• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

The part I never understand in all of this is how Staal never gets brought up and Smith skates as well. I mean if u buy out Staal and trade Georgiev forcing a team to take Smith along as well, u save the embarrassment of ending Henrik time here and get the same cap relief.

I get it. Smith is hard to trade, but not impossible going into his last year of a contract.

With the logjam of young defense hard to understand. Smith actually wasn't awful last season. May be a guy facing being out of the NHL after getting fat dumb and happy with his last contract got his attention. Staal is simply terrible. Nice guy, but done as a player.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I oils to do that either. That late first could be a very good player for our future. If we were one piece away from a cup then maybe but Henrik at worst is gone after this year. No reason to trade a late 1st just to speed that up. At worst we lose Strome because of cap. I?m okay with that and revisit this next offseason if we still aren?t happy with a 2nd center.

Voice of reason

Staal is nowhere near as bad as fans think.

He's constantly a pair with defensive disasters Pionk and ADA.

It’s not about how bad either is. It’s about how they are paid and being third pairings or winger ffs. They could move on from both and not miss a beat.

He really isn’t awful. He’s legitimately serviceable out there and should be for 1 more season

As for what he’s paid, welcome to guaranteed contracts in professional sports. When you pay a guy who is your guy eventually it catches up to you and the back end of the deal hurts.

He really isn’t awful. He’s legitimately serviceable out there and should be for 1 more season

As for what he’s paid, welcome to guaranteed contracts in professional sports. When you pay a guy who is your guy eventually it catches up to you and the back end of the deal hurts.

Yeah yeah yeah, I get that. However we are talking about buying out Henrik. Staal barely ends up as a pimple on the King’s ass in Comparison yet we discuss how he can’t be here for one more year.

Yeah yeah yeah, I get that. However we are talking about buying out Henrik. Staal barely ends up as a pimple on the King?s ass in Comparison yet we discuss how he can?t be here for one more year.
The answer is simply that there's nobody beating down the door at left defense.

Hajek is trash, Rykov left, Miller probably needs time.

There's a long jam and goalie, there's no long jam at left defense. Right defense is another story.

I've gotten on Staal for the last couple of seasons, and I'll agree that he's not terrible, and Pete makes a good point; he has been paired with just about every bad defenseman we've had through his career here. However he's an older player, who's in the last year of his big contract and his cap hit has been an eyesore to me over the last 3 seasons. I'll give the guy credit though; he gave up his eyesight for this team, and he's had a fairly good career here. It's just simply time to move forward from him after this coming season. I can't think he has much left in the tank, even for a future 1 year deal.

The part I never understand in all of this is how Staal never gets brought up and Smith skates as well. I mean if u buy out Staal and trade Georgiev forcing a team to take Smith along as well, u save the embarrassment of ending Henrik time here and get the same cap relief.

I get it. Smith is hard to trade, but not impossible going into his last year of a contract.

Because they have more goalies than they have NHL calibre LHD.

I would 100% bring Staal back for 1.2m (which is what he's actually getting paid this year). His play isn't the problem, his money is the problem.

Nah, his play is definitely a problem. His pay just makes it worse. Even at $1.2 million, he's not a very effective puck-mover, is slow as molasses, and loses coverage. He's basically Luke Schenn at this point.

Nah, his play is definitely a problem. His pay just makes it worse. Even at $1.2 million, he's not a very effective puck-mover, is slow as molasses, and loses coverage. He's basically Luke Schenn at this point.

Yeah, I think he's done after this year. With all the cash we have coming off the books after this season, I think we should be able to get (buy or trade for) some player that fits a lot better going forward and becomes part of the system we employ.

for that 6-7 role? Who are you going to get to fill that?

Luke Schenn, LOL.

According to Spotrac, his base salary is 1.2 with 3 million signing bonus.

Either way. At around 1 million, I'd resign him.

It's a moot point, anyway. If the Rangers bought him out, they'd be barred from re-signing him anyway.

i thought staal was o.k. this year. seems to command a lot of respect in the locker room which i would like to think still has to be earned.

no buyouts. let things go and the year after we are looking at heaven with the cap hits that come off the books. like the idea of trading hank but who knows. the sirious boys are talking up an active FA season goalie wise. we have a ton of draft picks, another team falls in love who knows what happens.

this team is still a solid blue line away from seriously competing.

• Like 1

I think the point is a little off here, Lundqvist has a cap hit of 8.5 mil. but an actual salary of 4.5 mil. once he gets his 1 mil. bonus.

There should be teams out there looking for the cap hit to reach the cap floor without paying the actual. So players like Lundqvist and Smith who?s cap hit is 4.35 mil?- 2.35 mil actual after his 1 mil. signing bonus should be tradeable.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPPyok-bcIk

Not sure if this has been posted but Nick Kypreos says NHL players are talking about Hank retiring.

Section about Hank at 59 minutes.

The more they talk about it the more I realize I'm not ready for it. I think it's easier to see him gone in a hypothetical scenario, but finally seeing it happen is almost surreal to me. It sucks that he can't go out anywhere on his terms.

The more they talk about it the more I realize I'm not ready for it. I think it's easier to see him gone in a hypothetical scenario, but finally seeing it happen is almost surreal to me. It sucks that he can't go out anywhere on his terms.

Yep it'll be sad and officially the end of an era.

But there's just so much promise with the team right now. And I can see a scenario where Hank moves into the front office somehow.