Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: NY AG Letisha James Files Lawsuit with Intent to Dissolve NRA

  1. #1
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    90,443
    Rep Power
    556

    NY AG Letisha James Files Lawsuit with Intent to Dissolve NRA

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4,312
    Rep Power
    87
    OOOOOOOohhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy...I thought I knew where this was going but it just goes to show, I don't know enough.

  3. #3
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,835
    Rep Power
    389
    Timing is strange given the upcoming election. This hands Trump campaign a digestible "Dems are coming for your guns" talking point. Countering that point takes a lot more messaging.

    It's Biden's election to lose. This may be an unforced error.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  4. #4
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    90,443
    Rep Power
    556
    Unless James' evidence is utterly damning, which very well may be the case given LaPierre's tensions from within the company. He was charged, internally, with exactly this sort of fraud if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure John Oliver did a whole exposé on it.

    For instance, chief executive Wayne LaPierre allegedly spent member dues on personal expenses like $300,000 on clothes, while he also reportedly thought the organization should purchase him a $6 million Texas mansion partly due to fears for his personal safety after the Parkland shooting.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...ontrol-870300/

    Though I do agree that, optically, it's a really odd time to take this up. Especially against a flailing Trump, who is in political freefall due to Covid-19, and desperately grabbing at culture war tickets to try and hitch his wagon to.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #5
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31,361
    Rep Power
    432
    NRA:liberals as
    Planned Parenthood:Conservatives
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #6
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4,312
    Rep Power
    87
    Timing is questionable and would appear to be as aptly stated above, an 'unforced error.' The political pendulum may also benefit Biden in that so many people in the country want some kind of gun reform especially since not much has been done after the recent years of killings. Maybe he gets a back-handed boost from this - IDK.

  7. #7
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    90,443
    Rep Power
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Timing is questionable and would appear to be as aptly stated above, an 'unforced error.' The political pendulum may also benefit Biden in that so many people in the country want some kind of gun reform especially since not much has been done after the recent years of killings. Maybe he gets a back-handed boost from this - IDK.
    Yes, but the real front-burner issues are Covid-19 and the economy.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #8
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19,522
    Rep Power
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    NRA:liberals as
    Planned Parenthood:Conservatives
    Eh. The NRA is naught more than an obscenely powerful lobby org. Planned parenthood provided actual community value.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  9. #9
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    90,443
    Rep Power
    556
    Sure, but conceptually, it's probably accurate. Liberals rail on the NRA as conservatives rail on Planned Parenthood, because they're both easy, structual talking point issues.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #10
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,835
    Rep Power
    389
    Biden could recover a win out of this if he championed more sensible gun promoting organizations.

    If he cut a spot that said basically, "The rule of law demands that corrupt organizations must be brought to justice, no matter how powerful. At the same time, the second amendment protects the rights for citizens to keep and bear arms. If you feel, like I do, that there are sensible ground rules for responsible gun ownership, then XYZ Gun Rights group deserves your support."
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  11. #11
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4,312
    Rep Power
    87
    Great ad copy

  12. #12
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    31,361
    Rep Power
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Biden could recover a win out of this if he championed more sensible gun promoting organizations.

    If he cut a spot that said basically, "The rule of law demands that corrupt organizations must be brought to justice, no matter how powerful. At the same time, the second amendment protects the rights for citizens to keep and bear arms. If you feel, like I do, that there are sensible ground rules for responsible gun ownership, then XYZ Gun Rights group deserves your support."
    or tweet this

    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  13. #13
    Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    11784
    Posts
    225
    Rep Power
    11
    Last edited by Costa; 08-07-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    Rangers are not committed to winning. It's an old boys club.

  14. #14
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19,522
    Rep Power
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Sure, but conceptually, it's probably accurate. Liberals rail on the NRA as conservatives rail on Planned Parenthood, because they're both easy, structual talking point issues.
    Might be my ignorance speaking here, but I'm completely oblivious to any "good" the NRA does in the world. When I hear "the NRA", it's almost ALWAYS in the context of the gun lobby.

    Planned Parenthood provides a ton of community medical support, especially to underserved populations and women, and when they're brought up, it's almost always in the context of "defunding because abortions", which is kind of like trying to close a store because they sell alcohol.

    Does the NRA do something similar with some community value (i.e. gun safety training, responsible use, etc)?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  15. #15
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    81,705
    Rep Power
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Might be my ignorance speaking here, but I'm completely oblivious to any "good" the NRA does in the world. When I hear "the NRA", it's almost ALWAYS in the context of the gun lobby.

    Planned Parenthood provides a ton of community medical support, especially to underserved populations and women, and when they're brought up, it's almost always in the context of "defunding because abortions", which is kind of like trying to close a store because they sell alcohol.

    Does the NRA do something similar with some community value (i.e. gun safety training, responsible use, etc)?
    That's a great analogy. The Right would have you believe PP is an abortion clinic. They do a shit ton of non-baby related reproductive care.

    NRA does... Nothing of note besides finance the candidate of their choosing.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Mite Division Bieser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Might be my ignorance speaking here, but I'm completely oblivious to any "good" the NRA does in the world. When I hear "the NRA", it's almost ALWAYS in the context of the gun lobby.

    Planned Parenthood provides a ton of community medical support, especially to underserved populations and women, and when they're brought up, it's almost always in the context of "defunding because abortions", which is kind of like trying to close a store because they sell alcohol.

    Does the NRA do something similar with some community value (i.e. gun safety training, responsible use, etc)?
    They do. My dealings with them is, they charge for it. But they are money-oriented. They do some free online stuff. Of course, all their training and education is self-serving if they generate interest.

    I'm not a member, but I own plenty of guns for various reasons. I'm not arguing for them. I choose not to give them my money. My purchases in the industry are support enough, as are my votes

    But I'd guess the AG from New York is concerned with more than the internal misuse of funds.
    In 1994 I thought I could die in peace...now I'm hungry again.

  17. #17
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    14,157
    Rep Power
    96
    I look at the big picture here. To me this is dangerous that a state would look to dissolve any group like this because once its done once, where does it go from there. There is corruption in many organizations, so to me, this opens the door to go after all of them. I don't belong to the NRA, and I don't agree with a lot they say, but I just worry where this goes from here, who will be next?

  18. #18
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19,522
    Rep Power
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I look at the big picture here. To me this is dangerous that a state would look to dissolve any group like this because once its done once, where does it go from there. There is corruption in many organizations, so to me, this opens the door to go after all of them. I don't belong to the NRA, and I don't agree with a lot they say, but I just worry where this goes from here, who will be next?
    Take this apart and distill it down: your argument is basically "because so many organizations are corrupt, we shouldn't prosecute one that is corrupt, because that might open the door to prosecuting other corrupt organizations"

    What's the point of these sorts of laws if we're simply to turn a blind eye when people we like or dislike break them? I understand that the NRA is a particularly polarizing organization, but declining to prosecute because they're a polarizing organization is a very poor precedent.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  19. #19
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    14,157
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Take this apart and distill it down: your argument is basically "because so many organizations are corrupt, we shouldn't prosecute one that is corrupt, because that might open the door to prosecuting other corrupt organizations"

    What's the point of these sorts of laws if we're simply to turn a blind eye when people we like or dislike break them? I understand that the NRA is a particularly polarizing organization, but declining to prosecute because they're a polarizing organization is a very poor precedent.
    You go after the actor, not the organization. Going by what your saying, we would t have a Republican or Democrat party because both are corrupt and should be dissolved.

  20. #20
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,643
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Biden could recover a win out of this if he championed more sensible gun promoting organizations.

    If he cut a spot that said basically, "The rule of law demands that corrupt organizations must be brought to justice, no matter how powerful. At the same time, the second amendment protects the rights for citizens to keep and bear arms. If you feel, like I do, that there are sensible ground rules for responsible gun ownership, then XYZ Gun Rights group deserves your support."
    This makes sense and i can get behind


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •