• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Starting Six: Should Have Been Edition

The Premise: Build your top six players through the years that were either heavily rumoured, had deals "on the table", or would have just been the right fit at the right time. Three forwards, two defencemen, and a goalie. Feel free to add a coach into the mix as well.

As the replies come in, we'll build a full roster of the most popular answers to make the "All Shoulda-Been" Team.

I'll start:

Keith Tkachuk - Joe Sakic - Alex Radulov

Shea Weber - Sheldon Souray

Nikolai Khabibulin

---------------

BSBH All Shoulda-Been:

Keith Tkachuk - Joe Sakic - Right Wing

Ilya Kovalchuk - Petr Forsberg - Right Wing

Left Wing - Center - Right Wing

Left Wing - Center - Right Wing

Shea Weber - Zdeno Chara

Defenseman - Defenseman

Defenseman - Defenseman

Nikolai Khabibulin

Goalie

Head Coach

• Like 1

Tony Amonte, Alexei Cherepanov, Pavel Bure

We had all these guys but they never got their chance to shine.

I didn't know Nikolai Khabibulin was rumored. That would have been cool.

That's not what this thread is for. It's about guys who never became Rangers but should have. Amonte and Bure were both Rangers, and Cherepanov was a drafted prospect.

I'll go with:

Stamkos - Sakic - Forsberg - Forward

Chara - Weber - Defense

Maybe I'm losing my cookies but I think we had a shot a Hasek before he got dealt to Detroit..

So I'll say Hasek - Goalie

Wasn't Kovalchuk strongly rumored to want to sign with the Rangers in 2010? Gotta have him up front.

Yup. Before that, even. I think it was after his ELC — the Rangers would have been in all kinds of tampering trouble if any of it got out. They had him touring the city, looking at apartments and shit. Same as they did for Weber when they were going to sign him to an offer sheet. Except that was at least legal.

Yup. Rangers were in all kinds of tampering trouble if any of it got out LOL. They had him touring the city, looking at apartments and shit. Same as they did for Weber when they were going to sign him to an offer sheet. Except that was at least legal.

I thought Weber came out saying that he didn't want to play in a big city like NY at one point?

I agree

It’s not as though the NHL has any small towns to choose from though

Well, no, but small "markets," which might have been what he was after. Or, given the Philly offer sheet, he just didn't want to come to New York?