• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[ECQR] (#2) Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes // High Noon in Downtown Toronto

LindG1000

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue they got exactly what they paid for. He's a useful player who can slot up, but he's awfully vanilla and doesn't really produce much offense without significant assistance. I think a 4th rounder is about the going rate for a player of his caliber and like you said, he's had limited postseason success.

I am sure most would argue they got more than they should have.

I was saying that Carolina improved their roster with trades while we mostly weakened ours.

To be fair, these are teams at drastically different stages. The Hurricanes coming off a conference finals appearance in 2019 wanted to keep competing. They have a team that's well constructed for playoff hockey and has veterans that know how to lead the way. They're very much a playoff team. That's a team that buys at the deadline. The Rangers at the time of the deadline were only just climbing back into the playoff conversation. Even then, they were still a ways out. They missed the playoffs the prior two years. No one expected anything out of this team besides another lackluster season. Of course they weren't going to add anything.

I rather go to arbitration that grossly overpay players or sign them to a very long high salary contract which is very likely to bite us on the ass in few years.

With Namenstnikov I would have agreed with you. Not with Trouba. He was a year away from UFA. Take him to arbitration and then he gets a one-year and can walk in free agency. Suddenly you're down Jacob Trouba, Neal Pionk, and a first-round pick. Not quite the way to go.

Agree, it's a team wide execution issue. But how did the 5th best scoring team in the league go to this? Carolina plays a stifling style with the lead but it's not like they're a defensive juggernaut. Can we chalk it up to poor preparation by coaching staff, poor conditioning, faded chemistry, excessive rust?

Looks like the coaching staff did not prep them for the fact the playoffs are a different animal. Brady Skjei and everyone else is hitting like I've never seen before. It's 60 minutes; the perils of Pauline act of coming from behind is not happening with stifling defense. Everyone is playing defense.You don't get time to set up a play like you might in the regular season. You aren't going to make 5 tape to tape passes. That's usually a bad idea anyway but it's a really bad idea right now.

And you cannot absolve soft goals. PERIOD. Because you cannot climb out of that hole. Said some things in this thread that were harsh. But Lundqvist needed to step up and he did not.

To be fair, these are teams at drastically different stages. The Hurricanes coming off a conference finals appearance in 2019 wanted to keep competing. They have a team that's well constructed for playoff hockey and has veterans that know how to lead the way. They're very much a playoff team. That's a team that buys at the deadline. The Rangers at the time of the deadline were only just climbing back into the playoff conversation. Even then, they were still a ways out. They missed the playoffs the prior two years. No one expected anything out of this team besides another lackluster season. Of course they weren't going to add anything.

I think Carolina is similar to Rangers but they are a bit further along the rebuild cycle. But they still have a lot of great prospects, even though they unloaded a bunch of depth, picks and prospects.

• Like 1

I think Carolina is similar to Rangers but they are a bit further along the rebuild cycle. But they still have a lot of great prospects, even though they unloaded a bunch of depth, picks and prospects.

I agree to an extent. Carolina has always had defense as a strength. That's showing even now with Pesce and Hamilton out. The Rangers are a bit further from getting there. Hopefully, Miller, Lundkvist, and Jones can help bridge that gap.

I agree to an extent. Carolina has always had defense as a strength. That's showing even now with Pesce and Hamilton out. The Rangers are a bit further from getting there. Hopefully, Miller, Lundkvist, and Jones can help bridge that gap.

we disbanded our defense, it used to be great too. Soon it will be great again with Miller, Robertson, ADA, Fox, Lindgren, Lundkvist, etc.

Carolinas team is not a bunch of prospects and not in a rebuild cycle, you are evaluating them wrong. They have an incredible defense and when it comes to playoff hockey they are loaded up front. This is a real contender we are playing against, and it shows.

we disbanded our defense, it used to be great too. Soon it will be great again with Miller, Robertson, ADA, Fox, Lindgren, Lundkvist, etc.

McDonagh was the only competent left. Staal, and Girardi both regressed heavily due to injuries. Letting Stralman go in favor of Boyle was a mistake. They were just past their point of competitiveness. There really wasn't much the Rangers could do given how many assets they coughed up during their competitive years.

Carolinas team is not a bunch of prospects and not in a rebuild cycle, you are evaluating them wrong. They have an incredible defense and when it comes to playoff hockey they are loaded up front. This is a real contender we are playing against, and it shows.

they were out of playoffs for like 9 straight seasons, they have accumulated a lot of prospects, and draft picks during that time. During that time one of their players has retired, then became their assistant coach for 7 years and is now their head coach for 2nd year. this is only 3rd year in a row that they made the playoffs(and there was a good chance they could have missed the playoffs this season) so they are about 2 to 4 years ahead of us.

McDonagh was the only competent left. Staal, and Girardi both regressed heavily due to injuries. Letting Stralman go in favor of Boyle was a mistake. They were just past their point of competitiveness. There really wasn't much the Rangers could do given how many assets they coughed up during their competitive years.

Klein was very good too, but that is what happens you have to trade away players, because if you hang on to them you end up with buyouts like Girardi. Carolina seems to not be shy about trading away the Dmen like Hanifin, De Haan, Faulk, etc.

Klein was very good too, but that is what happens you have to trade away players, because if you hang on to them you end up with buyouts like Girardi. Carolina seems to not be shy about trading away the Dmen like Hanifin, De Haan, Faulk, etc.

Klein retired. He was never moved. His back basically made him immobile in his final season.

After this season ends I think it is the right thing to do is trade away Strome if we can get a late 1st rounder for him and Trouba if we can get mid 1st rounder or late 1st rounder + in return.

But after a bad playoff I have a feeling JD and Gorton panic and make several very bad trades. Smith, if doesn't improve is looking like a good candidate to get bought out.

But after a bad playoff I have a feeling JD and Gorton panic and make several very bad trades. Smith, if doesn't improve is looking like a good candidate to get bought out.

Nothing leads me to believe that. I think the organization knows where it is. JD has reiterated that multiple times. Why would they panic when they know they're still a rebuilding team?