• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers to Add "Muscle and Grit" for Next Season

Phil

Wrong. Well, it isn't wrong technically, it's tailoring an argument to suit your position.

He put up 18 in 19 to finish the season playing on the Stamkos line. He was bounced from that line, and followed it up with 47 in 75 the following season.

Commonly referred to as "doing a Namestnikov".

Talk about tailoring an argument to suit your position lol.

Enough about Miller. Irrelevant discussion at this point.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The debate over Miller will rage on for years, but one thing is becoming increasingly certain, and that's the actual trade being a total debacle.

The trade is at present an unmitigated disaster-

Hajek- Struggle bus.. He's been unimpressive (that's me being nice)

Howden- based on what we have seen, he's a JAG. His ceiling is a easily replaceable 4th line C.

Namestinkov- Turned him in to Nick Ebert and a conditional 4th next year. Not exactly a king's ransom

2018 1st Rounder- Nils Lundqvist- I hate to do it, but the entire trade rides on his success.

2019 2nd rounder- Karl Henriksson

The trade is at present an unmitigated disaster-

Hajek- Struggle bus.. He's been unimpressive (that's me being nice)

Howden- based on what we have seen, he's a JAG. His ceiling is a easily replaceable 4th line C.

Namestinkov- Turned him in to Nick Ebert and a conditional 4th next year. Not exactly a king's ransom

2018 1st Rounder- Nils Lundqvist- I hate to do it, but the entire trade rides on his success.

2019 2nd rounder- Karl Henriksson

I mean, even if Nils Lundkvist becomes a legit top 4 d it's at best questionable. They traded for 3 known commodities and none of them looks to be worth the hassle. Hajek and Howden are, at best, bottom pair/bottom 6 players. I personally think they could've got more out of Namestnikov, but he was of little use to the Rangers and returned a hail mary draft pick. So if the only thing you're left with for McD and JT is a top 4 d, that's tough to call a win.

I mean, even if Nils Lundkvist becomes a legit top 4 d it's at best questionable. They traded for 3 known commodities and none of them looks to be worth the hassle. Hajek and Howden are, at best, bottom pair/bottom 6 players. I personally think they could've got more out of Namestnikov, but he was of little use to the Rangers and returned a hail mary draft pick. So if the only thing you're left with for McD and JT is a top 4 d, that's tough to call a win.

Jeff Spicoli in the morgue, looking at the results of the MacTruck / Miller trade laid out on the table:

As others have noted backup goalies-and thus far that is all Georgiev has been-are a readily-available and abundant commodity. At a loss why anyone thinks the Leafs or anyone else is giving you much for him.

Totally true

If they get a 2nd round pick and/or a B-level prospect, that’s fine. He’s not here in 2 years anyway.

What you stated works in reverse too. It should not be a problem for them to go out and find another backup should they need to do so down the road a little

As others have noted backup goalies-and thus far that is all Georgiev has been-are a readily-available and abundant commodity. At a loss why anyone thinks the Leafs or anyone else is giving you much for him.

Totally true

If they get a 2nd round pick and/or a B-level prospect, that’s fine. He’s not here in 2 years anyway.

What you stated works in reverse too. It should not be a problem for them to go out and find another backup should they need to do so down the road a little

No, it'd be nice to have both continue to grow and meet their potential. Gauthier is a physical specimen that is trying to figure out how to use that strength on ice. Additionally, they're both big, fast, and have skill. That's always good to have.

The reason to make this trade is because Quinn doesn't seem comfortable with Gauthier and also LW is a bigger need for us than RW.

The reason to make this trade is because Quinn doesn't seem comfortable with Gauthier and also LW is a bigger need for us than RW.

Yes because Gauthier doesn’t have nhl experience. That will come. He will grow and develop as a player.

Rangers will not trade Georgiev for a crappy second rounder and prospect. Second round picks turn out to be a good player about 11% of the time. 89% bust rate. Georgiev is younger than Shesterkin. A team will either have to offer up a first or a top 4 defenseman, top 6 winger. Otherwise, they can kiss off. Once again a team like Edmonton shows it's goalies suck. Gorton was after Puljujarvi before. However, guy I would be focusing in on as well is McLeod. He's big, very fast and has the potential to be an elite PK guy with some offense. Kind of trade this organization needs is something like Georgiev and Andersson for Puljujarvi and McLeod. That's the type of move they need to make but it comes with big risk. If Shesterkin goes down and Hank retires, who will take the nets? Can Wall be ready that quick? Will Huska take a big step up?

Rangers will not trade Georgiev for a crappy second rounder and prospect. Second round picks turn out to be a good player about 11% of the time. 89% bust rate. Georgiev is younger than Shesterkin. A team will either have to offer up a first or a top 4 defenseman, top 6 winger. Otherwise, they can kiss off. Once again a team like Edmonton shows it's goalies suck. Gorton was after Puljujarvi before. However, guy I would be focusing in on as well is McLeod. He's big, very fast and has the potential to be an elite PK guy with some offense. Kind of trade this organization needs is something like Georgiev and Andersson for Puljujarvi and McLeod. That's the type of move they need to make but it comes with big risk. If Shesterkin goes down and Hank retires, who will take the nets? Can Wall be ready that quick? Will Huska take a big step up?
What's a "good" player and where is 11% stat coming from?

I'm with Pete here. Not sure at all where this 11% is coming from. The actual number is quadruple that.

So, this is reasonably what we would expect. 80% of first-round picks, 44% of second-round picks, and 30% of third-round picks will become low-level (or better) NHL players. Scott Cullen has done great work looking at specific pick values.

Link: https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

Well, defining a "good" player is pretty arbitrary, but I just looked at three second round drafts and defined "good" as having ended up playing 750 games in the NHL, which would be about 10 years as a regular. 2003 = 4; 2004 = 3; 2005 = 4. This supports the 11% figure. You can define it some other way and increase the percentage, but to get to 40%, you would have to include marginal players who were up for a cup of coffee. For example, I looked at one year, 2004, and you would have to define "good" NHL player to be anyone who got in 65 games over his career to get to 40% of round 2 picks. Lias and Brendl would meet that criteria! (Yes, I know they were first round picks).