• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hank should have been moved back when the letter came out. A team in a rebuild does not need a $8.5m goalie, and an aging goalie without a Cup should be open to the idea of being moved. Unfortunately now he is just a cap killing distraction with no value. No reason to buy him out to extend the cap hit. Either Georgie has to be moved for a nice package, or Hank has to be a spectator while the young guys play. Hopefully we don’t have to hear any open competition nonsense.

Hank should have been moved back when the letter came out. A team in a rebuild does not need a $8.5m goalie, and an aging goalie without a Cup should be open to the idea of being moved. Unfortunately now he is just a cap killing distraction with no value. No reason to buy him out to extend the cap hit. Either Georgie has to be moved for a nice package, or Hank has to be a spectator while the young guys play. Hopefully we don’t have to hear any open competition nonsense.

Sure. But it's not that simple. They asked. He said no.

That's the way a NMC works.

That's not what I take from that JD quote at all. To me it sounds like they will find the most proper and respectful way to part ways with Lundqvist.

Typical management comments

Sounds like they will keep Lundqvist updated, but it’s not his choice, solely

Seems like we know as much as we did before they released the statement, they're not going to carry all three next season. How they solve that is still very much unknown. I still think unless Hank has had a change of heart and is willing to move or retire he's not going to be the odd man out.

I think I've figured it out. They are going to trade Georgiev and let Henrik play out his last year. No buyouts. I had never really looked at the cap situation in a while. If they stand pat then after next season they see $23.5 mil drop off the cap just from doing nothing but letting Henrik, Staal, and Smith expire and seeing Spooner and Shatty's buyouts reduce. No reason to add to the dead space. I think JD gave this away when he said that making the playoffs next season was not a must. Henrik plays one more season while top goalie prospect Tyler Wall gets the season in Hartford before replacing Lundqvist as Shesty's backup the next season. If Wall needs more time a cheap stopgap vet can be signed. This is the way.

I think I've figured it out. They are going to trade Georgiev and let Henrik play out his last year. No buyouts. I had never really looked at the cap situation in a while. If they stand pat then after next season they see $23.5 mil drop off the cap just from doing nothing but letting Henrik, Staal, and Smith expire and seeing Spooner and Shatty's buyouts reduce. No reason to add to the dead space. I think JD gave this away when he said that making the playoffs next season was not a must. Henrik plays one more season while top goalie prospect Tyler Wall gets the season in Hartford before replacing Lundqvist as Shesty's backup the next season. If Wall needs more time a cheap stopgap vet can be signed. This is the way.

FYI if they go another way, that dead cap space they add the year he would have been off the books is only 1.5m so they would go into that same offseason with 22m still.

You’re right. It’s probably what they do. However, as I said, I think there is a certain distraction to having Henrik around even without Georgiev. He’s the elephant in the room for who he is and what he’s been. I think the organization has to decide if they plan on offering him a contract past this one since he’s hinted he wants to play still. If the answer is no, then there is zero reason not to buy him out, for both sides sake.

I think a buy out would really result in no savings considering that the $3m reduction in cap hit would largely be consumed by the goalie who would be on the roster instead of him.
Bingo. All a buyout does is let them off the hook for a self created issue.

Sure. But it's not that simple. They asked. He said no.

That's the way a NMC works.

Of course, but that was before Shesty and Georgie emerged. If we don?t move Georgie it is time to have another conversation. If Hank still won?t go with the Rangers retaining most of the salary, then it should be made clear that he won?t be dressing unless there is an injury. This farewell tour has gone on long enough.

Hank would be a serviceable backup if the team in front of him was tight defensively.

The difference between Hank (and Geo) and Shesty is the ability to make the save you have no business making. We all know Hank used to have it. He doesn't anymore. The point being, if the only way you can win is 6-4 with the goalie standing on his head, then you've got bigger issues to address than letting your franchise player for the last 15 years finish the final year of his contract.

Hank would be a serviceable backup if the team in front of him was tight defensively.

The difference between Hank (and Geo) and Shesty is the ability to make the save you have no business making. We all know Hank used to have it. He doesn't anymore. The point being, if the only way you can win is 6-4 with the goalie standing on his head, then you've got bigger issues to address than letting your franchise player for the last 15 years finish the final year of his contract.

Nail —> head

Yup! I also think Hank would be a good resource for Shesty for next season. His experience and mentoring is going to be very valuable to Shesty!

The ideal is Hank decides to retire, freeing up the full $8.5M in cap space.

The net benefit to the salary cap of anything other than that is marginal. The only consideration is if Hank agrees to a trade where the team retains salary or they buy him out because they want to keep Georgiev.

A reason for that would be that Igor has yet to play a 40 game season in a pro league, so penciling him in for ~60 next season might not be best for his development. A 50-30ish split might be a better way to increase his load. How does Hank look over 30 games as a back up? Not great this past season, although Georgiev didn't look any better. I don't think Hank is likely to improve, where Georgiev does have a higher ceiling at this point.

The of course there is the marketing aspect. How they treat the aging face of the franchise is important.

I don't envy anyone in this situation. Hank shouldn't retire if he's not ready to leave the NHL. And the team does owe him that consideration, considering what he's meant to the Rangers.

• Like 1

The ideal is Hank decides to retire, freeing up the full $8.5M in cap space.

The net benefit to the salary cap of anything other than that is marginal. The only consideration is if Hank agrees to a trade where the team retains salary or they buy him out because they want to keep Georgiev.

A reason for that would be that Igor has yet to play a 40 game season in a pro league, so penciling him in for ~60 next season might not be best for his development. A 50-30ish split might be a better way to increase his load. How does Hank look over 30 games as a back up? Not great this past season, although Georgiev didn't look any better. I don't think Hank is likely to improve, where Georgiev does have a higher ceiling at this point.

The of course there is the marketing aspect. How they treat the aging face of the franchise is important.

I don't envy anyone in this situation. Hank shouldn't retire if he's not ready to leave the NHL. And the team does owe him that consideration, considering what he's meant to the Rangers.

Uggh. Rangers don?t owe Hank anything. He has cashed in to the tune of $8.5m per with a NMC contract. It would not be so bad if there wasn?t two young future goalies that need to be playing without such a distraction. Hank hanging around hurts us now and could hurt us in the future. It is clear what Hank should do if he is concerned about the Rangers.

I don't get the sentimental argument. They owe him 8.5 million dollars, and nothing more. He's a distraction, a major cap hindrance, and by my estimation, almost completely washed up.

All that said, I do think the best plan is to ride out the contract as the back-up, if he's unwilling to retire, or waive his NMC, which is irrelevant anyways considering there's not going to be a taker even at 50%.

I say he stays for pragmatic reasons, but why they owe him anything when other, equally important, equally talented, goalies were jettisoned throughout history I'll never agree with.

Uggh. Rangers don’t owe Hank anything. He has cashed in to the tune of $8.5m per with a NMC contract. It would not be so bad if there wasn’t two young future goalies that need to be playing without such a distraction. Hank hanging around hurts us now and could hurt us in the future. It is clear what Hank should do if he is concerned about the Rangers.

You're misunderstanding my point. They owe him the consideration that he may want to continue his NHL career. Meaning they shouldn't expect him to retire if he's not ready to or to waive his NMC so that they can send him to what ever team might want him at anywhere from $4.25M to $8.5M just to save them the cap space. The team gave him the contract with the NMC. So their option is to play him through the contract or buy him out.

You're misunderstanding my point. They owe him the consideration that he may want to continue his NHL career. Meaning they shouldn't expect him to retire if he's not ready to or to waive his NMC so that they can send him to what ever team might want him at anywhere from $4.25M to $8.5M just to save them the cap space. The team gave him the contract with the NMC. So their option is to play him through the contract or buy him out.

It is to the point with Hank that we need to pay him but not play him.

Let’s also not forget that Shesh has bonus clauses to up 2.8m I believe which probably are met next season. Something to consider. Unless I’m not understanding it correctly.

Edit. If he reaches those bonuses though they probably go against the following season cap, right? Then it wouldn’t be an issue.

I don't get the sentimental argument. They owe him 8.5 million dollars, and nothing more. He's a distraction, a major cap hindrance, and by my estimation, almost completely washed up.

All that said, I do think the best plan is to ride out the contract as the back-up, if he's unwilling to retire, or waive his NMC, which is irrelevant anyways considering there's not going to be a taker even at 50%.

I say he stays for pragmatic reasons, but why they owe him anything when other, equally important, equally talented, goalies were jettisoned throughout history I'll never agree with.

He has been loyal to the franchise. He took a team friendly 1 year, $4.25M contract in 07/08 to help the team cap-wise. He then signed a 6 year, $6.875M contract that was again, team friendly considering his stature and age at the time. Even in 14/15 as a UFA, he certainly could have made more on the open market. All along he has represented the team very well, both on and off the ice.

Now, they don't have to repay him with consideration at the end of his career. You're right, all they owe him is to honor the letter of his contract. They can try to force him to retire and bad mouth him to the press if they want. But that will have consequences for the franchise as well.