• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Chytil, Tony DeAngelo Will Force Rangers into Tough Roster Decisions

Phil

I dont think you need another high draft pick. This article is already talking about Chytil forcing someone out, or playing 3rd line minutes. Where are you going to put more top 6 guys? And we havent even seen any of the 3 top 10 picks play higher than the 3rd line.

That’s also a fair estimation.

We don’t know that they actually NEED it.

But I wouldn’t be bothered by them hedging their bet.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleh. I'm all for reclamation projects. Just not at the expense of one of the club's best trading chips. Zacha is way down on the list of players I'd even consider in a deal, and again, if I'm dealing with an arch-rival, they're paying through the fuckin' nose. The Rangers are giving up the best player in the deal in this deal. I'm doing everything I can to flip that script.

That’s fair. I was just throwing it out there and forgot the pick part. I was just figuring even if he topped out at a 50 point player, we have enough fire power as it is scoring wise and some important decisions up ahead where two years of his cap would be great.

Krug wasn't a direct comparable. I was trying to illustrate what puck-movers get in free agency. That being said, the difference between a 25- or 26-year old and a 29-year old is still negligible on the open market if the commodity itself — a mobile, point-producing D — is something every team badly wants. It's the same story with centers. Because they're the hardest pieces to find and rarely make it to the market. Teams regularly trip over themselves to offer big bucks and bigger term to players who will ultimately give them fewer years of what earned them the deal in the first place than the life of the contract they sign.

But you're right on the number of years. I was going off memory, and mine was off. I thought he had just one year of RFA left. He has two. So that's your window to work with if you want a "manageable" number. Any long-term deal that buys UFA years beyond that comes at UFA prices. That's starting at $6.5 million, minimum.

Your $6M vicinity would work as a two-year deal. Not four.

Hell, you can even make a case to say 28-29 really aren’t there years to “cash” in with today’s nhl. The trend in recent years has been to overpay a bit earlier in order to get their best years and hope the cap continually went up where it looks like a future bargain. Fine we can let arbitration decide what the 5th best offensive production is worth but we may not like it any more than what he asks for. If by some miracle we got him to agree to yet another show me deal, does that make him a ufa at the end or is he still rfa

Bleh. I'm all for reclamation projects. Just not at the expense of one of the club's best trading chips. Zacha is way down on the list of players I'd even consider in a deal, and again, if I'm dealing with an arch-rival, they're paying through the fuckin' nose. The Rangers are giving up the best player in the deal in this deal. I'm doing everything I can to flip that script.

Krug wasn't a direct comparable. I was trying to illustrate what puck-movers get in free agency. That being said, the difference between a 25- or 26-year old and a 29-year old is still negligible on the open market if the commodity itself — a mobile, point-producing D — is something every team badly wants. It's the same story with centers. Because they're the hardest pieces to find and rarely make it to the market. Teams regularly trip over themselves to offer big bucks and bigger term to players who will ultimately give them fewer years of what earned them the deal in the first place than the life of the contract they sign.

But you're right on the number of years. I was going off memory, and mine was off. I thought he had just one year of RFA left. He has two. So that's your window to work with if you want a "manageable" number. Any long-term deal that buys UFA years beyond that comes at UFA prices. That's starting at $6.5 million, minimum.

Are you sure it's not 3 RFA years? He doesn't turn 27 until after FA 2022 has concluded. IIRC you need to be 27 by July 1 of that year to be a UFA. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would mean 20-21, 21-22, and 22-23 seasons are all as RFA. Summer '23 he's 27 almost 28.

Yeah I just don’t see ADA to Tampa as a viable option at all. You know what team does have room for him? Devils. Wonder how in love they are with Zacha since they are fairly deep in C with Hughes and Hischier......not that I wouldn’t vomit trading with the Devils but still lol

Why would you even want Zacha? He's a fourth-liner. If I'm dealing with the Devils, the ask for DeAngelo begins (and ends) with Boqvist or Smith. I'm not interested in any of their roster trash. The only guy I might have shown some interest in was Coleman, and he's gone.

Under 2.5 cap hit for two additional seasons, 6-3, big body, technically had a good scouting report Out of Europe, is only 23, center, technically on pace for a mid 40s point season. I’d expect more as well in terms of a pick or two, which seeing how trash the Devils are, would be a pretty good pick.

That’s fair. I was just throwing it out there and forgot the pick part. I was just figuring even if he topped out at a 50 point player, we have enough fire power as it is scoring wise and some important decisions up ahead where two years of his cap would be great.

Hell, you can even make a case to say 28-29 really aren’t there years to “cash” in with today’s nhl. The trend in recent years has been to overpay a bit earlier in order to get their best years and hope the cap continually went up where it looks like a future bargain. Fine we can let arbitration decide what the 5th best offensive production is worth but we may not like it any more than what he asks for. If by some miracle we got him to agree to yet another show me deal, does that make him a ufa at the end or is he still rfa

Zacha, at this point, for ADA would be a coup for the Devils and it’s the wrong trade on many levels.

And I say that as someone who actually likes Zacha and thinks he’ll actually develop into a nice two-way middle-6 forward one day. But I’m also convinced that the absolute ceiling for him is probably the 15-18 goals, and 45-50 points range.

That’s a respectable neighborhood but who knows when or even if he will arrive there.

Also, he’s not been good enough in the circle as of yet to consider him a really viable center of a defensive or two-way nature, despite the fact that he’s played and performed pretty well on the PK.

That, and what it would cost to deal with Jersey makes it a no go.

He’s actually relatively close, with some continued growth and improvement, to what at least I thought Lias could be for this team.

Why would you even want Zacha? He's a fourth-liner. If I'm dealing with the Devils, the ask for DeAngelo begins (and ends) with Boqvist or Smith. I'm not interested in any of their roster trash. The only guy I might have shown some interest in was Coleman, and he's gone.

I would hang up the phone if they called and offered Zacha. Devils fans would rejoice in unison. They pissed that draft pick away in a big way. However he's a guy Lias could maybe grow into which is even sadder productivity wise. 6th pick fourth line penalty killer

I would hang up the phone if they called and offered Zacha. Devils fans would rejoice in unison. They pissed that draft pick away in a big way. However he's a guy Lias could maybe grow into which is even sadder productivity wise. 6th pick fourth line penalty killer

Zacha isn’t a 4th liner. He’s not one now. Nor will he be one moving forward. He’s basically a 3rd line, PK type guy who hasn’t shown a ton of offense to his game thus far. There’s probably not too much more there offensively either. I’ll totally concede that. But I think when all is said and done with him, he probably rounds into 15 goals, 45 points, with good two-way play and PK. That’s a quality 3rd line player.

He’s playing 16 minutes a night and while that may be in part due to him being on a bad Devils team, he’s not ever going to be a guy who plays the typical 8-12 minutes per game that a 4th line guy does.

Cool. Andersson for Zacha. DeAngelo comes nowhere near the deal without multiple first-round picks or one of Smith/Boqvist.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I was saying with picks for the second time lol

I’m not sure u get multiple firsts but I’d say ada for Zachary + one 1st, one 2nd . Something along those lines.