Gun Rights group deserves your support."
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Great ad copy

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Biden could recover a win out of this if he championed more sensible gun promoting organizations.

If he cut a spot that said basically, "The rule of law demands that corrupt organizations must be brought to justice, no matter how powerful. At the same time, the second amendment protects the rights for citizens to keep and bear arms. If you feel, like I do, that there are sensible ground rules for responsible gun ownership, then XYZ Gun Rights group deserves your support."
    or tweet this

Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Last edited by Costa; 08-07-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    Rangers are not committed to winning. It's an old boys club.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Sure, but conceptually, it's probably accurate. Liberals rail on the NRA as conservatives rail on Planned Parenthood, because they're both easy, structual talking point issues.
    Might be my ignorance speaking here, but I'm completely oblivious to any "good" the NRA does in the world. When I hear "the NRA", it's almost ALWAYS in the context of the gun lobby.

Planned Parenthood provides a ton of community medical support, especially to underserved populations and women, and when they're brought up, it's almost always in the context of "defunding because abortions", which is kind of like trying to close a store because they sell alcohol.

Does the NRA do something similar with some community value (i.e. gun safety training, responsible use, etc)?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Might be my ignorance speaking here, but I'm completely oblivious to any "good" the NRA does in the world. When I hear "the NRA", it's almost ALWAYS in the context of the gun lobby.

Planned Parenthood provides a ton of community medical support, especially to underserved populations and women, and when they're brought up, it's almost always in the context of "defunding because abortions", which is kind of like trying to close a store because they sell alcohol.

Does the NRA do something similar with some community value (i.e. gun safety training, responsible use, etc)?
    That's a great analogy. The Right would have you believe PP is an abortion clinic. They do a shit ton of non-baby related reproductive care.

NRA does... Nothing of note besides finance the candidate of their choosing.

Senior Member Mite Division Bieser's Avatar

They do. My dealings with them is, they charge for it. But they are money-oriented. They do some free online stuff. Of course, all their training and education is self-serving if they generate interest.

I'm not a member, but I own plenty of guns for various reasons. I'm not arguing for them. I choose not to give them my money. My purchases in the industry are support enough, as are my votes

But I'd guess the AG from New York is concerned with more than the internal misuse of funds.
    In 1994 I thought I could die in peace...now I'm hungry again.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I look at the big picture here. To me this is dangerous that a state would look to dissolve any group like this because once its done once, where does it go from there. There is corruption in many organizations, so to me, this opens the door to go after all of them. I don't belong to the NRA, and I don't agree with a lot they say, but I just worry where this goes from here, who will be next?

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I look at the big picture here. To me this is dangerous that a state would look to dissolve any group like this because once its done once, where does it go from there. There is corruption in many organizations, so to me, this opens the door to go after all of them. I don't belong to the NRA, and I don't agree with a lot they say, but I just worry where this goes from here, who will be next?
    Take this apart and distill it down: your argument is basically "because so many organizations are corrupt, we shouldn't prosecute one that is corrupt, because that might open the door to prosecuting other corrupt organizations"

What's the point of these sorts of laws if we're simply to turn a blind eye when people we like or dislike break them? I understand that the NRA is a particularly polarizing organization, but declining to prosecute because they're a polarizing organization is a very poor precedent.
    Hidden Content

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Take this apart and distill it down: your argument is basically "because so many organizations are corrupt, we shouldn't prosecute one that is corrupt, because that might open the door to prosecuting other corrupt organizations"

What's the point of these sorts of laws if we're simply to turn a blind eye when people we like or dislike break them? I understand that the NRA is a particularly polarizing organization, but declining to prosecute because they're a polarizing organization is a very poor precedent.
    You go after the actor, not the organization. Going by what your saying, we would t have a Republican or Democrat party because both are corrupt and should be dissolved.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post

This makes sense and i can get behind

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast