• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

Let’s also not forget that Shesh has bonus clauses to up 2.8m I believe which probably are met next season. Something to consider. Unless I’m not understanding it correctly.

Edit. If he reaches those bonuses though they probably go against the following season cap, right? Then it wouldn’t be an issue.

The team has the option to roll over bonuses they don't have the cap space for to the following season's cap. I forget whether there is a maximum they can rollover.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been loyal to the franchise. He took a team friendly 1 year, $4.25M contract in 07/08 to help the team cap-wise. He then signed a 6 year, $6.875M contract that was again, team friendly considering his stature and age at the time. Even in 14/15 as a UFA, he certainly could have made more on the open market. All along he has represented the team very well, both on and off the ice.

Now, they don't have to repay him with consideration at the end of his career. You're right, all they owe him is to honor the letter of his contract. They can try to force him to retire and bad mouth him to the press if they want. But that will have consequences for the franchise as well.

Would not strike me as JD's style or MO.

I don't get the sentimental argument. They owe him 8.5 million dollars, and nothing more. He's a distraction, a major cap hindrance, and by my estimation, almost completely washed up.

All that said, I do think the best plan is to ride out the contract as the back-up, if he's unwilling to retire, or waive his NMC, which is irrelevant anyways considering there's not going to be a taker even at 50%.

I say he stays for pragmatic reasons, but why they owe him anything when other, equally important, equally talented, goalies were jettisoned throughout history I'll never agree with.

I think they owe him 4.5 mil the rest were already paid upfront.

He has been loyal to the franchise. He took a team friendly 1 year, $4.25M contract in 07/08 to help the team cap-wise. He then signed a 6 year, $6.875M contract that was again, team friendly considering his stature and age at the time. Even in 14/15 as a UFA, he certainly could have made more on the open market. All along he has represented the team very well, both on and off the ice.

Now, they don't have to repay him with consideration at the end of his career. You're right, all they owe him is to honor the letter of his contract. They can try to force him to retire and bad mouth him to the press if they want. But that will have consequences for the franchise as well.

He owes the Rangers a lot more than they owe him, ultimately he failed to get the Cup, and his huge cap hit played a role in it. Now the team asks him to do the RIGHT thing for the team and for the fans and retire at almost 39 years of age. I think Rangers are reasonably is asking him to do so.

The conversation they are having probably just goes along the lines of you will remain here until you tell us you want to be traded.

Very little chance they do anything different. That’s hey it will continue to be a distraction, even after they move on from Georgiev.

They can tell him "you will be 3rd goalie and sit almost all games in the stands if you don't retire". it is his choice how he wants the fans to remember him: as selfish/greedy a-hole that wanted to be a distraction, or as selfless team player that sacrificed several millions to help the team with the salary cap and not be a distraction. We will not and should not trade Georgiev at below market value to make 39 yearold primadonna happy.

He owes the Rangers a lot more than they owe him, ultimately he failed to get the Cup, and his huge cap hit played a role in it. Now the team asks him to do the RIGHT thing for the team and for the fans and retire at almost 39 years of age. I think Rangers are reasonably is asking him to do so.

It's a team sport. No goalie is going to win the Cup single handed. Hank's given them multiple opportunities to win it all. He's done his job exceedingly well over the course of his career. He's been paid well for it, but he could have made more if cash was his only concern. Instead he certainly left money on the table to remain a Ranger.

The Rangers can (and reportedly did) ask if he was open to being traded when they wrote the letter. He was not. If you have information that they've "asked him to do the RIGHT thing" now and what exactly that means, please share. If not, you're just speculating, which is fine and fun sometimes, but it's not reality.

They can tell him "you will be 3rd goalie and sit almost all games in the stands if you don't retire". it is his choice how he wants the fans to remember him: as selfish/greedy a-hole that wanted to be a distraction, or as selfless team player that sacrificed several millions to help the team with the salary cap and not be a distraction. We will not and should not trade Georgiev at below market value to make 39 yearold primadonna happy.

They would never do that. If they are going to pay three goalies, then three goalies are going to have the chance to earn/keep a spot. To suggest that the Rangers should resort to beer-league tactics regarding the professional athletes under contract with them is nonsensical. I can't see it happening. They would immediately lose credibility with agents around the league.

The management of the team got themselves into this situation and they will professionally navigate it.

I just hope they deal with the situation now. As in, no buy out. You can ask him politely to waive his NTC, again, and when he says no, he's your backup.

Just deal with this season without kicking any more cans down the road,and they'll be well positioned for 21-22.

This is how I see JD playing it as well and rightfully so imo.

I just hope they deal with the situation now. As in, no buy out. You can ask him politely to waive his NTC, again, and when he says no, he's your backup.

Just deal with this season without kicking any more cans down the road,and they'll be well positioned for 21-22.

Yeah. This might not even be the summer to go get a center. Maybe the play is to stand pat for one more year. Let the Kakkos and Lafreniers and Chytils of the world have a full NHL season and then "go for it" after Staal, Hank, and Smith are dead.

They might even get in the playoffs next season.

• Like 1

This is how I see JD playing it as well and rightfully so imo.

Yeah. This might not even be the summer to go get a center. Maybe the play is to stand pat for one more year. Let the Kakkos and Lafreniers and Chytils of the world have a full NHL season and then "go for it" after Staal, Hank, and Smith are dead.

They might even get in the playoffs next season.

I'm with you guys all the way on this one! :thumbs:

He’s a selfish/greedy a-hole for not walking away and just leaving several million dollars on the table?

I mean, what fucking planet are you on.

• Like 1

If my faulty memory still works, didn't Henrik actually leave some $$$ behind just so Sather could squander it in hopes of making the team around him better? Asking the guy to walk away from this final year of money is not even remotely happening. If it's Hank's idea...for whatever his reason could be...then we will canonize him in gold. Otherwise, wait for the number to rise to the rafter and cheer loud as fuck for all the good games he gave us and wait for the HOF call.

From same planet as Naslund, Kevin Klein, Kovalchuk, and many others that have honor and ability to see when it is time to call it quits.

Kovalchuk called it quits? Is that why he's on Washington?

No one is going to look back on Lundqvist and remember him for his final few seasons. They'll remember the majority in which he was the sole reason for the team's competitiveness which resulted in him being the most successful Rangers goalie in the history of the organization short of a Stanley Cup.

Kovalchuk called it quits? Is that why he's on Washington?

No one is going to look back on Lundqvist and remember him for his final few seasons. They'll remember the majority in which he was the sole reason for the team's competitiveness which resulted in him being the most successful Rangers goalie in the history of the organization short of a Stanley Cup.

He retired from NHL for a long time while still in his prime, he just came back recently. By retiring from NHL he helped the Devils out with their Cap situation.

He retired from NHL for a long time while still in his prime, he just came back recently. By retiring from NHL he helped the Devils out with their Cap situation.

Um, yeah no. He retired in action only and then went to play in the KHL on a superteam where he was still earning good money for the KHL. And he helped the Devils? His signing in NJ and subsequent fleeing to the KHL were marred in controversy. Devils fans hate him for abandoning them.

Yes, but that wasn't his goal. His goal was to make more money in the KHL than he could in the NHL.