• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Shot at the Cup or a Shot at Lafreni?re?

I'm sure this has been debated in drips and drabs elsewhere, but I wanted to take the temperature of the room. Which would you rather? And before you say that our luck stinks, we never pick first overall, and the chances are too low to justify it, I ask you to consider if our chances of winning a Cup are any better. Do you honestly think we have greater than a 10% chance? I'm aware that the value of playoff experience isn't limited to victory alone, especially for a young roster. But this is not conventional "playoff experience." No sea of 20,000 rabid fans for either team waving white towels, no pressure cooker type atmosphere, etc. For all intents and purposes, these playoffs are not even as stressful as a regular season game. It's basically exhibition or scrimmage, in my opinion. Sure, the intensity will be there on the ice. But we all know whoever captures Lord Stanley's Cup will forever have an asterisk next to their name for the 2019-20 season. Especially if a play-in team wins it all somehow, fans everywhere will cry that the team didn't even technically make the playoffs.

Everyone knows my feelings about drafting and building. I always lean toward prospects and picks. This being said, we're not giving up any assets. This isn't a trade for an aging vet, it's a trade of a gamble of something that may or may not, more than likely not, come to pass. Looking at the Blues last year, a bottom feeder for the first half that rode chemistry and a hot rookie goalie to a championship, I would rather we go for it. Believe it or not, I think our chances are better now than they will be when guys like Lundkvist and Miller are on the blueline. The teams that got shafted the worst by the season pause are the hot teams with veteran experience. Boston, out of everyone, is the most disadvantaged by this setup IMO. Their momentum was interrupted, and I think it's going to take older players longer to find their legs.

Literally anything can happen. Despite what odds-makers and pundits might say, I think any team has as good of a shot as any other. Everyone has us as a dark horse/sleeper pick. When you look at our roster, the components are there. The weakest spot is the defense, but a hot goalie can cover a lot of that. In that sense, it's good Igor and Buch had a chance to heal. Kreider is back healthy too. We benefited A LOT from the pause, including the chance to only need three more wins to make the playoffs. That would not have been the case in the regular season.

If Zib stays hot, if Breadman continues to elevate the whole team, if Igor catches fire, if Kakko gets out of his own head, etc. we could catch a lot of teams off guard. Igor was routinely giving up 3 goals during his crazy run of wins, and we still won. We proved we can outscore almost anybody, and did it against quality teams. Factor in that home ice advantage isn't really a thing this year, and watch out. This being said, my pick to win it all is actually Winnipeg.

Side note: did the NHL botch the lottery or what? There's a legit chance of an already great team picking first overall, when a team like Ottawa or Detroit really, really needed it.

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't root for the Rangers to lose in playoff scenarios, but I won't be upset like I normally would be if they lose either for the reasons you've mentioned.

Last year pulling for losses to improve lottery chances was different in this regard because they were already eliminated from contention.

Define botched? I don't see how the lottery itself could be botched. The ping pong balls go how they go through randomness and chance. If you mean the percentages are set too low for bad teams to win the lottery, I would say probably yes.

Getting Lafreniere would be franchise altering, but it's still just a 12.5% chance for that to possibly happen. I'd rather see the team win the cup, if possible, especially for Lundqvist's sake. Winning a cup now could potentially allow Lundqvist to just ride off into the sunset which would solve a number of problems in addition to finally seeing that man get what he's deserved. I'd love to get Lafreniere, he'd be an excellent consolation prize if they lose to Carolina, but I can't actively root for getting him over competing when they might have a chance in this chaos.

Getting Lafreniere would be franchise altering, but it's still just a 12.5% chance for that to possibly happen. I'd rather see the team win the cup, if possible, especially for Lundqvist's sake. Winning a cup now could potentially allow Lundqvist to just ride off into the sunset which would solve a number of problems in addition to finally seeing that man get what he's deserved. I'd love to get Lafreniere, he'd be an excellent consolation prize if they lose to Carolina, but I can't actively root for getting him over competing when they might have a chance in this chaos.

If by some chance they win this year, I'd venture a guess it would likely be with Shesterkin in net. I'm not sure that fits Lundqvist's version of winning the Cup and riding off into the sunset.

If by some chance they win this year, I'd venture a guess it would likely be with Shesterkin in net. I'm not sure that fits Lundqvist's version of winning the Cup and riding off into the sunset.

Cup is a Cup. I doubt Lundqvist would yeet the Cup into the stands because he didn't win it on his own terms. I think he'd be smart enough to know that he's not winning it any other way.

The whole point of the game is to have a shot at winning the cup.

Prospects are a good consolation for having a shitty team but realistically I don't give a shit about them if the team remains terrible. We wanted Kakko, we got him. And we saw that he didn't light the world on fire. That's not to say he won't eventually, but we're only alive for so long - I'm not trying to waste 3-5 more years of my life watching shitty hockey in hopes that an 18 year old will eventually get good.

No, we have a chance right now to make the playoffs. We should all hope we take that opportunity and do something with it. Anything can happen once we're in, so let's go.

He'd skate with it and have his name on the Cup. Ideal? Nope. Winner? Yup. Check, please.

Cup is a Cup. I doubt Lundqvist would yeet the Cup into the stands because he didn't win it on his own terms. I think he'd be smart enough to know that he's not winning it any other way.

He'd skate with it and have his name on the Cup. Ideal? Nope. Winner? Yup. Check, please.

Sure, the Cup still matters, but not nearly as much from a personal standpoint. It's why we talk about Mike Richter and not Glenn Healy.

You don't think "someone else won the Cup for him" wouldn't be tied to his legacy? He would be happy to hoist the Cup, but not on a personal level like he accomplished it...unless he plays and contributes.

Sure, the Cup still matters, but not nearly as much from a personal standpoint. It's why we talk about Mike Richter and not Glenn Healy.

You don't think "someone else won the Cup for him" wouldn't be tied to his legacy? He would be happy to hoist the Cup, but not on a personal level like he accomplished it...unless he plays and contributes.

I think he's probably content enough with his legacy as the greatest goaltender to ever put on a Ranger sweater. He's led Sweden to gold in both the World Championships and the Olympics. I think he'd be more than happy to finally win a Stanley Cup even if it means being the backup. It's not like he hadn't fought for it and gotten close before. This could potentially be his last shot entirely, and especially his last shot in New York. Is there really a better, realistic approach? I don't think so.

He should answer those questions the same way Roy did.

"I can't hear you. My Stanley Cup ring is in my ear."

100%

Winning a Cup solves all problems. Panarin's contract becoming a huge anchor in 6 years? Doesn't matter; won Cup.

Exactly. Whole team craters in two years? Sorry, I can't hear you. This Cup is still in my ear.

100%

Winning a Cup solves all problems. Panarin's contract becoming a huge anchor in 6 years? Doesn't matter; won Cup.

Imagine if we just won in 2014. I wouldnt give a shit about Girardi, Staal and Hanks horrible contracts. They could get a new contract if they wanted too.

Now I wish they never signed the contracts in the first place...

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Cup - and don't think for a second this team can't do it bc they were easily a contender in the second half of the season, playing with easily 2 of the top 10, maybe 5 players in the league. No reason to count them out of anything - go for it kids
  • Like 1

I agree that the Rangers are close to being contenders, but the 3rd and 4th lines are simply nothing like those of contending teams.
Agree.

Winning midweek, non conference games in Jan and Feb doesn't make you a contender.

In the playoffs depth is king and the Rangers 3rd line is an AHL 2nd line.

I'd love to see them win a cup....anytime...but I think SOD's got the right idea. Make no mistake, I'll be cheering my dick off for them to win, but I'm still going with the idea that we have to endure one more season of these 4 contracts dogging us. Not to mention our depth being a serious anchor for the time being.

Smith

Staal

Hank

Shatty's buyout

After next season I think we're going to be "The team" to watch, and the sky's the limit, especially with JD and Gorts holding the reins.

I just wanna see some hockey right now!!! I don't care if they play in fucking Tokyo, just play, baby!!!! :thumbs: