• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Buyout Final Year of Henrik Lundqvist's Contract

Phil

The Rangers didn?t necessarily lose because of Lundqvist, though his failure to stop Svechnikov?s short-sider from the left for the ?Canes 1-0 goal just 4:32 into the match was unsettling. But he didn?t win it for his team either, allowing another wonky one to Svechnikov just 1:11 into the second after Panarin had tied it at 12:05 of the first.

And unless something unforeseen develops ? and that is the norm for 2020, is it not? ? the King?s 129th consecutive postseason start probably will mark his last start, if not appearance, in the uniform of the team he had once carried for more than a decade.

If Shesterkin is healthy enough Tuesday, he will be in. If not, the Rangers would likely turn to Alex Georgiev to keep them afloat.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/rangers-in-terrible-spot-as-henrik-lundqvist-era-may-be-over/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn thought that "Hank was solid"!?! Yikes, does he understand that the goaltending has to be great in the playoffs, not just solid?

As I said in another thread, if you're depending on your rookie goalie to pitch shutouts in the playoffs so that your team can win, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

As I said in another thread, if you're depending on your rookie goalie to pitch shutouts in the playoffs so that your team can win, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

The way we played at the end on the season we definitely deserved to be in the playoffs. what we got in the playoffs so far is very mediocre goaltending and a team that is not playing like they were playing at the end of the season.

We were playing great at the end of the season, not sure where this notion comes from. They were a mess defensively. In the last 7 games, they gave up 5 goals 3 times and 6 goals once.

Revisionist history. It was a long time ago. Alternative facts. Fake news :)

any or all of the above.

In reality does it really even matter how they were playing back then? It was so long ago I don't think it does. Literally how many months ago was it now? What's more concerning to me anyway is that so many other teams have been able to crank it back up and not look as bad in every facet of the game across their entire lineups. Worst part is who knows when next season will even start.

Quinn thought that "Hank was solid"!?! Yikes, does he understand that the goaltending has to be great in the playoffs, not just solid?

He's not going to through the face of the franchise for the last 15 years under the bus during a season when he stapled him to the bench... He knows they needed some saves. He knows the quick goals deflated the team.

And everyone knows Igor is the starter. Gotta have tact if you don't want to alienate your team.

We were playing great at the end of the season, not sure where this notion comes from. They were a mess defensively. In the last 7 games, they gave up 5 goals 3 times and 6 goals once.

good point, I guess I meant before the Shesterkin car accident. We showed very strong offense, I expected them to be able to tighten up the defense in the playoffs but having potent offense and PP was importand, but looks like it did not translate to playoffs.

He's not going to through the face of the franchise for the last 15 years under the bus during a season when he stapled him to the bench... He knows they needed some saves. He knows the quick goals deflated the team.

And everyone knows Igor is the starter. Gotta have tact if you don't want to alienate your team.

^This! Quinn cannot kick Henrik in the balls here. That would be bad. We?re just not ?there? yet. More off-season work to do.

These losses were not on the goaltenders. They kept the team in every game. You can't win when you can't score.

Best of both worlds, buyout Lundqvist, trade Georgiev and then sign a cheap veteran backup. Get the assets from the trade plus save about $2 mil in cap. The keys to the kingdom belong to Shesty, Georgie is nothing special, but still has some trade value.

There is no need to buy him out and carry the cap hit passed next season. Buying him out doesn't make this team any better than they are now, his salary isn't holding them back from doing anything that the team needs.

“He deserved better from us” - Chris Kreider summarizing Henrik Lundqvist’s entire career as a New York Ranger.

key word 'deserveD

makes me think Kreider knows something we dont

I mean, it's not like he can say "He deserves better for our next game"

But I have no idea whether Lundqvist has the temperament to serve as anyone’s backup over the course of a full season, let alone here. I don’t know whether he thinks he can be an effective No. 1 for a Stanley Cup contender if given the opportunity. Probably, he does. But the corollary issue here is that I don’t see a legit Cup contender who needs Lundqvist.

Oh, have I mentioned the contract that carries an $8.5 million cap hit next season? I have now.

The Rangers wrung every possible ounce of blood, sweat and tears out of the seven-year, $59.5 million contract Lundqvist signed in late November of his 2014-15 walk year. Lundqvist was the name above the title on the Broadway marquee for years. This was a mutually beneficial agreement. But now, it represents a complication.

Eliminating the possibility of a trade in which the Rangers retain 50-percent of the cap hit ($4.25 million) because I cannot imagine a team is going to trade for Lundqvist at even that discount price, there are only two options here and the franchise is control of only one of them. That is via a buyout.

The first buyout period that normally takes place in June is scheduled to begin on either Sept. 25 or the first day of the Cup final, whichever is later. It is scheduled to close on Oct. 8 or six days after the final ends, whichever is later. Under this scenario, franchise hierarchy has another seven weeks to allow this to marinate, not that there is any reason to drag this out.

If the Rangers buy out Lundqvist, they would save $3 million on the cap. But they would add another $5 million of dead space, increasing their total to an astonishing $12.994 million. In effect, the team will be working with a $68.506 million cap. A buyout would also add $1.5 million of dead space for the following year. And yes, much of the savings would go toward Georgiev, who is a restricted free agent with arbitration rights. But a buyout would not be about cap management as much as personnel management.

If Lundqvist does play in the NHL next season, it’s certainly a possibility his family would remain in Sweden. Is that what he’d want at age 38?

Or would Lundqvist want to finish his pro career where it started, in Frolunda, playing for the team that is captained by his brother, Joel? I don’t know, but if that is his desire, he would presumably announce his retirement from the NHL within a matter of weeks and join his hometown team. The Rangers would thus clear $8.5 million of space and Lundqvist would forfeit the $5.5 million in pay he is owed.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/rangers-split-is-the-only-easy-part-of-henrik-lundqvists-next-step/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons