• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why buy Lundqvist out in order to keep some replacement level garbage, like Georgiev? Just bite the bullet, it's going to be a shortened season, anyways.

Or, pull a Toronto. Use that second 1st to be done with him a la Marleau. The buyout pattern of this club is mind blowing.

Lundqvist's dead cap hit from a buyout this year doesn't matter whatsoever since the alternative is an 8.5M goalie in the press box every night.

The only question is if it is worth a $1.5M dead cap hit in the 21-22 season.

Current Dead Cap Hit:

2020-21: 7.5M (Girardi, Shattenkirk, Spooner)

2021-22: 2.5M (Girardi, Shattenkirk)

2022-23: 2.5M (Girardi, Shattenkirk)

So 2021-22 would become $4M of dead cap hit in a year they will have somewhere in the vicinity of $40M in free space to operate with.

This is a no-brainer just like Shattenkirk's buyout was a no-brainer, and it's the last buyout the Rangers will have to complete for hopefully a very long time.

Technically you’re in a better place if you approach Hank with a list of x amount of teams willing to take him and ask him where he wants to go. Offer to retain 4-5m of it or so. It saves the dead cap space for 21/22.

I say Colorado.

Max retention is 50% of the cap hit, so 4m would be about the max

Max retention is 50% of the cap hit, so 4m would be about the max

Yeah I thought there was something like that but wasn’t sure. Do you know if it’s 50% of his cap hit specifically or 50% of what’s owed to him since his signing bonus and the like are already paid out

any trade we make involving hank will require 50% retained. any contract with Georgiev is probably going to eat pretty significantly into the money we save moving Lundqvist so its not like we're really getting anywhere with that

I think honestly Id rather just trade Georgiev. But as Sod16 pointed out, the goalie market is a wee bit saturated at the moment. If he's part of a larger package trade, maybe involving the #22 pick, I'd go that route. Henrik will be a fine backup. Igor is still cost-controlled so its fine. when Hank retires/leaves after this year, im sure we can sign a stop gap veteran backup

any trade we make involving hank will require 50% retained. any contract with Georgiev is probably going to eat pretty significantly into the money we save moving Lundqvist so its not like we're really getting anywhere with that

I think honestly Id rather just trade Georgiev. But as Sod16 pointed out, the goalie market is a wee bit saturated at the moment. If he's part of a larger package trade, maybe involving the #22 pick, I'd go that route. Henrik will be a fine backup. Igor is still cost-controlled so its fine. when Hank retires/leaves after this year, im sure we can sign a stop gap veteran backup

Here's our guy BBB: http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2020/5/8/21252632/report-rangers-sign-prospect-tyler-wall-to-entry-level-contract-umass-lowell-ncaa-hartford-huska

I don't want anymore buyouts! I want to see us get out from under dead cap space...this year is going to be a growing year, so I don't mind Shatty's $6.5 million for this year, but good god, end it already! We're still paying for Girardi, and Ryan Spooner for god's sake!!

I wouldn't count on Wall being NHL ready so soon though. Let him develop in the coast, then the AHL while he can. a top gap backup goalie for a year or two would be good

I figure we have Hank for this coming year and possibly then Wall may be ready to make the jump....as a backup at least anyway ;)

Pierre LeBrun tweeted out that they've inquired with Pittsburgh about a deal involving Matt Murray. The asking price was a 1st rounder which I don't think Edmonton would do. Wonder if the Rangers can offer up Georgiev for Khaira. He wouldn't slot in as a 2c but he could be an effective bottom 6 center. He would help with size down the middle.

Pierre LeBrun tweeted out that they've inquired with Pittsburgh about a deal involving Matt Murray. The asking price was a 1st rounder which I don't think Edmonton would do. Wonder if the Rangers can offer up Georgiev for Khaira. He wouldn't slot in as a 2c but he could be an effective bottom 6 center. He would help with size down the middle.

I've honestly never heard of Khaira.

And according to his stats, he's not a player we need. He stinks.

Not a bad idea, but I don't know that the Rangers are looking to trade active players for picks anymore. They're ready to pick up NHL talent now

Wouldn't dealing either Georgiev or Hank for anything be addition by subtraction? It makes little sense to carry 3 goaltenders and have that much money on the books in one position.

Wouldn't dealing either Georgiev or Hank for anything be addition by subtraction? It makes little sense to carry 3 goaltenders and have that much money on the books in one position.

Dealing Georgiev is not addition by subtraction. He's a valuable NHL player. Hank is addition by subtraction which is why he won't get traded. He's worthless at this point on the market.

Dealing Georgiev is not addition by subtraction. He's a valuable NHL player. Hank is addition by subtraction which is why he won't get traded. He's worthless at this point on the market.

I think Hank can do the same role they would be counting on Georgiev to do just as effectively as Georgiev. I think you're over-valuing what Georgiev brings. To me, he's an average NHL backup goalie. Which is exactly what Hank could be. The problem is that Hank is probably impossible to move which means that if you don't buy him out (which I don't like that idea) then Georgiev, who has some value, would get moved. I'd prefer to move Georgiev for something, keep Hank as the backup for one more season until his contract expires, and then find another suitable backup. There is always a decent amount of veteran goalies kicking around UFA that could replicate what Georgiev/Hank do. Georgiev's GAA was 3.04 and save % was .910. Guys like Aaron Dell, Ryan Miller, Brian Elliot, and Cam Talbot all put up similar or better numbers and all are UFA's this year.

• Like 2

I think Hank can do the same role they would be counting on Georgiev to do just as effectively as Georgiev. I think you're over-valuing what Georgiev brings. To me, he's an average NHL backup goalie. Which is exactly what Hank could be. The problem is that Hank is probably impossible to move which means that if you don't buy him out (which I don't like that idea) then Georgiev, who has some value, would get moved. I'd prefer to move Georgiev for something, keep Hank as the backup for one more season until his contract expires, and then find another suitable backup. There is always a decent amount of veteran goalies kicking around UFA that could replicate what Georgiev/Hank do. Georgiev's GAA was 3.04 and save % was .910. Guys like Aaron Dell, Ryan Miller, Brian Elliot, and Cam Talbot all put up similar or better numbers and all are UFA's this year.

You are leaving out that Georgiev is 24, not 31, 40, 35, and 33 respectively.. Age has value.

You are leaving out that Georgiev is 24, not 31, 40, 35, and 33 respectively.. Age has value.

I think he has a little value that's why I think you trade him now while he does. Based on Hank's contract, he has no trade value whatsoever. The point of the comparisons wasn't about age, it was about performance and if he's replaceable. I think he's very replaceable and get something for him while he still holds value.