• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ballsy Predictions - 2020 Playoffs Edition

LindG1000

I think it's fair to judge some of his coaching decisions, I have, but what good of a roster has he really had to work with? He's coached the team in a year where everyone knew where they would be bad, and another where they slightly exceeded expectations while still mostly being bad, and still got to play in the postseason when they otherwise might not have. The coach isn't the biggest issue. Very far from it.

I am not trying to make him a scapegoat, but he was brought here to develop a young team and roll 4 lines, not play McKegg, Fogarty, Haley, etc. over young promising players.

I am not trying to make him a scapegoat, but he was brought here to develop a young team and roll 4 lines, not play McKegg, Fogarty, Haley, etc. over young promising players.

Who isn't he playing that should be playing? Kravtsov didn't make the team because he wasn't ready and Quinn doesn't want to use him in roles inappropriate for his skillet. Andersson couldn't keep up with the speed of the NHL, developed of a myriad of documented issues , and then pouted his way through a stint in Hartford. No one else in Hartford was really qualified to make the team or is really a promising prospect. Lettieri has failed NHL stints multiple times and offers little beyond a shot. He's also 25. Gettinger might be someone to consider but I'd say that he's more of an option for next season. He still needs some work to do and doesn't have great footspeed.

I can't really think of anyone who's missed out. Anyone who hasn't played hasn't been deserving. I'll say that Quinn has made some questionable decisions with ice time here and there, and with some deployment decisions. At the same time, players like Chytil and Kakko who were deployed on lower lines didn't show that they could keep up much until recently. Even then, Chytil has been wildly inconsistent in this Carolina series.

I can't fault Quinn for just not having quality tools in his toolbox. The Rangers just don't have the young players to infuse in the lineup despite the rebuild. Those players are still on the way.

Who isn't he playing that should be playing? Kravtsov didn't make the team because he wasn't ready and Quinn doesn't want to use him in roles inappropriate for his skillet. Andersson couldn't keep up with the speed of the NHL, developed of a myriad of documented issues , and then pouted his way through a stint in Hartford. No one else in Hartford was really qualified to make the team or is really a promising prospect. Lettieri has failed NHL stints multiple times and offers little beyond a shot. He's also 25. Gettinger might be someone to consider but I'd say that he's more of an option for next season. He still needs some work to do and doesn't have great footspeed.

I can't really think of anyone who's missed out. Anyone who hasn't played hasn't been deserving. I'll say that Quinn has made some questionable decisions with ice time here and there, and with some deployment decisions. At the same time, players like Chytil and Kakko who were deployed on lower lines didn't show that they could keep up much until recently. Even then, Chytil has been wildly inconsistent in this Carolina series.

I can't fault Quinn for just not having quality tools in his toolbox. The Rangers just don't have the young players to infuse in the lineup despite the rebuild. Those players are still on the way.

definitely Gettinger. He should have made the Rangers full time.

Because the glut of young, promising players are making right by this? Howden (22), Gauthier (22), Chytil (20), and Kakko (19) are all on the team and pretty much never were at risk of losing their spots in spite of the utter lack of meaningful progress from any of them. Chytil, maybe, came closest, but it's not like he took some massive developmental leap. Let's be real here.

They just don't have the players yet.

Because the glut of young, promising players are making right by this? Howden (22), Gauthier (22), Chytil (20), and Kakko (19) are all on the team and pretty much never were at risk of losing their spots in spite of the utter lack of meaningful progress from any of them. Chytil, maybe, came closest, but it's not like he took some massive developmental leap. Let's be real here.

but how do you know that if we had a coach like Laviolette (for example) those players wouldn't have much better stats by now?

That's the issue with fans thinking The team is farther along than it really is just because they're in the "playoffs".

This team, right now, is two forwards and two defensemen and not much else.

• Like 1

That's the issue with fans thinking The team is farther along than it really is just because they're in the "playoffs".

This team, right now, is two forwards and two defensemen and not much else.

Right. There are clear stud building blocks in place. But there's still a world of work to go.

Kreider / Zibanejad / X

Panarin / X / X

X / X / X

X / X / X

X / Trouba

X / Fox

X / X

Shesterkin

X

That's a whole lotta room to cement.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Right. There are clear stud building blocks in place. But there's still a world of work to go.

Kreider / Zibanejad / X

Panarin / X / X

X / X / X

X / X / X

X / Trouba

X / Fox

X / X

Shesterkin

X

Honestly I am worried about the lack of production from Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Gauthier, Howden, Lias, etc.

Kreider / Zibanejad / X

Panarin / X / X

X / X / X

X / X / X

X / Trouba

X / Fox

X / X

Shesterkin

X

yes sir. Not to mention the contracts of Kreider and Trouba may very well prove to be regrettable over time imo. Igor has played what 12 NHL games?

time to tighten the belts there may certainly be more big bumps in the road.

Honestly I am worried about the lack of production from Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Gauthier, Howden, Lias, etc.

I wouldn't be.

Kakko's 19. He's a baby. Be worried if he scores all of 20 points again next year.

Chytil isn't even 21 yet - I know this seems impossible, because it feels like he's been here forever, but it's true. Many good NHLers have barely debuted at this point, or they're a season in with like...25 points to their name. He's a 20 year old in his second full NHL season. He built on the prior season. I'm not worried yet. Same deal with Kravtsov.

I'll give Gauthier more time too. He's new to the system and the team, and he's got tools he doesn't know how to use well at the NHL level yet.

Howden just isn't an offensive player. That's fine. He's also not a good defensive player. That's not. I can live with Brett Howden, mini-Brian Boyle. I can't live with Brett Howden, replacement player.

Lias is...a lost cause for us, but probably not for the NHL. Our best bet is he juices his value over in Sweden enough to get a team to gamble on him.

I'm much more concerned with two other items:

1 - We need a system for developing bottom 9 talent (and eventually a system for moving your mid-six pieces with some talent into top 6 roles). We clearly know how to develop dynamic players, but the best teams know how to match talent to task and grow the talent against the task (and let's face it, not everyone is going to be a top 6 talent). I'm thrilled with Zibanejad, Fox, Strome, DeAngelo, even Kreider and Kakko grew well and did nice things. You have to have a guy who can show your "not really going to be a top 6/top 4/PPQB" guys how to be defensively smart, control play, wear down opponents - do the things that make your top 6 scarier.

2 - We need the talent to play our defensive system - we have the right idea with a puck possession, push play, active stick system, but the wrong personnel. Call it Quinn being stubborn if you like - we'd win more games playing the Tortorella collapse that Staal is used to - but it's probably the right call for a growing team with our youth talent profile.

Right now, we have one player capable of playing the system well - and that's Fox. Trouba CAN play it, but he's not playing it. I think he's in his own head about his stats - he flings bad shots all over the place. DeAngelo can sort of do it, but I think he's more the PPQB type - he's Del Zotto with anger management issues. Lindgren's an enabler - he won't play the system well, but he won't really hurt us either way. Staal, Smith, and Hajek can't keep up with a heavy possession system.

I wouldn't be.

Kakko's 19. He's a baby. Be worried if he scores all of 20 points again next year.

Chytil isn't even 21 yet - I know this seems impossible, because it feels like he's been here forever, but it's true. Many good NHLers have barely debuted at this point, or they're a season in with like...25 points to their name. He's a 20 year old in his second full NHL season. He built on the prior season. I'm not worried yet. Same deal with Kravtsov.

I'll give Gauthier more time too. He's new to the system and the team, and he's got tools he doesn't know how to use well at the NHL level yet.

Howden just isn't an offensive player. That's fine. He's also not a good defensive player. That's not. I can live with Brett Howden, mini-Brian Boyle. I can't live with Brett Howden, replacement player.

Lias is...a lost cause for us, but probably not for the NHL. Our best bet is he juices his value over in Sweden enough to get a team to gamble on him.

I'm much more concerned with two other items:

1 - We need a system for developing bottom 9 talent (and eventually a system for moving your mid-six pieces with some talent into top 6 roles). We clearly know how to develop dynamic players, but the best teams know how to match talent to task and grow the talent against the task (and let's face it, not everyone is going to be a top 6 talent). I'm thrilled with Zibanejad, Fox, Strome, DeAngelo, even Kreider and Kakko grew well and did nice things. You have to have a guy who can show your "not really going to be a top 6/top 4/PPQB" guys how to be defensively smart, control play, wear down opponents - do the things that make your top 6 scarier.

2 - We need the talent to play our defensive system - we have the right idea with a puck possession, push play, active stick system, but the wrong personnel. Call it Quinn being stubborn if you like - we'd win more games playing the Tortorella collapse that Staal is used to - but it's probably the right call for a growing team with our youth talent profile.

Right now, we have one player capable of playing the system well - and that's Fox. Trouba CAN play it, but he's not playing it. I think he's in his own head about his stats - he flings bad shots all over the place. DeAngelo can sort of do it, but I think he's more the PPQB type - he's Del Zotto with anger management issues. Lindgren's an enabler - he won't play the system well, but he won't really hurt us either way. Staal, Smith, and Hajek can't keep up with a heavy possession system.

Bottom 6 did not play very good grind it out, nor win many puck battles. That is a serious problem. Can live with role players who do their job, but those that don't, no good. There are going to be playoff games your system is going to have to carry you by getting production from them. And that did not happen at all.

This is all nonsense hockey that shouldn't be getting played. Preseason was a month away. We've had more off time then an offseason has and now we're going to have teams play one preseason game and then decide the cup? That would be like starting a season with the playoffs. Asinine. My ballsy prediction is the Rangers lose two more of these joke games to the Canes and then win the draft lottery to at least get something useful out of this debacle.

Rep please.

• Like 2