Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Trump Suggests Delaying 2020 Election; Has No Authority to Do So

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I trust voting machines way more now than what we used to have. I know my ballot is casted because I personally feed it into the machine and wait for it to tell me it’s been recorded. What assurances do you get from mail. The percentage of people voting by mail this election doesn’t matter, the fact is that a lot more people are voting by mail this election than ever before, and what securities are in place for this?
    You know, absentee ballot envelopes have barcodes on the back; I bet there's a transparency element to their internal tracking system (tracks turnout and the like) that could confirm whether or not your ballot arrived at least
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    It's not about personal security nearly as much as it's about a potential hack that alters the course of the country. How about a hack that alters the election and we don't know until well after the "winner" has been sworn in? There is a lot at stake there that affects the entire country quite drastically.
    Yeah, after that near-exact scenario played out in 2016, I'd be in favor of a paper system unless we've got an ironclad digital system.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Yeah, after that near-exact scenario played out in 2016, I'd be in favor of a paper system unless we've got an ironclad digital system.
    That hacking targetted the DNC and was not guaranteed to sway people's votes one way or another. I'm not sure it had that much of an effect. Hilary still won the popular vote.

Hitting the voting system directly is like handing the vote to Russia or China.

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    That hacking targetted the DNC and was not guaranteed to sway people's votes one way or another. I'm not sure it had that much of an effect. Hilary still won the popular vote.
    Well, we'll never know. The GOP obstructed the whole investigation and the Democrats have no political spine to investigate the past.

Hitting the voting system directly is like handing the vote to Russia or China.
    Oh, for sure. We'd need to have like...the Great Firewall in place for a day. Which in and all of itself is a scary power to give literally anyone, even if for a day.
    Hidden Content

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I trust voting machines way more now than what we used to have. I know my ballot is casted because I personally feed it into the machine and wait for it to tell me itís been recorded. What assurances do you get from mail. The percentage of people voting by mail this election doesnít matter, the fact is that a lot more people are voting by mail this election than ever before, and what securities are in place for this?
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/mai...ud-claims/#app

Here's an article about the safeguards in place.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    The issue with electronic voting is that there's just too many points of failure. To hack in person or mail in voting, you have to do it one vote at a time. With electronic voting you can automate an attack millions of times an hour. You can attempt to change votes through the traffic passing through internet providers, you can attack the central database of votes, or at a number of other points.

You don't even have to necessarily even change a single vote. You can just shut down the system with a denial of service attack. This could be targeted again at the voting system or ISPs.

There will likely be some method of electronic voting that's secure in the future, but not with our current internet infrastructure.
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Senior Member Junior Division
    We have never had a vote this big and had this many people voting by mail for an election, and that's the issue. When probably at least half of the votes cast will be delivered by the USPS, who doesn't have the best track record, there could be many issues. How do you know your vote was received or even cast? We've never had mail-in voting on this scale.
    is there any evicence to suggest we can't handle it? if the primary's here in NY (again, not going to speak for other states that I'm less knowledgable about) were a trial run, i'd say they went ok. If you have to be patient enough to wait a little while longer for the results than so bet it. We definitely won't know who won the election on election night this time around. and the weeks after are gonna be a shitshow of doubt casting and more corruption claims. it's gonna be ugly. but the vote counting itself will go just fine. we just have to be patient as Americans, which might be tough for us

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Bantam Division
    Wartime president
    Hidden Content

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    It'd require a lot of work to make sure it's secure, but it's almost assuredly the idealized version of a democratic system w/regard to voter access and vote simplicity.
    I believe it was Stanford that did a study.
    Most computer engineers and security experts are 100% against this.
    Itís one thing to secure a internal firewall. But a while different animal to open this information that is transferred on the open internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moderator BSBH Prospect

Trump Suggests Delaying 2020 Election; Has No Authority to Do So

Do you bank online or through an app? All your info is already on the web, so whatís the difference between paying a bill or your taxes verses voting online?
    The difference between a mud puddle and the Grand Canyon

Last edited by Puck Head; 07-31-2020 at 07:46 PM.

nothing to see here.

Wartime president
    Hidden Content

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    His railing against Absentee/Mail-in Voting has never made a lick of sense. A huge swath of consistent Absentee/Mail-in voters are seniors, who traditionally vote GOP.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    His railing against Absentee/Mail-in Voting has never made a lick of sense. A huge swath of consistent Absentee/Mail-in voters are seniors, who traditionally vote GOP.
    As time goes on he will continue to make less sense. Anyone else see the Axios interview talk about not making any sense.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 08-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    Wartime president
    Hidden Content

Unfortunately, yes. It's pretty easily explained by Mike Murphy (GOP strategist). He posited something like "Trump's solution to every problem is more Trump."
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    As time goes on he will continue to make less sense. Anyone else see the Axios interview talk about not making any sense.
    That was pretty indicative of his (demented) thought process. That reporter should be front and center at WH briefings.

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    That was pretty indicative of his (demented) thought process. That reporter should be front and center at WH briefings.
    Biden should just sit back and not say a word. The less the better, just keep feeding this guy more rope.

Wartime president
    Hidden Content

Nope. These are ads. He's already pounced on this exact moment in an ad that went out on Facebook (and likely elsewhere) this afternoon.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

I should of worded it better he should just keep replaying the hits because they just keep coming so this is the perfect play. "It is what it is" is the text book example. For Biden just keep avoiding putting your own foot in your mouth.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 08-04-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Wartime president
    Hidden Content

Every time something like this comes up I go back to the same thing: can you IMAGINE the reaction if Obama let 150,000+ Americans die without lifting a finger? If Obama sent federal troops into a major city in reaction to vandals? If Obama talked about delaying the election because he's losing?

I fucking hate the argument, but it puts the absurdity of our time in crystalline perspective.
    Hidden Content

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    And military

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast