• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[ECQR] (#2) Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes // High Noon in Downtown Toronto

LindG1000

It still doesnt feel like real hockey, and its going to end in less than a week? I can only think of a few positive points

1. If you were like me, you had this nostalgic feeling for Lundqvist, and him getting pushed out of his number 1 spot left a bad feeling in my gut. Maybe you thought he wasn't playing well because the games didn't matter as much since it was a rebuild. Or maybe because he plays better when he plays alot. Just if he got 1 more chance, hed win a series for us to keep us going. Well, he got it. He got his chance for his farewell, and its gone. So at least now i'm comfortable with the idea of him retiring, or being a back up, or even getting traded. This sad series helped say goodbye to an amazing career. I'm sure some of you will say he lost it a while ago. And there were times I felt the same way. But I always had this hope he'd turn it around for 1 more playoff push. oh well. At least it wasn't during REAL playoff hockey. Imagine they clawed and fought to get that last playoff spot. Shesterkin gets hurt then? and Lundqvist lets in a few bad goals in the start of that series? Way worse. He must see it by now. Thats he's just not at that level anymore. Most of the great players I can think of retire when they notice that they can't play at that level anymore.

Actually thats the only good thing I can think of. I don't really count this as true playoff experience. But maybe the younger guys will get something out of it.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still doesnt feel like real hockey, and its going to end in less than a week? I can only think of a few positive points

1. If you were like me, you had this nostalgic feeling for Lundqvist, and him getting pushed out of his number 1 spot left a bad feeling in my gut. Maybe you thought he wasn't playing well because the games didn't matter as much since it was a rebuild. Or maybe because he plays better when he plays alot. Just if he got 1 more chance, hed win a series for us to keep us going. Well, he got it. He got his chance for his farewell, and its gone. So at least now i'm comfortable with the idea of him retiring, or being a back up, or even getting traded. This sad series helped say goodbye to an amazing career. I'm sure some of you will say he lost it a while ago. And there were times I felt the same way. But I always had this hope he'd turn it around for 1 more playoff push. oh well. At least it wasn't during REAL playoff hockey. Imagine they clawed and fought to get that last playoff spot. Shesterkin gets hurt then? and Lundqvist lets in a few bad goals in the start of that series? Way worse. He must see it by now. Thats he's just not at that level anymore. Most of the great players I can think of retire when they notice that they can't play at that level anymore.

Actually thats the only good thing I can think of. I don't really count this as true playoff experience. But maybe the younger guys will get something out of it.

I am absolutely discomfortable with Lundqvist remaining as a backup. And why is Georgiev completely disrespected, he played most of the games for us this season he is a very good goalie.

I wouldn't call Mrazek a journeyman goalie. Our 3rd and 4th lines are pretty much a non-threat, that was the point with Namestnikov as well as I was saying that Carolina improved their roster with trades while we mostly weakened ours.

He’s been on 3 teams already and is 28. He’s also never actually grabbed a starting job. He’s the definition of journeyman imo and he’s fairly trash. Lucky for him, his team is good in front of him and the Rangers are bad. Oh so so bad.

1) I admit that Lundqvist gave up 2 goals he should have had and that he's probably done... but if the team in front of him played like this was an actual playoff game rather than a meaningless scrimmage, he'd be getting a lot less crap. I just watched Corey Crawford give up 6 goals. He's not the only goalie giving up goals, you know. Maybe the bar we set for Hank is just crazy high.

2) I know Lindy Ruff wasn't exactly popular but is his absence having any affect on how inept the D looks?

3) Could they try any more east-west passes that get intercepted?

4) Could they try any more north-south passes that get broken up?

5) Do we win any loose puck battles?

This team wasn't going to make the playoffs, most likely. And it shows. They don't have an identity yet. They can't figure out if they want to be fast, hard hitting, defensive minded, offensive minded, etc. They're still very young and trying to find themselves. But this team's talent isn't that great either. They need a lot more. Experience isn't going to get this team any closer to a legit Cup run. Better players is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also, Carolina's style is better suited to being effective out of the gates after a long lay-off. Same as Columbus, look at how they stifled Toronto. Finesse teams like the Rangers need a lot more time to get that precision play back in the groove. I think you'll find the series looking a lot closer as these games go on.

Series? Closer? Really? In spite of being the #1 YAYSAYER, I doubt if my B.I.B. will overcome being down 0-2.

1) I admit that Lundqvist gave up 2 goals he should have had and that he's probably done... but if the team in front of him played like this was an actual playoff game rather than a meaningless scrimmage, he'd be getting a lot less crap. I just watched Corey Crawford give up 6 goals. He's not the only goalie giving up goals, you know. Maybe the bar we set for Hank is just crazy high.

2) I know Lindy Ruff wasn't exactly popular but is his absence having any affect on how inept the D looks?

3) Could they try any more east-west passes that get intercepted?

4) Could they try any more north-south passes that get broken up?

5) Do we win any loose puck battles?

This team wasn't going to make the playoffs, most likely. And it shows. They don't have an identity yet. They can't figure out if they want to be fast, hard hitting, defensive minded, offensive minded, etc. They're still very young and trying to find themselves. But this team's talent isn't that great either. They need a lot more. Experience isn't going to get this team any closer to a legit Cup run. Better players is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Welcome to the site dude. Well stated opinions, good to have your around

Well maybe they rally, come out and win the next one but that might be wishful thinking.

This team has much development in front of them and that includes Quinn. I don't think he threw the team under the buss but was just being truthful and they are young enough to have to eat it. However there will come a time with a certain team where that statement will turn off the vets... a fine line for sure.

I don't think this series changes any perspective of Gorts or JD's long term. I certainly don't think a sweep here hits a panic button. 19 draft picks coming in the pipe and a blueline that is just out of the incubator shows us we are in a marathon and not a sprint.

hopefully the young guys get a bit of a taste as to how the ice shrinks this time of year.

Ditto Tonyfiore75. Very apt comments. So much of our roster, in terms of forwards, is the filler you see on bottom half dozen teams in the league.

If this ends as it looks like it will, it will not change much in terms of personnel decisions. DeAngelo has been a long term project, and three games won't change what they are willing to do regarding his contract. Strome might be an exception. He was very much on the bubble in terms of a commitment from the team, and these games could tip the balance.

Namestnikov requested a trade. They honored it.

https://theathletic.com/1278071/2019/10/08/why-the-senators-traded-for-vladislav-namestnikov-only-2-games-into-the-season/

Namestnikov said he did not request a trade but that it wasn't a huge shock he was moved

Fans speculated the team needed the cap space.

Gorton came out and said it was to create spots for youngsters. Chytil was re-called a few games later.

EehMV6IX0AIWgEZ?format=jpg&name=small

Evolving Hockey with the big bad data here.

TL;DR

Brendan Smith blew some monster chances

Tony DeAngelo was atrocious. Many players weren't far behind him.

Dont know how much to read into this. I thought Lindgren had a good game, but he played a lot of minutes. Smith on the other hand was horrible and had 2-3 D-zone giveaways that easily could?ve led to a goal against.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

so according to Quinn it is not his system, it is the players and their effort. His system is totally fine, the other coach is totally not outcoaching him...

Several times throughout the season the team would play this "panic" hockey that we see right now. I dont know if its system, or what the coach is telling them, but you have a team full of guys that are afraid to make mistakes, gripping the stick too tightly, and theyre over thinking instead of playing. I notice this because guys are skating out of position as fast as they can (make mistakes faster, as I mockingly say). Instead of going to the structured spots, you can practically see guys thinking "Oh shit, playoffs, go over there fast!" when they shouldnt be there... which forces another guy out of position to recover - and we've seen 4 goals this series with guys randomly moving out of position, leaving an opponent open to create a scoring chance. Strome might be the worst at this. His game is night/day when it comes to this. Right now, he's not playing his game, he's trying to play what he thinks hes supposed to play like in the playoffs. That's not helping.

Solution: they need to get laid.

After this season ends I think it is the right thing to do is trade away Strome if we can get a late 1st rounder for him and Trouba if we can get mid 1st rounder or late 1st rounder + in return.

But after a bad playoff I have a feeling JD and Gorton panic and make several very bad trades. Smith, if doesn't improve is looking like a good candidate to get bought out.

Trouba can't be traded without his OK... Strome, totally fine with trading, but we don't need any additional 1st round picks.. we need legit NHL ready players- if this series has taught us anything, we need a legit bottom 6.. And trading Strome means we need another 2nd line center.

Trouba isn't getting dealt. They gave him an eight-year deal because they want him. You guys need to come back to reality, I'm afraid. He, Kreider, and Panarin are pillars moving forward, whether you like the deals or not. Zibanejad likely will be a fourth.

I mean, I guess, but the idea of just being able to "flip" this player is already far-fetched, let alone accounting for the damage it might have for the Rangers' reputation among other free agents. Trading guys with term and buying out vets consistently is a great way to signal to future free agents to sign elsewhere.

I mean, I guess, but the idea of just being able to "flip" this player is already far-fetched, let alone accounting for the damage it might have for the Rangers' reputation among other free agents. Trading guys with term and buying out vets consistently is a great way to signal to future free agents to sign elsewhere.
File under: Shattenkirk, Kevin

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Honestly I hear you but for the most part I think NY will always be pretty high on many prime FA priority lists. I doubt Panarin gave a shit that Shattenkirk played out the way he did here. I don't think Trouba is going anywhere, I also don't think he's worth what they invested. However he's far from the biggest issue.

Also don't think IF they were to buy out Hank that would mean much of anything across the league either, I think most would understand he's reached the end of his rope here if they were to take a realistic look at the situation. Buyouts happen, guys get their money. Skjei and Smith?? Do they really move the needle, any needle I don't see it when it comes to influencing anybody's desire to now not come here?

I mean, maybe, yeah. I get that the context matters — I'm just saying, the more a team buys out and trades vets with term, the more likely it is to have a chilling affect on their ability to court future free agents.

I mean, maybe, yeah. I get that the context matters ? I'm just saying, the more a team buys out and trades vets with term, the more likely it is to have a chilling affect on their ability to court future free agents.
I don't think anybody but the fans and media really think this way.

Redden demoted

Gomez traded

Richards bought out

Girardi bought out

Hank benched and maybe bought out

Skjei traded

Shattenkirk bought out

They were still a desirable destination for

Richards

Shattenkirk

Trouba

Panarin

Fox

Vesey

Hayes

An athlete's mindset is that they can perform and if you perform you have nothing to worry about. I don't think anybody signs a deal thinking "I may bomb out, and they may trade me".

No athlete really considers the idea that they're not as good as they think they are.