• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lundqvist is like a great guest that has overstayed his welcome.

Yeah, by about four fuckin years.

They moved on from Messier in a non cap league, with an unlimited payroll. They traded Brian Fuckin Leetch. Management isn't stupid, they have no use for him, he's here because his contract says he can be here, a buy out is grossly prohibitive and no other reasons. It's actually quite sad it's come to this.

Yeah, by about four fuckin years.

They moved on from Messier in a non cap league, with an unlimited payroll. They traded Brian Fuckin Leetch. Management isn't stupid, they have no use for him, he's here because his contract says he can be here, a buy out is grossly prohibitive and no other reasons. It's actually quite sad it's come to this.

Well the previous management was stupid enough to give him that contract, and Lundqvist was stupid if he thought he would still be an effective goalie at 38/39.

If my faulty memory still works, didn't Henrik actually leave some $$$ behind just so Sather could squander it in hopes of making the team around him better? Asking the guy to walk away from this final year of money is not even remotely happening. If it's Hank's idea...for whatever his reason could be...then we will canonize him in gold. Otherwise, wait for the number to rise to the rafter and cheer loud as fuck for all the good games he gave us and wait for the HOF call.

Hank never left any money on the table ever.

Nor should he have.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well the previous management was stupid enough to give him that contract, and Lundqvist was stupid if he thought he would still be an effective goalie at 38/39.

Yeah, everyone?s stupid.

Henrik is 38 now and he?s definitely an ?effective? goalie. Not the best, not as good he was, but still a decent goalie. If he earned 6m less I would gladly take him as the backup next season.

Same as almost every long-term contract it got ugly in the end, but thats how it is. We wanted him locked down in his prime years and we had to pay by giving him a year or two too much.

Henrik signed the contract he got and has played his ass of ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kovalchuk was pissed about taxes and escrow. He thought he could make more money in Russia. Forbes did a write up on it. He ended up making about $3.5M less over the course of the four seasons he played in Russia, so that gamble didn't pay off. Unless of course the oil oligarchs padded his salary under the table.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanlake/2018/07/10/chasing-the-money-kovalchuks-cautionary-tale/#46df5e623884

I think it’s worth keeping hank another year

Aside from the sentimental/he’s a legend here and you should try and do right by him/he has a contract that he earned and he’s entitled to play it out

Georgiev has trade value now. Teams are going to pay more to get some cost controlled years out of him. Regardless of if we lose ha k this offseason or not, if Igor’s career plays out the way we hope, georgiev becomes a backup goalie that we have to trade before he gets paid too much to justify keeping him. We’ll have to trade him eventually anyway

Maybe in ‘21-22 a backup like Wall or Huska is ready to be a backup. Maybe we have to sign a backup.

8.5 is a lot to pay for a backup goalie. But when you have a high quality starter still on an ELC, maybe it’s a bit easier to stomach for a year

I think it’s worth keeping hank another year

Aside from the sentimental/he’s a legend here and you should try and do right by him/he has a contract that he earned and he’s entitled to play it out

Georgiev has trade value now. Teams are going to pay more to get some cost controlled years out of him. Regardless of if we lose ha k this offseason or not, if Igor’s career plays out the way we hope, georgiev becomes a backup goalie that we have to trade before he gets paid too much to justify keeping him. We’ll have to trade him eventually anyway

Maybe in ‘21-22 a backup like Wall or Huska is ready to be a backup. Maybe we have to sign a backup.

8.5 is a lot to pay for a backup goalie. But when you have a high quality starter still on an ELC, maybe it’s a bit easier to stomach for a year

That remains to be seen. Every team has their version of Wall or Huska or a seasoned pro or on the bench or in the AHL already. Again, Georgiev as of now is a backup. There are lots of backups, be they draftees, old guys, in the AHL in every team's system. Nobody is paying much for Georgiev.

Only 3 reasonably expectable ways this situation resolves itself.

1) Trade Georgiev

2) Buy out Hank

3) Hank retires

That’s basically it.

Its hard to see Hank retiring and leaving $4.5 million on the table, especially when he clearly feels like he can still play and contribute.

A buyout is really difficult to see with him too, given what he’s meant to the franchise.

Only 3 reasonably expectable ways this situation resolves itself.

1) Trade Georgiev

2) Buy out Hank

3) Hank retires

That’s basically it.

Its hard to see Hank retiring and leaving $4.5 million on the table, especially when he clearly feels like he can still play and contribute.

A buyout is really difficult to see with him too, given what he’s meant to the franchise.

Pretty much. He's not that nice of a guy to leave that much money on the table. lol I don't really see him being bought out, either, even though it's just one year. I think JD wants to keep everything on good terms with him, he knows what Hank means to this organization. Like I said before, I just think Georgiev gets dealt at Draft time. This team still has needs and he's someone you can deal to help get you some. It's not a huge deal having Henrik around for another year, helping Shesterkin. He's going to play 60+ games anyway. I don't think Henrik's 20 starts or whatever is going to kill the team. It's not like they absolutely have to make the playoffs next year. They still very well could, but I look at it as another transitional year.

That remains to be seen. Every team has their version of Wall or Huska or a seasoned pro or on the bench or in the AHL already. Again, Georgiev as of now is a backup. There are lots of backups, be they draftees, old guys, in the AHL in every team's system. Nobody is paying much for Georgiev.

Yeah I mean I’m not saying his value is like when people thought we could get Edmonton’s first overall for Cam Talbot lol

But I don’t see his value greatly increasing over a couple of years, especially when teams can sign him cheaper now than they likely will be able to in 2-3 years. And we seem to have made up our minds that Igor is the franchise goalie. So why wait on moving him when we can get immediate assets now? Hank will be a capable backup and be gone after the season. I’m sure we can find a way to bring in a capable backup for not too much when the time comes if we need to.

I still think Hank staying means we keep the distraction and that’s not good for the club. What happens when mid season he says he thinks he can play another year or two?

This assumes Georgiev has already moved on since they won't be carrying three goalies all season. If Hank thinks he can still play and his play shows that he still has value to the team, he can sign a one year extension to continue to back up Igor. It will be a low cap, bonus laden contract.

The distraction this season was in having three goalies. They can't do that all next season and it seems they're aware of it. Once that situation is resolved, if it is with Hank remaining, there's no distraction anymore.

I still think Hank staying means we keep the distraction and that’s not good for the club. What happens when mid season he says he thinks he can play another year or two?

Hank is widely loved by the Rangers fan base. This gets him his season in the sun and retirement tour. That has a net benefit for the organization. Celebrates history and the brand. Separates the old from the new. Dots is and crosses ts. We're not winning any Cups in 20-21 anyway.

This assumes Georgiev has already moved on since they won't be carrying three goalies all season. If Hank thinks he can still play and his play shows that he still has value to the team, he can sign a one year extension to continue to back up Igor. It will be a low cap, bonus laden contract.

The distraction this season was in having three goalies. They can't do that all next season and it seems they're aware of it. Once that situation is resolved, if it is with Hank remaining, there's no distraction anymore.

Agreed. Not having three goalies, and Lundqvist "accepting" the backup role in this theory solves issues. If Lundqvist is agreeable to being a backup I don't see much issue. He's still capable in that role.

Yeah I’m assuming Georgie is moved on this offseason. I’m saying when Hank is doing his Ranger retirement tour there will probably be questions for the whole team from time to time on what Hank means, his legacy, etc. then mid season when he reiterates he’s not done since he said previously he would like to play 1-2 more seasons yet still doesn’t want a trade though. I see that as a further distraction. Personally, I think this team plays very different with Hank there. Could be intimidation a bit, playing a bit tighter, or something along those lines. The eye test for me says they play much worse. I really don’t think it’s in the teams best interest to keep that going further past next year at all.

Yeah I’m assuming Georgie is moved on this offseason. I’m saying when Hank is doing his Ranger retirement tour there will probably be questions for the whole team from time to time on what Hank means, his legacy, etc. then mid season when he reiterates he’s not done since he said previously he would like to play 1-2 more seasons yet still doesn’t want a trade though. I see that as a further distraction. Personally, I think this team plays very different with Hank there. Could be intimidation a bit, playing a bit tighter, or something along those lines. The eye test for me says they play much worse. I really don’t think it’s in the teams best interest to keep that going further past next year at all.

I've been shitting all over the idea that the Rangers somehow pressure Hank to leave before his contract is up. However, I think that an agreement with the Rangers - that if he stays through the contract he then gracefully departs - is very possible. Good question about how to quell speculation, but Hank could help with that.

I've been shitting all over the idea that the Rangers somehow pressure Hank to leave before his contract is up. However, I think that an agreement with the Rangers - that if he stays through the contract he then gracefully departs - is very possible. Good question about how to quell speculation, but Hank could help with that.

I don?t think the Rangers should under any circumstances try to pressure him, belittle him, or publicly give any negative statements. In the past I?ve said they should make a more forceful pitch towards him, privately. Very privately. I?m in favor of buying him out. I just am because I don?t think we are winning a cup next year and no way I think they should continually bring him back on one year deals unless he?s legit taking low end of the league backup money around 1-1.5m which in of itself is sort of a slap in the face towards his legacy here.

I?m only in favor of buying him out for two reasons. The first is that I think Georgiev has more potential at this stage of his careerto trend up and cost relatively low, around the savings we would get with his buyout with a small amount left for a rainy day. The second is because I do personally think every day he dresses he is a slight distraction with the possibility of being a larger one if he starts saying he wants to play beyond next year. Heck you can make a case that him retiring at the end of next year becomes a pretty big distraction too when he plays one game every two weeks and is on the tour.

I don't understand, do you think after his contract is up Lundqvist will refuse to leave MSG and they will have to call security to have him removed from the building?