• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1-1.5M is not chump change when you'll be up against the cap. Ask Tampa. If Fast needs a matching offer at 3M to stay and we can only go to 2.5M because of the cap, well, it needs to come from somewhere.
If Fast is leaving over half a million then he can go.

We have

Buch

Kakko

Gauthier

Chytil

Kravtsov

Justin Richards

Who can line up at RW. Not having a million for next year alone isn't a problem.

I mean, we're all speculating. But personally, I think a lot of people are over thinking this massively.

If they decide to move Georgiev, it will be with the understanding that Lundqvist is Shesterkins back up. It's not as if Lundqvist is a child who is going to walk around MSG sulking and causing a stink if he isn't starting. He's a total professional, and I don't see him being a distraction at all. I also don't see how Gorton is going to be under pressure to keep him going on rolling 1 year deals. If he does well as back up and is willing to take a sensible deal for another year they'll explore that. If it doesn't work or his not willing to play on a backup contract, they won't. I can't see a scenario where Gorton is being strong armed into keeping him on against his will.

I think the only potential problem with Lundqvist staying as back up is whether he can do the job adequately.

That's highly debateable because it depends on how much you think Georgiev would get. I don't think Georgiev gets anywhere near the cap savings of 3M on a 1-2 yr deal. Probably more in the 1.5-2M range, which saves 1-1.5M against the cap and is nothing to sneeze at.

Having just spent some part of my life I'll never get back in the weird, quirky world of back-up goalie salaries, I'll give you partial credit. Not likely to be $3m, but if Georgie's agent doesn't get him more than $2m he needs a new agent. If I was that guy, I would go in using Bernier ($3.0m), Korpisalo ($2.8m), Khudobin ($2.5m), Halak ($2.25m), and at least Francouz and Elliot ($2.0m each) as comps. NYR might counter with Demko ($1.05m), Ullmark ($1.325m), and Campbell ($1,625m), but I think I could paint them as the outliers.

But all of which is to say that my money is on Georgiev coming in at $2-2.5, which leaves NYR less than $1m to spend on anything else, which ultimately supports my statement that buying out Hank will not solve the Rangers' cap problems. Yes, it's always better to have $500k-$750k you don't have. It's better to have $10 you don't have, but I don't believe it is a consideration that will weigh heavily in how JD deals with the Hank situation.

Just a thought,

Hank wants to win the cup with the Rangers.. I would tell him go play this year back home, and next year we will sign you as a backup for 1 or 1.5 mil for two years.

We are not winning the cup in 20-21, even if everything goes good with trades and getting players that we need, team will still need a year to gel together.

Good for the Rangers- no 8.5 mil against the cap for 20-21.

Good for Hank - still gets a chance to play in 2021-23 and a chance to win the cup.

Both Hank and organization show loyalty to each other and everyone is happy.

I think if he's going to Sweden it would mean he is retiring. I don't think he's eligible to get the buyout money in that case and it would be pretty messed up if he took it and didn't play again.

If he retires no buyout. If he gets bought out, then doesn’t get good offers from nhl teams and returns home, it doesn’t cancel his buyout.

For next year it will either be Georgie getting dealt or Hank getting bought out. If things work out as expected with Shesty we can go with one of our young guys as a back up for 21-22.

Thankfully Hank hanging around doesn’t seem to have hurt Shesty and his contract will be off the books when the team is ready to compete.

Just a thought,

Hank wants to win the cup with the Rangers.. I would tell him go play this year back home, and next year we will sign you as a backup for 1 or 1.5 mil for two years.

We are not winning the cup in 20-21, even if everything goes good with trades and getting players that we need, team will still need a year to gel together.

Good for the Rangers- no 8.5 mil against the cap for 20-21.

Good for Hank - still gets a chance to play in 2021-23 and a chance to win the cup.

Both Hank and organization show loyalty to each other and everyone is happy.

That’s not a possibility (I think). The only way his cap doesn’t count is if he officially retires from the NHL. When he does that though, he files papers and I believe he has to go through a process before he can return that takes a while to complete.

technically if Rangers buy out Lundqvist they owe him only 2/3 of the remaining money (which I think is 4.5 mil) so 2/3 of that is 3 mil. So by retiring he is walking away from 3 million, but he will probably get paid at least 2 Mil to play for Frolunda. This is a no brainer. Be a top dog in native Sweden with his twin brother where the season begins in few weeks or be a miserable sour pus backup for a long NHL season that starts in December.

technically if Rangers buy out Lundqvist they owe him only 2/3 of the remaining money (which I think is 4.5 mil) so 2/3 of that is 3 mil. So by retiring he is walking away from 3 million, but he will probably get paid at least 2 Mil to play for Frolunda. This is a no brainer. Be a top dog in native Sweden with his twin brother where the season begins in few weeks or be a miserable sour pus backup for a long NHL season that starts in December.
What are you even talking about? Miserable sour puss? He's a class act who's handled this like a professional.

Where do you get this stuff?

Right, but the part that confuses me the most is the start of the next NHL season in december. In the year 2021?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No. In four months. There's only a two-month gap between the end of the Stanley Cup (first week of October) to the start of 2020-21 (first week of December).

What are you even talking about? Miserable sour puss? He's a class act who's handled this like a professional.

Where do you get this stuff?

There are plenty interviews that Lundqvist gave where he was not happy with his treatment. But seems like you ignored the main point I was making and focused on whether he is a sour pus or not. Honestly that isn't even important.

Scenario I missed is if he gets bought out and signs with another NHL team in hopes of finally winning the Cup.

There are plenty interviews that Lundqvist gave where he was not happy with his treatment.

Link one then. What vocal dissatisfaction has he expressed? Did I miss Lundqvist going on a tirade when Shesterkin was officially named the starter? He sat on the bench for the final few months without a peep. That all preceded the trade deadline. He could've demanded an out. He didn't. So what exactly did he express?

Lundquist had handled this as the ULTIMATE Professional. This organization has some goalie prospects; trade Georgiev and let Hank backup Shesty this year. Seems like a no brainer. He is a serviceable backup goalie and I hope this is the path they take.

If your life depended on winning one hockey game in 2020 which of our three goalies would you not dress? For me it is a no brainer that it would be Hank. Statistically or just the eye test.

Why do so many people go out of their way to carve out a role for Hank going forward. Let him be the back up, let him got to Sweden for a year and then back to the Rangers, etc.. Hank has not been good for a while. If Shesty got hurt or had a bad stretch I would much rather have Georgie around as a Plan B.

If people are just worried about sentiment we should have kept McD, Stepan, Hayes, Miller, Gerardi, and Zuc around and not even done a rebuild. Most of those guys had a lot more tread still on the tire than Hank has.

If your life depended on winning one hockey game in 2020 which of our three goalies would you not dress? For me it is a no brainer that it would be Hank. Statistically or just the eye test.

Why do so many people go out of their way to carve out a role for Hank going forward. Let him be the back up, let him got to Sweden for a year and then back to the Rangers, etc.. Hank has not been good for a while. If Shesty got hurt or had a bad stretch I would much rather have Georgie around as a Plan B.

If people are just worried about sentiment we should have kept McD, Stepan, Hayes, Miller, Gerardi, and Zuc around and not even done a rebuild. Most of those guys had a lot more tread still on the tire than Hank has.

None of those players have any relevance to Lundqvist. None of them are the Hall of Famer and the face of the franchise that he is. They're trying not to shit on his legacy. I don't see what's wrong with that.

None of those players have any relevance to Lundqvist. None of them are the Hall of Famer and the face of the franchise that he is. They're trying not to shit on his legacy. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Those players have relevance to my point not to get caught up in sentiment. Was not comparing career accomplishments. In the minds of many fans Hank is ‘shitting’ on his own legacy. Father Time is still undefeated.