• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I want. At this point, I would love for him to get a Cup and further cement his legacy. It will suck that it wasn't here, of course, but it's better than nothing. Even moreso than McDonagh, Girardi, etc., it would really cement him as an all time great. I mean, I think he is anyway, but a title would be the cherry on top, as that's really the only he hasn't done.

If that does happen, he'll win the cup by sitting on the bench for a large part of the season/postseason. He's still 38 and won't magically regain the steps he's lost over the last few years (granted some of the issues were a shitpoor defense), so yes, he could add a cup to his resume but will he really be a major contributor to it? I've said before a backup role will not work well for him, he's usually pretty terrible coming in after a stretch of not playing, and any team doing their due diligence will know this, so who knows what kind of playing time he will actually get.

He had a great run and his service in NY was appreciated, I wish him well in the next phase wherever that may be.

While watching the Yankees post game last night, I saw it posted on the bottom of the screen ticker: "Ranger set to buy out Lundqvist". That's when it hit home. All the smoke and no fire for so long and whammo!, there you go!

I'm still tending to believe what Keirik said about this being "Hank driven". JD being a former goalie, and also a guy that when he came to the Rangers back in 1975, was greeted to a start in goal for Eddie Giacomin's first game back at MSG with the Red Wings!!! I forget what video I was watching but JD talks about it candidly. I remember watching it on TV, and he even said when he made some saves he got booed!!...even when Steve Vickers scored on Eddie, he got booed as well!

I can't imagine JD, who had been through that as a player would put another player in that same position or situation, but it's a business....but yeah I wanna go along with Keirik on this being on more Hank's wish.

I found the video...enjoy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJeXbfEHVR8

I've always liked the Avalanche, so I really hope it's there, obviously they have a great shot at winning the Cup next year and in the future too.

I'd love that, but I'm having a really hard time seeing a team riding this version of Hank to the Stanley Cup, unfortunately.

Yeah, I mean, Lundqvist hasn't been great in, like, three years or so. Unless he plays in front of an absolutely stacked team (Colorado), it will be hard. It still will be hard anyway. lol Even if he wins as a backup, it's fine. He has his Stanley Cup on his resume. That's basically all he has left to be a part of, even if he's a minor contributor to it. I just want it for him.

I?m not sure why this doesn?t bother me (emotionally) at this moment. Perhaps it hits when he actually signs with someone else. Otherwise, it?s a business move. I know Eli was able to ride pine his final season in NY but atleast Hank will (hopefully) get the opportunity he is likely looking for to start as the #1 elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah this is a tough one to swallow. All good things must come to an end though and it was slowly dragging towards this moment the last few years and it had become painfully obvious that there would be no happy ending to this story. Made especially harder when you consider how many magical moments this man gave us both in the regular season and the playoffs. He truly became the heart and soul of the Rangers and their backbone. So many big wins the in the last 15 years, that he was an integral part of...tough to look back on those now and know that chapter is closed.
  • Like 1

It was necessary because of past shitty decisions like Pete said. Overall it's a pretty pathetic ending to his Rangers' career.

Edit: I remember when he got his first win at MSG and the crowd was chanting his name. 15 years ago. Wow. Where does the time go?

I was there when he won his 1st game at MSG, crowd would chant his name and he would wave to the crowd while play was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk