• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Artemi Panarin Announced as Finalist for Ted Lindsay Award

Phil

To me, this is sort of reminisce of the 2005-2006 season where I thought Jagr should have won the Hart, but it went to Thornton instead. I know he was insane when he was traded to the Sharks that year, but I think almost everyone knew who the real MVP of the league was that year. Jagr did wind up getting the Pearson, and he said that meant more to him because it's voted by his peers. I mean, it wouldn't be a total blindside if Draisaitl won the Hart, like when Thornton did, but it's just the situation reminds me of '06 a bit. So, I think this is the award he gets and one of the two Oilers gets the Hart.

To me, this is sort of reminisce of the 2005-2006 season where I thought Jagr should have won the Hart, but it went to Thornton instead. I know he was insane when he was traded to the Sharks that year, but I think almost everyone knew who the real MVP of the league was that year. Jagr did wind up getting the Pearson, and he said that meant more to him because it's voted by his peers. I mean, it wouldn't be a total blindside if Draisaitl won the Hart, like when Thornton did, but it's just the situation reminds me of '06 a bit. So, I think this is the award he gets and one of the two Oilers gets the Hart.

I was thinking the same thing. Jagr had a true MVP season that year. Anyone who transformed a perennial bottom feeder, whose two next best players on offense were Martin Straka and Michael Nylander, into a playoff contender singlehandedly, while shattering a decades old franchise record in the process, deserved the Hart. That said, for some reason the Hart is the one that gets all the buzz and I think carries a tad more prestige, even if it (allegedly) doesn't mean as much to the players.

With the exception of the FLY line for about two months, that was the most entertaining line they've had. I know Jagr made those two much better, but they still fed off each other really nicely. That whole line and season is just really memorable to me.

The Czechmates would like a word...

Yeah, I'll happily eat crow on this one. I'm sure I could find it in the thread where the Panarin to NY rumors first started, but I was opposed to signing him. I thought the move reeked of desperation and a desire to jump the gun back into contention when we weren't quite ready. Additionally, he didn't meet my somewhat arbitrary standard of being a "too big to fail" type player. The theory is that unless they're so damn good it's impossible to suck, like legendary elite-style players, coming to NY is a death sentence. I also thought his Calder Trophy season was inflated by playing with Kane.

Messier, Jagr, Bure, Lindros (albeit to a lesser extent), etc. fell in the "too big to fail" category. Guys like Nash, Drury, Gomez, Richards, etc. fell into the latter category of great players headed for disappointment. I was way, way, WAYYYY off. This guy is sensational. Forget the goals for a second. I think you see everything you need to on his pass to Zibanejad in OT against the Caps for Zib's 5th goal of the game. It almost looks lazy, but he's just that good. You see the briefest of glances over his shoulder, then he calmly drifts to the puck and, without looking, slings it effortlessly on to Zib's stick across the entire neutral zone for a clear breakaway.

The guy is just so damn good. He makes it look easy, and he doesn't seem to make mistakes. Very, very happy to have him and can earnestly say he's worth every penny of that contract.

Yeah, I'll happily eat crow on this one. I'm sure I could find it in the thread where the Panarin to NY rumors first started, but I was opposed to signing him. I thought the move reeked of desperation and a desire to jump the gun back into contention when we weren't quite ready. Additionally, he didn't meet my somewhat arbitrary standard of being a "too big to fail" type player. The theory is that unless they're so damn good it's impossible to suck, like legendary elite-style players, coming to NY is a death sentence. I also thought his Calder Trophy season was inflated by playing with Kane.

Messier, Jagr, Bure, Lindros (albeit to a lesser extent), etc. fell in the "too big to fail" category. Guys like Nash, Drury, Gomez, Richards, etc. fell into the latter category of great players headed for disappointment. I was way, way, WAYYYY off. This guy is sensational. Forget the goals for a second. I think you see everything you need to on his pass to Zibanejad in OT against the Caps for Zib's 5th goal of the game. It almost looks lazy, but he's just that good. You see the briefest of glances over his shoulder, then he calmly drifts to the puck and, without looking, slings it effortlessly on to Zib's stick across the entire neutral zone for a clear breakaway.

The guy is just so damn good. He makes it look easy, and he doesn't seem to make mistakes. Very, very happy to have him and can earnestly say he's worth every penny of that contract.

We talked before about Panarin's Hart-worthy season and his competition, comparing it to Jagr in '06. Panarin was basically the Jagr of that year to the Rangers this past season as far as carrying the team (mostly) offensively. The big difference is that Jagr didn't have a guy like Zibanejad next to him. This season reminds me a little of that year with the team being carried by a big offensive player, and also a young goalie coming in and playing great. I know Shesterkin came in much later in the year, whereas Lundqvist started the season, but you know what I mean.

We talked before about Panarin's Hart-worthy season and his competition, comparing it to Jagr in '06. Panarin was basically the Jagr of that year to the Rangers this past season as far as carrying the team (mostly) offensively. The big difference is that Jagr didn't have a guy like Zibanejad next to him. This season reminds me a little of that year with the team being carried by a big offensive player, and also a young goalie coming in and playing great. I know Shesterkin came in much later in the year, whereas Lundqvist started the season, but you know what I mean.

Not that your point isn't well taken in that Jagr was a beast, but Nylander and Straka both had over 70 points that year too.

Not that your point isn't well taken in that Jagr was a beast, but Nylander and Straka both had over 70 points that year too.

Oh, for sure, that line was insane. Nylander and Straka were both great anyway, Jagr made them better. But, it's even more exciting having a guy like Zib next to him. Two much younger guys who can lead this team to longer term success. But, Jagr, that line and the '06 team will always have a special place.