• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Offseason Thread: Get to Fixin'

Phil

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Kakko

ALF - Chytil - Gauthier

Lemieux - Howden - Rooney/PDG

Smith - Trouba

Lindgren - Fox

Johnson - ADA

Bitetto

Shesty

Geo

Assuming Strome signs this is what we're looking at.

The top 6 should have no trouble scoring.

I'm excited to see Lafreniere and if/how he's able to make Chytil and Gauthier better. They are two big bodies that just need to get to the net and get open, LaF will find them.

I think the 4th line suits Lemieux better than the third and I'd suspect he is the guy that moves up in the event of an injury.

Lindgren/Fox showed real nice chemistry as two rookies last year. I think they both be improved. As for the rest of the D, the pairings are subject to change, but they're leaving the door open for Miller, if not out of camp a mid-season call up.

As to JD's point about the PK. Johnson for all the warts about his play, was the top LD for the Penguins (who were tied for 8th at 82.1%) at 2:12 minutes per game. The Devils were 7th in the league at 82.4% and Rooney was third among their F's in ice time at 2:06 per game. Add in a full season of Shesty along with a new D coach and the PK should be much improved. Last year's 7th ranked PP should be even better with the addition of LAF and improvement from all the kids on the second unit.

Prior to the offseason everyone knew there was one more year to go before the cap opened up. I see no reason the team will be worse than last year. One more year for the kids to develop. 2021/22 and beyond are going to be tons of fun.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko

Panarin - Strome -

Lafreniere - Chytil - Buchnevich

Lemieux - Rooney -

I've been playing around with potential lines, and I think this is where I am at.

I've been going through some of the Lafreniere videos, and those of his linemates.

put up 37 goals because of ALF. Big kid, left handed, and loves to shoot one-timers. the Rangers don't have a lot of that. Chytil and Buch were the only guys with more than a few over the last few seasons. I also game across
from last season and got erect. Man, Chytil and Buchnevich have some good chemistry. Could you imagine Lafreniere - Chytil - Buchnevich going against a teams 3rd d pairing on the regular? Oh my. I originally wanted to see ALF-Chytil-Kakko, but there's not enough defense there. I think Buchnevich has grown up enough, he could be the leader on that line and really thrive. Although they wont be great defensively, I think they'd be + line.

I move Kakko up to start the season. a) because I have Buchnevich playing a bigger role on a different line, and b) he, too, impressed in the playoffs. Not to mention it's creating a deep offensive team.

There's a spot on the 2nd line, but I dont want to talk about it. It seems like they need a hard worker, that goes to the front of the net and get some dirty goals, maybe plays a little defense. It would be nice if this individual had a bit more size, speed and physicality. Also, dont need a lot of points out of this spot as Fast only had 6 or something like that.

4th - Lemieux for energy. Rooney for PK and defense. I dont have Gauthier penciled into the lineup. This spot probably goes to Blackwell or DiPePe.

The 3rd line will be composed of the losers for the top 6 battles, probably won't be your typical 3rd line, remains to be seen if that's a net positive, or otherwise, but they're going to get tuned in their own end no matter who it is with Chytil at C.

The 4th line is objectively a complete joke, unless Howden and Lemieux find another gear.

Even with found money in Lafreniere, I don't see how they're better than last year without major steps forward from youth. The depth is not good, and there's virtually no groomed bottom 6 types in the Org.

I'll add, the worst part about it is that all the little pieces and depth they need are available in spades, either by FA or trade, but their - self inflicted- cap situation is completely paralyzing.

I really like Kravtsov and Gauthier, but why the fuck are either even in the mix, there's no room at the Inn, they could be parlayed in to much more rounded hockey players.

I'll add, the worst part about it is that all the little pieces and depth they need are available in spades, either by FA or trade, but their - self inflicted- cap situation is completely paralyzing.

I really like Kravtsov and Gauthier, but why the fuck are either even in the mix, there's no room at the Inn, they could be parlayed in to much more rounded hockey players.

I don’t see Kravtsov coming over this season. If they have expanded rosters, maybe that way.

Gauthier is still raw. Same as Kreider. I think he needs to split time between N & A... but not in a 4th line role.

These guys are fighting for that spot with Panarin and Strome, and based on history, I think it goes to Howden

The 3rd line will be composed of the losers for the top 6 battles, probably won't be your typical 3rd line, remains to be seen if that's a net positive, or otherwise, but they're going to get tuned in their own end no matter who it is with Chytil at C.

The 4th line is objectively a complete joke, unless Howden and Lemieux find another gear.

Even with found money in Lafreniere, I don't see how they're better than last year without major steps forward from youth. The depth is not good, and there's virtually no groomed bottom 6 types in the Org.

They need to base the lines on how the guys work together. They can’t have a third line of misfits that don’t work well together. Too many developing players to do that. Need to get these guys in a position to grow, and be successful, for the long term success of the team.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko

Panarin - Strome -

Lafreniere - Chytil - Buchnevich

Lemieux - Rooney -

I've been playing around with potential lines, and I think this is where I am at.

I've been going through some of the Lafreniere videos, and those of his linemates.

put up 37 goals because of ALF. Big kid, left handed, and loves to shoot one-timers. the Rangers don't have a lot of that. Chytil and Buch were the only guys with more than a few over the last few seasons. I also game across
from last season and got erect. Man, Chytil and Buchnevich have some good chemistry. Could you imagine Lafreniere - Chytil - Buchnevich going against a teams 3rd d pairing on the regular? Oh my. I originally wanted to see ALF-Chytil-Kakko, but there's not enough defense there. I think Buchnevich has grown up enough, he could be the leader on that line and really thrive. Although they wont be great defensively, I think they'd be + line.

I move Kakko up to start the season. a) because I have Buchnevich playing a bigger role on a different line, and b) he, too, impressed in the playoffs. Not to mention it's creating a deep offensive team.

There's a spot on the 2nd line, but I dont want to talk about it. It seems like they need a hard worker, that goes to the front of the net and get some dirty goals, maybe plays a little defense. It would be nice if this individual had a bit more size, speed and physicality. Also, dont need a lot of points out of this spot as Fast only had 6 or something like that.

4th - Lemieux for energy. Rooney for PK and defense. I dont have Gauthier penciled into the lineup. This spot probably goes to Blackwell or DiPePe.

The only problem I have with that lineup (besides Boyle not being there obviously ) is that I don’t see why we break up KZB line when they were so good last year.

JD on the Chalk Talk with Lafreniere and Schneider.

Then JD got grilled. But man, he's so calm and professional.

Fast - want to give that spot to guys that will be around "when we're winning"

Staal/Lundqvist - time to move on, tough decisions, but have to build

Focus on Hartford developing players.

K'Andre really impressed at bubble camp.

Free Agency - no money because of bonuses, and werent going to sign big names (even smaller names) due to the future. Dont want to take away spots from kids.

Jack Johnson a big presence in lockerroom, good work out, hard working on/off ice. Also will help PK which was not good.

• Like 2

Free Agency - no money because of bonuses, and werent going to sign big names (even smaller names) due to the future. Dont want to take away spots from kids.

Jack Johnson a big presence in lockerroom, good work out, hard working on/off ice. Also will help PK which was not good.

Thanks for the recap I missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Great recap, thanks

Like everything i read

I'm really curious to see what Jack Johnson can do for us this coming season. It's weird how sometimes these guys have one more golden season in them. Hopefully under Jacques Martin, he can regain his touch a bit, play well for us and be that veteran presence on the back line.

I'm really stoked to see K'Andre though! I think he's going to be a good one!

I'm really curious to see what Jack Johnson can do for us this coming season. It's weird how sometimes these guys have one more golden season in them. Hopefully under Jacques Martin, he can regain his touch a bit, play well for us and be that veteran presence on the back line.

I'm really stoked to see K'Andre though! I think he's going to be a good one!

I must have missed the first golden season.

I don't know how we got in a position where Jack Johnson and Brendan Smith are currently penciled in as two of our six defensemen on opening night. Whatever happened to the log jam on Defense?

Which prospect is ready for the nhl? I know they?re going to try to shove Miller down our throats and I of course want him to succeed but he?s more than likely going to have to spend a season or two with Hartford.

My best guess is Hajek starts over smith who is going to the 7th. But both of those guys are gone after this season at which point hopefully lundqvist, Miller Hajek reuanenenen (I?ll never learn the proper spelling) are ready for legit chances in the lineup.

I don't know how we got in a position where Jack Johnson and Brendan Smith are currently penciled in as two of our six defensemen on opening night. Whatever happened to the log jam on Defense?

Nothing happened to it.

Lefties:

Reunanen - Should be competing for a spot in camp.

Miller - Just signed his first contract. May make the team out of camp, may start in Hartford if there is an AHL season

Robertson - Stuck in limbo in junior. Maybe they make exceptions and let junior players leave early to play in the AHL if they have a season?

Jones - Is a sophomore at UMass. No schedule released yet.

Righties:

Lundkvist - likely playing his last year in Sweden.

Skinner - Stuck in limbo in junior.

Schneider - Stuck in limbo in junior.

Which prospect is ready for the nhl? I know they’re going to try to shove Miller down our throats and I of course want him to succeed but he’s more than likely going to have to spend a season or two with Hartford.

My best guess is Hajek starts over smith who is going to the 7th. But both of those guys are gone after this season at which point hopefully lundqvist, Miller Hajek reuanenenen (I’ll never learn the proper spelling) are ready for legit chances in the lineup.

Honestly, for as much as we rag on Smith, he’s not as bad as we think he is. He’s just overpaid. I don’t see Hajek surpassing Smith. They will give Smith the spot unless someone literally makes it impossible not to.