• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Chytil, Tony DeAngelo Will Force Rangers into Tough Roster Decisions

Phil

The performance of third-line center Filip Chytil could have a significant impact on management?s approach to second-line pivot Ryan Strome, a pending restricted free agent with arbitration rights.

One could argue that Strome, who meshed so effectively with Artemi Panarin from Day 1 that the process appeared seamless, is just now honoring the talent that made him the fifth-overall draft pick of 2011 and that the Rangers should scoop him up on a long-term deal this fall. It is, after all, imperative for the team to be able to continue to split up Panarin and Mika Zibanejad in order to present the pick-your-poison matchup choice to opposing coaches.

Of course, one could also suggest Strome was far more the beneficiary than a meaningful facilitator of Panarin?s Hart-finalist season and that the team should attempt to move the 27-year-old center rather than investing what would likely be at least $5.5 million per in him.

I would be shocked if the Rangers go long term on Strome when they know they are going to have to come up with at least $10 million per to lock up Zibanejad before No. 93 can hit the open market following 2021-22.

Tony DeAngelo, also a pending RFA with arbitration rights, can increase his value at both the negotiating table and around the league on the trade market, with a big-time postseason. But I see only one path to a long-term deal for No. 77, and that is by moving the defenseman to the left side. Otherwise, a one-two-three right side of Adam Fox, Jacob Trouba and DeAngelo all but precludes the possibility of young righty Nils Lundkvist ever joining the organization.

K?Andre Miller?s training-camp work opened eyes wide to the possibility that the 20-year-old could compete for a spot on the left side perhaps as soon as next season, but the Rangers should neither count on it nor push the narrative. So next year?s left-side depth chart consists of Ryan Lindgren, Marc Staal, Brendan Smith and Libor Hajek. Who is comfortable with that?

As Lundkvist is signed for another season in Sweden, trading DeAngelo this fall would mean that the Rangers would have to find a veteran, third-pair righty defenseman on the free-agent market willing to play for a bargain price. Hey, Kevin Shattenkirk is going to be available!

https://nypost.com/2020/07/28/filip-chytil-tony-deangelo-have-to-prove-worth-to-rangers/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a good, 24/25ish C that could be had in a trade with DeAngelo? That would seem to be the sweetspot in this situation, because even with Strome the depth and quality at C is questionable, to put it mildly.

Not really, and that's probably part of the problem. The best fit is Bo Horvat, and I'm not really sure DeAngelo's on the Canucks radar; they've got Hughes running the PP which almost assuredly dims ADA's value to them.

The Stars interest me some here (namely w/Faksa and Hintz both RFAs) but I'm not really sure there's a fit w/Klingberg and Heiskanen already there.

Not really, and that's probably part of the problem. The best fit is Bo Horvat, and I'm not really sure DeAngelo's on the Canucks radar; they've got Hughes running the PP which almost assuredly dims ADA's value to them.

The Stars interest me some here (namely w/Faksa and Hintz both RFAs) but I'm not really sure there's a fit w/Klingberg and Heiskanen already there.

That's cool. I'll take Heiskanen then.

If they don't sign DeAngelo then I don't know what they are looking to develop on the back line for an offensive defenseman.... Top 4 in the league for points. Pay the man and transition Lundkvist to the left side.

I don't care who switches to the left side. Just make it work.

Is there a good, 24/25ish C that could be had in a trade with DeAngelo? That would seem to be the sweetspot in this situation, because even with Strome the depth and quality at C is questionable, to put it mildly.

Sam Reinhart (25) and Tyson Jost (22) are the only I can think of.

Reinhart isn’t a bad call.

Probably more gettable relative to DeAngelo, too. What use does Colorado have for him? The Avs would be in the same position the Rangers are, with EJ and Makar on the right.

If they don't sign DeAngelo then I don't know what they are looking to develop on the back line for an offensive defenseman.... Top 4 in the league for points. Pay the man and transition Lundkvist to the left side.

The second you get rid of DeAngelo you will be looking to replace that production. Doing so would be making the same kind of mistake dumping Stralman. Consider he's been this productive saddled with Staal most nights, and think about what he could do with a better partner.

Reinhart is probably the hardest get, IMO. Buffalo would likely be making that move only under the auspices of having moved Ristolainen; can't see them having Ristolainen, Jokiharju, DeAngelo, Miller, and Montour. And frankly, I don't see a need for Buffalo to immediately backfill Ristolainen with someone who plays about the same amount of defense.

Colorado is a better fit, but they're note exactly swimming with players that meet our description. Even Jost has to come with a pretty nice prospect or pick to make it worthwhile to move ADA, I think. Are we going back to the "please give us Shane Bowers" bin?

The second you get rid of DeAngelo you will be looking to replace that production. Doing so would be making the same kind of mistake dumping Stralman. Consider he's been this productive saddled with Staal most nights, and think about what he could do with a better partner.

Fox, Trouba, and Lundkvist should fill the void reasonably well. Fox did what he did largely with PP2 and ES time; imagine what he's getting when it's Panarin and not Howden on the other end of these passes?

Reinhart is probably the hardest get, IMO. Buffalo would likely be making that move only under the auspices of having moved Ristolainen; can't see them having Ristolainen, Jokiharju, DeAngelo, Miller, and Montour. And frankly, I don't see a need for Buffalo to immediately backfill Ristolainen with someone who plays about the same amount of defense.

Colorado is a better fit, but they're note exactly swimming with players that meet our description. Even Jost has to come with a pretty nice prospect or pick to make it worthwhile to move ADA, I think. Are we going back to the "please give us Shane Bowers" bin?

Montour isn't a part of their future. Miller might not be, either. But losing Reinhart isn't something they'd likely jump at unless it really helped them. I'd argue, at least on paper, adding a top-10 scoring NHL defenseman would constitute that, irrespective of the off-ice factor(s).

EJ has three more years left and is a huge part of the culture in Colorado. Makar is their 1RD for the next decade. How does DeAngelo fit there long-term without freezing out the entire right side, just like the Rangers?

Vancouver just gave Horvat the C.

He's not going anywhere.

If we must deal DeAngelo, I think TB makes a lot of sense. Their right side defense is utter trash. I'd be interested in Point or Sergachev. They won't deal Sergachev because he's young and cost controlled, but I could see a deal around Point. TB would save some cap space as well since DeAngelo's next contract won't come in as high as Point's. With Zibanejad and Point, Strome can be traded. This is the only kind of deal I'm losing DeAngelo for. A bonafide top 2 center, or a young top 3-4 LD.

If we must deal DeAngelo, I think TB makes a lot of sense. Their right side defense is utter trash. I'd be interested in Point or Sergachev. They won't deal Sergachev because he's young and cost controlled, but I could see a deal around Point. TB would save some cap space as well since DeAngelo's next contract won't come in as high as Point's. With Zibanejad and Point, Strome can be traded. This is the only kind of deal I'm losing DeAngelo for. A bonafide top 2 center, or a young top 3-4 LD.

Does Tampa trade to take him back when they dealt him to Arizona originally? Maybe they still question his attitude. Also not sure about Point as the option there. I'm all for shooting for the moon but I don't think they'd trade him for DeAngelo. The Rangers would need to add. Cirelli would be a good option. He's a pending RFA. Very good two-way C. Not a high offensive output though.

Montour isn't a part of their future. Miller might not be, either. But losing Reinhart isn't something they'd likely jump at unless it really helped them. I'd argue, at least on paper, adding a top-10 scoring NHL defenseman would constitute that, irrespective of the off-ice factor(s).

EJ has three more years left and is a huge part of the culture in Colorado. Makar is their 1RD for the next decade. How does DeAngelo fit there long-term without freezing out the entire right side, just like the Rangers?

Miller and Montour are both under team control for two more seasons. I don't think they're part of the future in Buffalo, but they're definitely part of the calculus for the present and the next season.

As for Colorado - they have no RD depth beyond those two. Timmins is a giant question mark, and that's it for the system. Byram, Girard, Graves, Zadorov - all LD. ADA is at the very least an intriguing option. I'd probably not be jumping at the idea if I were Sakic, but it's at least plausible to see an opening there.

I'd love if we could pry Josh Norris out of Ottawa here, but I just don't see a world where Ottawa wants to take ADA right this moment.

Does Tampa trade to take him back when they dealt him to Arizona originally? Maybe they still question his attitude. Also not sure about Point as the option there. I'm all for shooting for the moon but I don't think they'd trade him for DeAngelo. The Rangers would need to add. Cirelli would be a good option. He's a pending RFA. Very good two-way C. Not a high offensive output though.

I don’t think Tampa could afford ADA on a swap for Cirelli and they really like him. I’d love him on this team and I think he’s a very very good two way player with plenty of offensive upside. Point for ADA doesn’t make much sense either considering you still have to re up a few guys on their end and ADA probably gets around 6m+ per. Unless they trade Tyler Johnson to a team with tons of cap and dangle a prospect in a cap dump type situation.

I don’t think Tampa could afford ADA on a swap for Cirelli and they really like him. I’d love him on this team and I think he’s a very very good two way player with plenty of offensive upside. Point for ADA doesn’t make much sense either considering you still have to re up a few guys on their end and ADA probably gets around 6m+ per. Unless they trade Tyler Johnson to a team with tons of cap and dangle a prospect in a cap dump type situation.

It's a fair point, but the Tampa that traded ADA is a very different Tampa than today. Different management and all.

Math on Tampa just doesn't work, though.

I don?t think Tampa could afford ADA on a swap for Cirelli and they really like him. I?d love him on this team and I think he?s a very very good two way player with plenty of offensive upside. Point for ADA doesn?t make much sense either considering you still have to re up a few guys on their end and ADA probably gets around 6m+ per. Unless they trade Tyler Johnson to a team with tons of cap and dangle a prospect in a cap dump type situation.

They have to do that anyway. DeAngelo instead of Point saves them cap.

It's a fair point, but the Tampa that traded ADA is a very different Tampa than today. Different management and all.

Math on Tampa just doesn't work, though.

It’s just the math for me that makes it not work. Also, I’m not positive they need him regardless of his attitude . They likely re up Sergachev, already had McD and Hedman