• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

Poor choice of reference since that pick by the Wild was highly criticized at the time.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2018/9/11/17844734/top-25-under-25-filip-johansson-the-conservative-draft-pick-from-sweden

That late in the first round, as long as you don't go completely off the board, you're not getting much difference between a 22 and 24.

The word "massive" is... Massively hyperbolic.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor choice of reference since that pick by the Wild was highly criticized at the time.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2018/9/11/17844734/top-25-under-25-filip-johansson-the-conservative-draft-pick-from-sweden

That late in the first round, as long as you don't go completely off the board, you're not getting much difference between a 22 and 24.

The word "massive" is... Massively hyperbolic.

Not when qualified by the words chance and could. Obviously the Rangers didn't think the player they took at 22 would be there 4 picks later. The situation could arise this year.

Lias has been doing well in sweden but was definitely not an out of the park pick as of now.

The draft in general is an educated guess. Sometimes things don't pan out....Hugh Jessiman, Dylan McIlrath, Bobby Sanguinetti....Good God, thankfully we got a bit more educated as of recent (kind of.....Lias Andersson)

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not when qualified by the words chance and could. Obviously the Rangers didn't think the player they took at 22 would be there 4 picks later. The situation could arise this year.
Yea there's a chance I could win a massive amount of money in the lottery.

What a pointless statement.

Yeah so picking sooner makes no difference. That's broken logic. It makes a difference and the difference could be big depending on who the team likes.
"Depending on who the team likes" ... What's that have to do with draft order? They picked earlier and took Mcailrath, they picked earlier and took Bobby Sanguinetti, Hugh Jessiman.

Again, the difference in player from 22 to 24 is not that big. You made a hyperbolic statement and then you had to throw a bunch of qualifiers in there so that the statement itself is pretty meaningless.

Trade the pick.

Rangers don’t need more potential top 6 forwards or potential top 4 D prospects. You don’t waste a first rounder on a potential 3rd liner, that they need now. Trade the pick for one. Whether it’s 22 or 24 is irrelevant

Trade the pick.

Rangers don’t need more potential top 6 forwards or potential top 4 D prospects. You don’t waste a first rounder on a potential 3rd liner, that they need now. Trade the pick for one. Whether it’s 22 or 24 is irrelevant

If the right top 6 Center or top 4 LD becomes available via trade, I'd be shocked if this pick wasn't involved in the package. If they trade it for a 3rd liner though, it better be more along the lines of "3rd line + a 2nd round draft pick". Over the last few years, the Rangers have done extremely well drafting in the 20s. I don't think it's right to minimize the potential of that pick as only a potential 3rd liner.

If the right top 6 Center or top 4 LD becomes available via trade, I'd be shocked if this pick wasn't involved in the package. If they trade it for a 3rd liner though, it better be more along the lines of "3rd line + a 2nd round draft pick". Over the last few years, the Rangers have done extremely well drafting in the 20s. I don't think it's right to minimize the potential of that pick as only a potential 3rd liner.

Agree. Last few years rangers have drafted Chytil, Lundkvist and Miller with picks in the 20s. All three has potential to be top 4D/top 6 forward.

But im not against using the pick in a package for a top 4 LD or top 6 C, we need help now.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agree. Last few years rangers have drafted Chytil, Lundkvist and Miller with picks in the 20s. All three has potential to be top 4D/top 6 forward.

But im not against using the pick in a package for a top 4 LD or top 6 C, we need help now.

and that's the point.

The Rangers need more than what Chytil has been contributing his first 3 seasons from this pick next season We all like Chytil, but youre talking about 23 points with no other intangibles. They dont need more picks and prospects that arent contributing immediately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
and that's the point.

The Rangers need more than what Chytil has been contributing his first 3 seasons from this pick next season We all like Chytil, but youre talking about 23 points with no other intangibles. They dont need more picks and prospects that arent contributing immediately.

This pick at 22 is a pick you package and trade for more immediate help.

Be patient though on Chytil. Just turned 21, youngest player in his draft class, and still under 150 games played.

While I agree the 22 pick could be good trade bait, in looking at the draft order/rounds, I don’t believe the Rangers have a 2nd rounder this year. So if you trade #22, their next pick isn’t until the 3rd round.

Have an extra 3rd though.. If 22 can help get a top 6 skater, I'm all for it

While I agree the 22 pick could be good trade bait, in looking at the draft order/rounds, I don’t believe the Rangers have a 2nd rounder this year. So if you trade #22, their next pick isn’t until the 3rd round.

The Rangers prospect pool is incredibly deep. A 70-pick gap in selections isn't something I'd worry about if that 22 helps us score a 2C or a higher pair LD

Per the Athletic (https://theathletic.com/2105005/2020/09/30/nhl-trade-rumors-henrik-lundqvist-goalies/) the Oilers aren't going to qualify Andreas Athanasiou

Can play any forward position, and is only one year removed from 30 goals. he had a down year so i dont think he'll cost a ton but on a short term, 1-2 year deal he could be worth it

Per the Athletic (https://theathletic.com/2105005/2020/09/30/nhl-trade-rumors-henrik-lundqvist-goalies/) the Oilers aren't going to qualify Andreas Athanasiou

Can play any forward position, and is only one year removed from 30 goals. he had a down year so i dont think he'll cost a ton but on a short term, 1-2 year deal he could be worth it

Possible replacement for Fast, but probably wants more money than Fast.