• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[ECQR] (#3) Rangers v. Carolina Hurricanes // Cue the Funeral Procession

Phil

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were good for two periods tonight. That game could have been won if they'd take their chances, but they didn't and here we are.

No real need for a huge post mortem, like I've said before I don't think you learn much from individual performances in what are extraordinary circumstances.

My overriding feeling is that the team wasn't ready to play. From watching Carolina and the other teams play, they looked comfortably the least prepared. In terms of sharpness, physically, mentally and from a game plan perspective. I mean, physically they were dead in the 3rd tonight. You could tell almost immediately from puck drop that their legs had gone. It's tough to be too hard on Quinn and his staff for that, because again these are extraordinary circumstances and preparing for this tournament wasn't exact science. It's never been done before. Maybe our players didn't take care of themselves as well as other players during the layoff. Who knows. Maybe it's just because I know the Rangers so well and know what they're supposed to look like, but it seemed very obvious from the eye test that the Rangers were far off the preparation levels of others.

It did feel like Brind'amour had set his team up to play the Rangers and exploit their weaknesses, whereas the Rangers were playing pond hockey. I've gone after Quinn for failing to game plan properly and establish a system they can lean on, but this isn't the time or place for that.

One final note; if this was the final curtain for Lundqvist I'd hope fans could give him the respect he deserves for what has been an outstanding, HoF worthy career as a life long and one of the best Rangers ever. Sadly that won't happen.

Sad ending to what might have been a storybook finish. Still a YAYSAYER, as always. Many disappointments over my 66 years of watching the NYR. Looking forward to seeing which team comes out of this fiasco of a season with the S.C. Bye bye to all the NAYSAYERS... of which there are many here. Please do not forget to T. G! It'll brighten up your day!

I keep debating in my head, nobody is completely garbage, everybody has some good qualities.

Lundqvist of course has to retire.

McKegg makes no sense to bring back

Fast no idea if they bring him back I guess it depends on several things

I guess they might qualify Di Giuseppe

Due to NMC they likely need to trade Trouba

We have a lot of softish non physical players like Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, Panarin, Strome and many more that aren't very good defensively and aren't trusted at penalty killing.

But it?s the coaches fault

Generous lol

The Hurricanes literally did everything better. Every single aspect. That was pure domination.

It's really a shame because I'm not even sure how a team is supposed to learn from that.

I hope the organization learned that they are pretty far away from being a playoff caliber team.

This rebuild is not over.

I hope we put to bed any garbage about the goaltending. Igor's the starter next year, Hank's the backup. Trade Geo.

The rebuild is just beginning, let alone not being over. I still like the direction they're headed, but this was just a huge mismatch. I'm hoping this series helps Rangers' management perhaps think twice about giving paydays and long-term contracts to some of these guys. Unless Hank actually announces his retirement, or wants to get moved elsewhere, I still think he's the backup next year and they trade Georgiev. I guess the best part of this is that they have a %12.5 chance of getting the number one overall pick. Going on, you thought that it would be nice to also get some playoff experience for some of these players, but it looks to me like they got nothing out of it, really.

I hope the organization learned that they are pretty far away from being a playoff caliber team.

I hope we put to bed any garbage about the goaltending. Igor's the starter next year, Hank's the backup. Trade Geo.

The rebuild is just beginning, let alone not being over. I still like the direction they're headed, but this was just a huge mismatch. I'm hoping this series helps Rangers' management perhaps think twice about giving paydays and long-term contracts to some of these guys. Unless Hank actually announces his retirement, or wants to get moved elsewhere, I still think he's the backup next year and they trade Georgiev. I guess the best part of this is that they have a %12.5 chance of getting the number one overall pick. Going on, you thought that it would be nice to also get some playoff experience for some of these players, but it looks to me like they got nothing out of it, really.

I'm on board with you guys on this one;

I said it, and probably too many times already, that we are one season away from clearing out a lot of the excess contracts. After next season we lose Smith, Staal, Hank, and Shatty's 6.5 million buyout. I'm sick of buying out all Sather's dumb contracts and I can wait one more year before this team can compete.

After watching those 3 games, I can plainly see that we are no where even close to being a "Stanley Cup" caliber team. We do have a few players with promise, and I think the team will grow to be stronger, but it's gonna be a little while longer in my opinion.

This playoff season was just a fucking weird situation, and I'm not gonna get bent outta shape about this season. Most likely next season is going to be a weird one as well....so fuck it, this is the best time to rebuild, or in our case, continue to rebuild. At least we have a fairly decent shot at the #1 pick for this year, and who knows, we may just score some others in this upcoming draft.

But the bottom line is that the Rangers need to dump that excess 25 million on those 4 and put it towards where we're going, and not where we've been! We'll get there.....just gonna try and be patient. I believe in JD and Gorton, and I think they'll take care of business.

Which is why they should’ve traded Kreider.

I think it's safe to say that at the beginning of the season no on this forum thought the Rangers has a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs. They went on a nice little run after January but this was never a playoff team. I don't think we should be surprised that they were schooled by a much better, playoff ready/experienced team. This was a men vs. boys series. This little 'exhibition' was just gravy for this Rangers team. They're lucky they even got the experience. This is all about the future, not the present.

My questions are not about this series. My questions are about who is on this team next year and who isn't.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Tony, I like your most more realistic viewpoint on the playoff ouster. After hearing that the Rangers had 8! players in their first playoff series was quite sobering plus the layoff. I am not so down on the team, but actually proud of what they were accomplishing before the COVID and you got a brief glimpse of what the team will be capable of. With Igor we HAVE the building blocks to contend for some time.

Difference in the series was depth players.

Carolina has Staal, Martinook, Geekie, Williams, Foegele. These guys are hard to play against. Every shift.

Rangers have Gauthier, Howden (ran around and hit people but is not hard to play against), Lemieux hits but isnt a good player, Fogarty, McKegg Chytil, Kakko... these guys are not hard to play against. Not physical, not fast, not a scoring threat, weak defensively, they dont make you think or change your game. Theyre just... there. That's how you get swept.

This. We have what looks on paper to be a good crop of prospects. Once they can get here and get acclimated to the NHL, we should have a good team. There is no need to buy out Hank or Staal and lose the cap space for a year. It's not like they are close and need that one more player to put them over the top next year.

Difference in the series was depth players.

Carolina has Staal, Martinook, Geekie, Williams, Foegele. These guys are hard to play against. Every shift.

Rangers have Gauthier, Howden (ran around and hit people but is not hard to play against), Lemieux hits but isnt a good player, Fogarty, McKegg Chytil, Kakko... these guys are not hard to play against. Not physical, not fast, not a scoring threat, weak defensively, they dont make you think or change your game. Theyre just... there. That's how you get swept.

The other difference was that their offense showed up where the Rangers didn't. Our top 6 looked like they didn't want to be playing. This team spent way too much time in their zone, no offensive pressure. They scored what 3 or 4 goals the entire series, that is unacceptable.

I keep debating in my head, nobody is completely garbage, everybody has some good qualities.

Lundqvist of course has to retire.

McKegg makes no sense to bring back

Fast no idea if they bring him back I guess it depends on several things

I guess they might qualify Di Giuseppe

Due to NMC they likely need to trade Trouba

We have a lot of softish non physical players like Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov, Panarin, Strome and many more that aren't very good defensively and aren't trusted at penalty killing.

Kakko, chytil and Kravtsov are still rookies, I think they all can develope some physicality in their game, but at the moment they?re just boys vs seasoned vets, so ofcourse they will be bullied around from time to time.

We learned this series how important a good bottom-6 is. So Howden and Lias not even managing to turn into decent bottom-6 players could be a problem. They?re still young, but atleast Lias looks lost already.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kakko, chytil and Kravtsov are still rookies, I think they all can develope some physicality in their game, but at the moment they’re just boys vs seasoned vets, so ofcourse they will be bullied around from time to time.

We learned this series how important a good bottom-6 is. So Howden and Lias not even managing to turn into decent bottom-6 players could be a problem. They’re still young, but atleast Lias looks lost already.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree in concept.. but Chytil has 144 regular season games under his belt.. He's still a bit of a schizo who goes missing for long stretches too often. He needs to come to camp a much different guy I think.

I agree in concept.. but Chytil has 144 regular season games under his belt.. He's still a bit of a schizo who goes missing for long stretches too often. He needs to come to camp a much different guy I think.

He also hasn’t played with too much talent though either. He is still young, and still learning the game. I think he will be fine in the future. He is still only what 20 years old, he still has time to show us what he can do.

Guy needs a few shots of whisky....you know, in two months when he can buy it.