• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

Looking at Pronman’s big board, in that range you’re looking at

8. Askarov

9. Rossi

10. Zary

11. Mercer

12. Jarvis

13. Sanderson

14. Brisson

15. Quinn

16. Amirov

17. Lundell

I think Sanderson could go before the Rangers are on the clock, and you need someone to go for Askarov. If that happens we’ll have an excellent chance at a great prospect there. Lots of C’s too.

pretty sure that is not the order that Rangers draft team has.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at Pronman?s big board, in that range you?re looking at

8. Askarov

9. Rossi

10. Zary

11. Mercer

12. Jarvis

13. Sanderson

14. Brisson

15. Quinn

16. Amirov

17. Lundell

I think Sanderson could go before the Rangers are on the clock, and you need someone to go for Askarov. If that happens we?ll have an excellent chance at a great prospect there. Lots of C?s too.

McKenzie has Sanderson going to 8, which I think is very possible to get one more D in the top 10. That kicks one more up. The only hope for Rossi is if someone must have Askarov earlier and something else weird happens. Fortunately, it often does. (See: Yzerman taking Seider at 6.) Otherwise choice of Mercer/Quinn/Lundell withe the 1st and Perreault/Zary/Gunler with the 2nd.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I am pretty sure that the Wild or the Predators will win the lottery the highest the Wild ever picked was 3rd overall and Predators 2nd overall and both in their expansion years.

So looks like Rangers will draft Lundell after all? That seems to be their target. no need to trade up to get him.

He’s their target based on?

McKenzie has Sanderson going to 8, which I think is very possible to get one more D in the top 10. That kicks one more up. The only hope for Rossi is if someone must have Askarov earlier and something else weird happens. Fortunately, it often does. (See: Yzerman taking Seider at 6.) Otherwise choice of Mercer/Quinn/Lundell withe the 1st and Perreault/Zary/Gunler with the 2nd.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If he's around for the second pick, I want Lukas Reichel.

Watched some of his video and he seemed more nondescript, although his numbers are good. What's are his main assets?

He's an incredibly strong skater which there surprisingly aren't a huge amount of in this draft. I think Stutzle and Peterka get a lot of recognition for their skating but he's right there with them. I'd kind of liken him to Jan Mysak though while Mysak is more of a goalscorer, Reichel is more of a playmaker. He seems like a pretty safe pick, but not in a way that Andersson would be. Reichel isn't known for his defensive play, rather his skillset is varied enough to allow him to become a jack of all trades type. That's not a knock against his skillset but more of something that works in his favor. He has speed, he can pass, he can score, etc. it's just not that he's particularly exceptional at any of them except maybe skating and even then, exceptional isn't the word I would use. I've been more impressed with Peterka's skating at times.

Watched some of his video and he seemed more nondescript, although his numbers are good. What's are his main assets?

maybe hockey sense/IQ? 17 years old playing against men put up 24 points, I think his game will translate well to NHL, I think he will look good both on PK and PP. 0 penalty minutes in 42 games? not bad.

Wild collapsed last night so the Rangers are now locked in at the 11th pick with the potential to move up to 1st or 10th (if either Winnipeg or Minnesota wins the lottery). That should give the Rangers some opportunities at players like Holtz, Rossi, Quinn, Jarvis, etc. depending on how the top 10 works out. Hopefully Askarov, and Sanderson find their way into the top 10 to create some fallers.

From most rankings I saw it doesn't look like Rossi or Holtz are getting out of top 10 and Lundell is ranked higher than Jarvis.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/360145/anton-lundell

Quinn is ranked higher than Lundell on some rankings, but I am not sold on him, and probably neither are many scouts:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/336828/jack-quinn

From most rankings I saw it doesn't look like Rossi or Holtz are getting out of top 10 and Lundell is ranked higher than Jarvis.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/360145/anton-lundell

Quinn is ranked higher than Lundell on some rankings, but I am not sold on him, and probably neither are many scouts:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/336828/jack-quinn

I put more stock into the risers even with a mess of evaluation this year has been. Important factors to consider for these evaluations: all leagues didn't get to finish, the U18s weren't held, and neither was the draft combine.

Rossi is 5'9" and as good of a player he is, there are concerns about his age and skating. Cole Caufield was heavily coveted last season as an undersized forward, there was speculation he could sneak into the top 10 because of his goal-scoring prowess, and yet he still fell to 15. Small players don't get the same kind of consideration. Rossi was also 9 days younger than the 2019 draft cutoff. He's one of the older players eligible this year.

Holtz could fall because he's a rather one-dimensional shooter. His shot makes most of his game and if we look at a player like Oliver Wahlstrom, that only takes you so far. Holtz doesn't have the question of his numbers being inflated by someone like Jack Hughes, but he does have knocks on his skating and consistency.

Jarvis is rising in draft stock considering his motor and skillset. He's undersized at 5'9" but plays with constant energy and is a skilled offensive player. I think teams would covet both his skillset and effort. He reminds me somewhat of Peyton Krebs last year, whom I badly wanted, who ended up falling back to 17. Jarvis at 11 isn't unfathomable.

What is it about Quinn that you're not sold on? If we're gonna use rankings he's listed at 10 by McKenzie, 6 by Button, 7 by CSS, 6 by HockeyProspect. Clearly there's something there that has caused his rise, and I can tell you that it has nothing to do with Rossi.

I put more stock into the risers even with a mess of evaluation this year has been. Important factors to consider for these evaluations: all leagues didn't get to finish, the U18s weren't held, and neither was the draft combine.

Rossi is 5'9" and as good of a player he is, there are concerns about his age and skating. Cole Caufield was heavily coveted last season as an undersized forward, there was speculation he could sneak into the top 10 because of his goal-scoring prowess, and yet he still fell to 15. Small players don't get the same kind of consideration. Rossi was also 9 days younger than the 2019 draft cutoff. He's one of the older players eligible this year.

Holtz could fall because he's a rather one-dimensional shooter. His shot makes most of his game and if we look at a player like Oliver Wahlstrom, that only takes you so far. Holtz doesn't have the question of his numbers being inflated by someone like Jack Hughes, but he does have knocks on his skating and consistency.

Jarvis is rising in draft stock considering his motor and skillset. He's undersized at 5'9" but plays with constant energy and is a skilled offensive player. I think teams would covet both his skillset and effort. He reminds me somewhat of Peyton Krebs last year, whom I badly wanted, who ended up falling back to 17. Jarvis at 11 isn't unfathomable.

What is it about Quinn that you're not sold on? If we're gonna use rankings he's listed at 10 by McKenzie, 6 by Button, 7 by CSS, 6 by HockeyProspect. Clearly there's something there that has caused his rise, and I can tell you that it has nothing to do with Rossi.

There is a huge difference in size between Rossi and Caufield. If Rossi's age is a concern then same applies for about 20+ other 1st rounders in this year's first round.

Jarvis at 11 would be a little disappointing to say the least.

Quinn, I am not sure what should I be impressed about 50 goals on a loaded team? Furthermore he was on same team as Rossi and their PPG numbers aren't even close. If you want a goal scorer with Amazing shot check out Foerster.

There is a huge difference in size between Rossi and Caufield. If Rossi's age is a concern then same applies for about 20+ other 1st rounders in this year's first round.

Jarvis at 11 would be a little disappointing to say the least.

Quinn, I am not sure what should I be impressed about 50 goals on a loaded team? Furthermore he was on same team as Rossi and their PPG numbers aren't even close.

There's a huge difference in size in Caufield and Rossi? One is 5'9" and the other is 5'7". They're both undersized by NHL standards. Rossi benefits because he already has a more athletic build but he's also significantly slower. If you don't think age factors into considerations of development you're misinformed.

What makes Jarvis disappointing?

Oh which Quinn was a significant contributor. Are you implying he was the beneficiary of others? He wasn't.

There's a huge difference in size in Caufield and Rossi? One is 5'9" and the other is 5'7". They're both undersized by NHL standards. Rossi benefits because he already has a more athletic build but he's also significantly slower. If you don't think age factors into considerations of development you're misinformed.

What makes Jarvis disappointing?

Oh which Quinn was a significant contributor. Are you implying he was the beneficiary of others? He wasn't.

The highest Jarvis is ranked is at #11 by Future Considerations: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201952/seth-jarvis on top of that he is a RW. So if Kakko and Kravtsov are here where does Jarvis fit in in the future? They are all close in age.

Rossi's size is the typical undersized, while Caufield's is critically undersized where you have to question if he will be able to have success in NHL.

Quinn is another RW, also going from 13 goals to 52 makes me a bit nervous and skeptical, also at that level I prefer players have higher assist to goals ratio.

Why you don't like Lundell?

The highest Jarvis is ranked is at #11 by Future Considerations: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201952/seth-jarvis on top of that he is a RW. So if Kakko and Kravtsov are here where does Jarvis fit in in the future? They are all close in age.

Rossi's size is the typical undersized, while Caufield's is critically undersized where you have to question if he will be able to have success in NHL.

Quinn is another RW, also going from 13 goals to 52 makes me a bit nervous and skeptical, also at that level I prefer players have higher assist to goals ratio.

Why you don't like Lundell?

Jarvis is 18. He'll be a few seasons away. I won't be stopped from drafting him at RW because we have Kakko and Kravtsov. Same goes for Quinn. Kravtsov, though I am a fan, is not a certainty plus development isn't best suited by thrusting players into top-six positions. Some players are also capable of playing both wings.

Typical undersized versus critically undersized? What?

How do assists show that he's more of a contributor at that level? That doesn't make sense to me. Quinn is probably the best power forward in this draft who consistently demonstrates effort and is a volume shooter. He averaged 3.72 shots per game this season versus 1.5 the season before in addition to receiving an increased role. Maybe he just, I don't know, developed? He's the exact type of player the team could use.

The Liiga is trending down as a quality league. That doesn't mean it isn't good but it pales in comparison to the KHL and SHL. Lundell was successful there but he's also an underwhelming offensive talent when it comes to his actual play. Going after Lundell is like repeating Andersson all over again. I don't think he'll come with Andersson's difficulties, Lundell seems to understand that defense is one of his strengths, but why should we be drafting a defensive center at 11? I'd rather a player like Jarvis who flashes more dynamic ability than Lundell who's more of a Finnish Derek Stepan.

Jarvis is 18. He'll be a few seasons away. I won't be stopped from drafting him at RW because we have Kakko and Kravtsov. Same goes for Quinn. Kravtsov, though I am a fan, is not a certainty plus development isn't best suited by thrusting players into top-six positions. Some players are also capable of playing both wings.

Typical undersized versus critically undersized? What?

How do assists show that he's more of a contributor at that level? That doesn't make sense to me. Quinn is probably the best power forward in this draft who consistently demonstrates effort and is a volume shooter. He averaged 3.72 shots per game this season versus 1.5 the season before in addition to receiving an increased role. Maybe he just, I don't know, developed? He's the exact type of player the team could use.

The Liiga is trending down as a quality league. That doesn't mean it isn't good but it pales in comparison to the KHL and SHL. Lundell was successful there but he's also an underwhelming offensive talent when it comes to his actual play. Going after Lundell is like repeating Andersson all over again. I don't think he'll come with Andersson's difficulties, Lundell seems to understand that defense is one of his strengths, but why should we be drafting a defensive center at 11? I'd rather a player like Jarvis who flashes more dynamic ability than Lundell who's more of a Finnish Derek Stepan.

First time I hear that Quinn is a power forward. Lundell is more of a power forward. A big 2 way center is exactly what we need and exactly what we hoped out of Lias but did not get. Liiga still better than CHL. And again just like with Reichel I think Lundell has good hockey IQ.

Josh sold me on Dawson Mercer as being near the top of that next tier. Doesn't have an A+ tool, but everything is B+ to A-. Not blinding but above average speed, good shot, good playmaker, stays tight around the net, aggressive as hell. Plays, um, center.

Quinn and Jarvis have been big risers and Lundell and Holloway have fallen substantially all based on their abbreviated seasons. Mercer has been pretty solid in that 10-13 pocket all along.