• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Here's to a Good Season

Brooks is kind of on both sides here, but the problem is that the player is worth more than the pick.

Lafreniere will go #1. If we have #1, Lafreniere is the pick, no questions asked.

Where it gets interesting is what does each team actually want? The Rangers straight up do not need a left wing. We have Panarin, we have Kreider, and we committed to both of them within the last 13 months. We've also got Kakko who plays both sides. Time changes things, but LW just isn't a position top contenders stack up on. We desperately need a center like Byfield, but we simply cannot justify passing on Lafreniere....so long as we hold #1.

So the question at hand is....who wants who?

If NYR want Byfield, LA wants Stutzle (as is heavily rumored), and OTT wants Lafreniere, we can and should figure out a three way trade that lets us maximize the pick value.

Agreed. This is the only way this should go down.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. This is the only way this should go down.

I have no concerns picking Lafreniere. I'd be over the moon. I just think we'd have to listen very carefully if we had a team like Ottawa with all their youth and picks or a team like LA with the best prospect pipeline in the NHL and the 2nd pick to boot calling us about moving up.

If you think back to the 94 team or even the team that lost to the Kings, the one consistency was that everyone knew their roles. Having a Nemchinov allows a player like Messier to do what he was paid to do. There were a lot of role players in both teams.

This Rangers team lacks depth. The 3rd and 4th lines don't know their roles. This means guys like Mika, Panarin, Kreider, etc. have to pick up that slack which basically takes away from what they are supposed to be focusing on, namely offense. So to me, they really need to sure up their depth guys. Plus, their defense need a LOT of help.

But remember, this is a multi-faceted rebuild and it takes time to put all the pieces together. Next year's team will most likely take another few steps in getting closer to the vision they have. J.D. is a good hockey mind. I think he knows what he wants and needs. It's just a matter of how long it'll take to get there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you think back to the 94 team or even the team that lost to the Kings, the one consistency was that everyone knew their roles. Having a Nemchinov allows a player like Messier to do what he was paid to do. There were a lot of role players in both teams.

This Rangers team lacks depth. The 3rd and 4th lines don't know their roles. This means guys like Mika, Panarin, Kreider, etc. have to pick up that slack which basically takes away from what they are supposed to be focusing on, namely offense. So to me, they really need to sure up their depth guys. Plus, their defense need a LOT of help.

But remember, this is a multi-faceted rebuild and it takes time to put all the pieces together. Next year's team will most likely take another few steps in getting closer to the vision they have. J.D. is a good hockey mind. I think he knows what he wants and needs. It's just a matter of how long it'll take to get there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

All of this is what’s expected and what happens in a rebuild and with a young team.

There are always holes and a lack of depth in those situations.

They have no shortage of resources to fill those roster holes and improve their overall depth in the next 1-2 seasons

All of this is what?s expected and what happens in a rebuild and with a young team.

There are always holes and a lack of depth in those situations.

They have no shortage of resources to fill those roster holes and improve their overall depth in the next 1-2 seasons

I agree 100% which is why I don't think it's really worth the effort of ripping apart what just happened with Carolina. This is not a final product, it's a team finding out who they are and who they need to be. Gorton and JD saw what we did. They'll make necessary changes.

I agree 100% which is why I don't think it's really worth the effort of ripping apart what just happened with Carolina. This is not a final product, it's a team finding out who they are and who they need to be. Gorton and JD saw what we did. They'll make necessary changes.

Yup

Still a ways to go in putting this roster together.

And look, it was gravy hockey.

The way they looked I think was entirely and directly a product of them not having played for 4 1/2 months

Obviously everyone was in that boat, but every team and player is a bit different. I didn’t think Carolina nor any other team thus far has looked particularly sharp. Every team looks rusty . Carolina just seemed less rusty. And they’re a better team than the Rangers

Yup

Still a ways to go in putting this roster together.

And look, it was gravy hockey.

The way they looked I think was entirely and directly a product of them not having played for 4 1/2 months

Obviously everyone was in that boat, but every team and player is a bit different. I didn?t think Carolina nor any other team thus far has looked particularly sharp. Every team looks rusty . Carolina just seemed less rusty. And they?re a better team than the Rangers

Also - the Rangers team is a new team. For them to just pick right up where they were in March is a lot harder than a team that has been together for years. That chemistry is a lot easier to dial in when you've done so year in and year out. Having said all that, I did expect more from the top 2 lines.

i see progress from last year but more work for the front office. i see problems with our defensemen, need for more scoring in our top six, and clearly defined roles in our bottom six forwards. i don’t think you are going to get much for georgiev because the rangers don’t have leverage, but we’ll have shesterkin and either lundqvist or georgiev, not both. i think you live through one more year of some bad contracts rather than buyouts, and make one or two roster upgrades. slow progress rather than desperate moves.

i see progress from last year but more work for the front office. i see problems with our defensemen, need for more scoring in our top six, and clearly defined roles in our bottom six forwards. i don’t think you are going to get much for georgiev because the rangers don’t have leverage, but we’ll have shesterkin and either lundqvist or georgiev, not both. i think you live through one more year of some bad contracts rather than buyouts, and make one or two roster upgrades. slow progress rather than desperate moves.

Not forcing anything and staying on the slower path is probably best

They aren’t 1 or 2 additions away

It’s likely going to take more than 1 more offseason anyways, so what does keeping guys like Hank, Staal, and Smith really cost you?

It ties up three slots for guys you already know aren't a part of the future. There's already a ton of other guys that still have so much to prove on top of those three slots. Not convinced all of the others will be a part of the solution going further either at this time.

It ties up three slots for guys you already know aren't a part of the future. There's already a ton of other guys that still have so much to prove on top of those three slots. Not convinced all of the others will be a part of the solution going further either at this time.

Whom is it preventing from playing?

Because Georgiev isn’t part of the future either.

And none of the young LH D have shown that they’re ready to supplant one of Staal or Smith. Even if they are, we all know Quinn will scratch guys to play others.

Not a huge concern

Only way they should do a buyout is if it facilitates keeping a guy who they feel HAS to be here and is undeniably in the long-term plan

Because Georgiev isn?t part of the future either.

And none of the young LH D have shown that they?re ready to supplant one of Staal or Smith. Even if they are, we all know Quinn will scratch guys to play others.

Not a huge concern

Only way they should do a buyout is if it facilitates keeping a guy who they feel HAS to be here and is undeniably in the long-term plan

Why is Georgiev not part of the future? he is younger than Shesterkin. What if something happens to Shesterkin? What if Wall and Huska suck?

Miller I am sure is ready for NHL next season.

Why is Georgiev not part of the future? he is younger than Shesterkin. What if something happens to Shesterkin? What if Wall and Huska suck?

Miller will need a year, maybe more, in Hartford.

Would be a shocker if he made the team out of camp. Only reason I could think he makes the team is because of no AHL due to COVID.

BTW Canadiens are up 2-1 vs Penguins, while Rangers choked. Why? Could it have something to do with their coaching staff vs ours? Look who is running our offense and PP: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4072

a guy with almost no coaching experience.

No.

More likely because of Jack Johnson, Justin Schultz and Matt Murray... And if any coach is the issue, it's Sullivan for sticking with those 3.

He’s not part of the future cause he won’t be here in 2 years for 1 of 3 reasons

1) They’ll trade him now and let Hank play out his contract

Or

2) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal to backup Igor and in a year when Igor hits RFA status and wants a new contract Rangers will invest in Igor and Georgiev will want a chance to start elsewhere and leave

Or

3) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal and in 2 years he will price himself out of the normally accepted price range of a backup and get more money elsewhere.

Those are the 3 most likely scenarios.

Backups are easy and cheap to find. They’ve had NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER finding quality backups for 15 years and no reason to believe they’ll suddenly be unable to do so. Even if Wall and Huska are terrible I’m in no way worried.

I’d in no way recommend you be certain about Miller playing in the NHL next season. He’s 20 years old. He’s only been playing D for 3 seasons, one of which was in High School. And he’s yet to play professional hockey at any level.

He’ll be in camp for sure. But he’s almost certainly going to be in Hartford and will likely be there for at least 1/2 the season, and that’s if he’s really impressive down there.

McDonagh spent 3 years at Wisconsin and was considered much more polished and NHL ready at 20-21 like Miller is now and he spent half the 10-11 season in Hartford before his debut.

You may not see Miller at all.

And none of the other young D (namely Rykov or Hajek) look ready.

Because Georgiev isn?t part of the future either.

And none of the young LH D have shown that they?re ready to supplant one of Staal or Smith. Even if they are, we all know Quinn will scratch guys to play others.

Not a huge concern

I?d be very careful just throwing every egg into the Shesty backup. By no means do I think he?s not the real deal, but a ton can happen. Georgiev would be nice to keep just because of the idea he has to sign this bridge deal. Two years is a long tine in the hockey world and we are better having him over Henrik for those two years even if the buyout + re-up for Georgie equals out.

Besides, maybe it?s just me, but this team plays it?s worst when Henrik is in goal, at least fro, the eye test. It?s just time to move on in my opinion.

He’s not part of the future cause he won’t be here in 2 years for 1 of 3 reasons

1) They’ll trade him now and let Hank play out his contract

Or

2) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal to backup Igor and in a year when Igor hits RFA status and wants a new contract Rangers will invest in Igor and Georgiev will want a chance to start elsewhere and leave

Or

3) He’ll sign his 2 year bridge deal and in 2 years he will price himself out of the normally accepted price range of a backup and get more money elsewhere.

Backups are easy and cheap to find. They’ve had NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER finding quality backups for 15 years and no reason to believe they’ll suddenly be unable to do so. Even if Wall and Huska are terrible I’m in no way worried.

I’d in no way recommend you be certain about Miller playing in the NHL next season. He’s 20 years old. He’s only been playing D for 3 seasons, one of which was in High School. And he’s yet to play professional hockey at any level.

He’ll be in camp for sure. But he’s almost certainly going to be in Hartford and will likely be there for at least 1/2 the season, and that’s if he’s really impressive down there.

McDonagh spent 3 years at Wisconsin and was considered much more polished and NHL ready at 20-21 like Miller is now and he spent half the 10-11 season in Hartford before his debut.

Georgiev's 'stock' isnt going up sitting on the bench for 2 seasons.

UFA & RFA goalies this season he is

18th in GAA

12 in SV%

That's just free agents this summer, not all the goalies in the league.

BTW Canadiens are up 2-1 vs Penguins, while Rangers choked. Why? Could it have something to do with their coaching staff vs ours? Look who is running our offense and PP: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4072

a guy with almost no coaching experience.

The Rangers were fifth in G/GP and seventh in PP% throughout the regular season. Scoring clearly wasn't an option then. Instead of trying to pin this on the coaches, why not blame it on those who actually failed to execute? The players. David Oliver isn't skating onto the ice to set up Zibanejad for one-timers on the PP.

He?s not part of the future cause he won?t be here in 2 years for 1 of 3 reasons

1) They?ll trade him now and let Hank play out his contract

Or

2) He?ll sign his 2 year bridge deal to backup Igor and in a year when Igor hits RFA status and wants a new contract Rangers will invest in Igor and Georgiev will want a chance to start elsewhere and leave

Or

3) He?ll sign his 2 year bridge deal and in 2 years he will price himself out of the normally accepted price range of a backup and get more money elsewhere.

Backups are easy and cheap to find. They?ve had NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER finding quality backups for 15 years and no reason to believe they?ll suddenly be unable to do so. Even if Wall and Huska are terrible I?m in no way worried.

I?d in no way recommend you be certain about Miller playing in the NHL next season. He?s 20 years old. He?s only been playing D for 3 seasons, one of which was in High School. And he?s yet to play professional hockey at any level.

He?ll be in camp for sure. But he?s almost certainly going to be in Hartford and will likely be there for at least 1/2 the season, and that?s if he?s really impressive down there.

My money is on option 2, though it's dependent on what the contract looks like. I'd like to think they'll have no problem getting him on a 2 x 1.5-2 per kind of bridge deal. Anything more than that I think they will be looking at arbitration or reverting back to either option 1 OR potentially an option 4, which is to trade Georgiev AND Hank retires (I'm doubting he actually wants to be a backup) or is bought out, then sign a cheap backup or give Huska a go.