• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the one trying to equate a goalie with one Vezina to the greatest player of an entire generation as being equally worthy of some kind of farewell tour.
Be careful with the wording, I'm not trying to equate them.

They're simply their teams franchise players over the last 15 years.

Who's getting distracted by this? It's surely not Shesty. He wasn't distracted when there was three goalies on the roster.

Yeah its the same bringing up a 3 time cup champion, 2 time Hart AND Conn Smythe winner from a team that was bankrupt and on the brink of relocating to Henrik because well, he won a Vezina and has nice hair. There are faces of franchises and there are legends of the game. Big big difference.

I can’t tell you exactly who could be distracted but the team plays different. They just do. In 2020 he has 1 win. ONE. His save percentages for those games he started since January are as follows.

.919 (playoffs)

.882 (playoffs)

And that’s just this year when he isn’t in his last year as a Ranger. You know what? I know who’s it a distraction to. Him, because even for back up numbers those are dog poo. I don’t see how that’s even remotely healthy for the organization at all and I do worry that it could get worse and distract our incredibly young and inexperienced team and coach.

• Like 1

Yeah its the same bringing up a 3 time cup champion, 2 time Hart AND Conn Smythe winner from a team that was bankrupt and on the brink of relocating to Henrik because well, he won a Vezina and has nice hair. There are faces of franchises and there are legends of the game. Big big difference.

I can?t tell you exactly who could be distracted but the team plays different. They just do. In 2020 he has 1 win. ONE. His save percentages for those games he started since January are as follows.

.919 (playoffs)

.882 (playoffs)

And that?s just this year when he isn?t in his last year as a Ranger. You know what? I know who?s it a distraction to. Him, because even for back up numbers those are dog poo. I don?t see how that?s even remotely healthy for the organization at all and I do worry that it could get worse and distract our incredibly young and inexperienced team and coach.

So swap Hank and Joe Thornton. Is he distracting the Sharks?

How did they do this season? I bet his one last kick at the can doesn’t help anything. This season for them was supposed to include playoffs.

Sorry, I meant swap Sid for Thorton and go with the same scenario.

What was distracting for the Sharks was the loss of Pavelski, not "Is it Joe's last rodeo? Will he ask for a trade?"

Similarly, Hank's bon voyage will be a distant sub-head to Zib captaincy, Panarin MVP, and ALF. ;-)

What was distracting for the Sharks was the loss of Pavelski, not "Is it Joe's last rodeo? Will he ask for a trade?"

Similarly, Hank's bon voyage will be a distant sub-head to Zib captaincy, Panarin MVP, and ALF. ;-)

It’s a very difficult thing to debate since there is no way to quantify it. Maybe if we swap the idea of distraction with the idea that the others players might never fully feel like it’s their team as long as Hank is still here.

Personally, I just think behind closed doors it has to be a bit uncomfortable seeing a 8m franchise goalie walking around the team with a voice given he plays once every 2 weeks. Might make a player that might otherwise try to take the reigns a bit hesitant as long as Hank is there. Not his fault, but it is what it is. The sooner it’s over the better for everyone I think.

It’s like trying to have a nice house warming party with your friends and family. Only problem is, you bought the house from your ex wife, she’s at the party too, and she still hasn’t given all the keys back lol

It’s a very difficult thing to debate since there is no way to quantify it. Maybe if we swap the idea of distraction with the idea that the others players might never fully feel like it’s their team as long as Hank is still here.

Personally, I just think behind closed doors it has to be a bit uncomfortable seeing a 8m franchise goalie walking around the team with a voice given he plays once every 2 weeks. Might make a player that might otherwise try to take the reigns a bit hesitant as long as Hank is there. Not his fault, but it is what it is. The sooner it’s over the better for everyone I think.

It’s like trying to have a nice house warming party with your friends and family. Only problem is, you bought the house from your ex wife, she’s at the party too, and she still hasn’t given all the keys back lol

I'd think of it more as substituting your grandmother for your ex-wife. Everybody at the party is gonna think you're an asshole for pushing your grandma out. So you gotta do a little extra to make everybody happy, even if it's a pain in the butt. And you are, after all, grateful to your grandma for everything she did for you.

Hank is a distraction and the farewell tour has gone on long enough. He takes up way more attention than a third string overpaid goalie that plays poorly is deserved. He was a great Rangers goalie, but many better Rangers in the past moved on when the fit was no longer a good one.

Comparing a position player to a goalie is obviously a faulty comparison whether it is Sid or Thornton. There is playing time for only one goalie each game. A position player can have his minutes and role reduced without creating a similar distraction.

Yea, no. I'd argue Thorton on the 4th line, game in and game out, is a bigger "distraction" than Hank on the bench getting zero attention and playing once a week.

This is all fabricated narrative, anyways. There's been no indication in the press, or otherwise, that Hank is distracting anyone.

Hank is a distraction and the farewell tour has gone on long enough. He takes up way more attention than a third string overpaid goalie that plays poorly is deserved. He was a great Rangers goalie, but many better Rangers in the past moved on when the fit was no longer a good one.

Comparing a position player to a goalie is obviously a faulty comparison whether it is Sid or Thornton. There is playing time for only one goalie each game. A position player can have his minutes and role reduced without creating a similar distraction.

Brodeur and Hasek were both on a farewell tour for a number of seasons. Hasek (Legace,CuJo/Osgood, Howard) went and won cups in Detroit, and Brodeur (Schneider, Kinkaid, Hedburg) took the Devils back to the cup finals.

Yea, no. I'd argue Thorton on the 4th line, game in and game out, is a bigger "distraction" than Hank on the bench getting zero attention and playing once a week.

This is all fabricated narrative, anyways. There's been no indication in the press, or otherwise, that Hank is distracting anyone.

Thornton was on a 1 year deal for $2m. The Sharks signed him specifically for that role knowing his ability at age 40. Terrible comparison.

?Zero attention?. Wrong again. Of course there would be no indication in the press. The players and management have walked on egg shells. They said no three goalies next year for a reason. Because it is a distraction. Obviously.

Not all Hank?s fault as we knew there would be some dead years at the end.

• Like 1

There really shouldn't be any issue with comparing Sid to Henrik. Yeah Crosby is better, but they are the same relative to their own franchises. Henrik is one of the most iconic Rangers of all time and the face of this organization. I don't see any reason why he would be a distraction. He'd be a backup goalie. What's wrong with that? As long as that's made clear to him in advance and he accepts it then there is no distraction. The only way there would be a distraction would be if he was complaining, but I'm pretty sure he has accepted what he is at this point.

Brodeur and Hasek were both on a farewell tour for a number of seasons. Hasek (Legace,CuJo/Osgood, Howard) went and won cups in Detroit, and Brodeur (Schneider, Kinkaid, Hedburg) took the Devils back to the cup finals.

Hasek can’t really be called a farewell tour since he was with the Red Wings and finished 5th in the Vezina and 22nd in the Hart. He was brought in there because he was still very good.

Brodeur was still the #1 goalie at 39 for a cup contender so that really can’t be called a farewell tour either.

An $8.5 million in salary cap hit that could be better applied to other holes says otherwise. This is Willie Mays in a Mets uniform, Johnny Unitas in Chargers blue, Namath with the Rams, Gordie Howe with the Whalers. Difference being none of those bad endings involved a salary cap(also all of the above won a championship at least, but who's counting, I digress). He isn't that good any more. Any kind of "farewell" nonsense is just that. Farewell, and get out. Lundqvist has been one of the 2 highest paid goalies in the NHL for the length of this final contract. He has ridiculously underperformed for most of that contract. He will still be here the night they retire his jersey.

Cap changes EVERYTHING. You cannot decry the lack of depth on lines 3 and 4 and then say having Lundqvist come back at the price for a farewell tour is not a big deal. It's the same problem.

My hope; he retires to play for Frolunda. We'll see.

Thornton was on a 1 year deal for $2m. The Sharks signed him specifically for that role knowing his ability at age 40. Terrible comparison.

“Zero attention”. Wrong again. Of course there would be no indication in the press. The players and management have walked on egg shells. They said no three goalies next year for a reason. Because it is a distraction. Obviously.

Not all Hank’s fault as we knew there would be some dead years at the end.

Hi, speculation!

They siad no 3 goalies next year because it's dumb to waste a roster spot on 3Gs.

But you're welcome to keep pushing your fabricated storyline.

Hasek can’t really be called a farewell tour since he was with the Red Wings and finished 5th in the Vezina and 22nd in the Hart. He was brought in there because he was still very good.

Brodeur was still the #1 goalie at 39 for a cup contender so that really can’t be called a farewell tour either.

Hasek then sat out a season, then had a horrible season, then the lockout then he went to Ottawa, then back to Detroit. He was labeled "done" in his last season in Buffalo. Buffalo had Biron, Mika Noronen, and Ryan Miller was coming.

Hasek then sat out a season, then had a horrible season, then the lockout then he went to Ottawa, then back to Detroit. He was labeled "done" in his last season in Buffalo. Buffalo had Biron, Mika Noronen, and Ryan Miller was coming.

So how was that a farewell tour? Red Wings brought him in and he finished 5th in Vezina. At 42.

Hi, speculation!

They siad no 3 goalies next year because it's dumb to waste a roster spot on 3Gs.

But you're welcome to keep pushing your fabricated storyline.

You are not ‘speculating’ and ‘fabricating a storyline’? Your clumsy comparisons took so many twists and turns when you got called on them. You are speculating about Sid and he is still in his prime.

At season ending presser Mgt usually has a bunch of vanilla ‘no comments’. They forcefully came out an said 3 goalies will not be back. We can call it a distraction, a detraction, but it obviously was not good for the team and Hank was the guy overstaying his welcome. If we get a nice package for Georgie, then Hank can be a back up. If not Hank goes one way or the other.