• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rykov's Not at Training Camp; Future is "Unclear"

Phil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of now, no.

Totally understand that people are down or discouraged or whatever on him.

But no reason to believe he won?t be fantastic

Think so? I think it's hard to be fantastic in a speed league when you can't skate.

As of now, no.

Totally understand that people are down or discouraged or whatever on him.

But no reason to believe he won?t be fantastic

I'd be happy if he was a consistent 65-70 point player. Him Zib and Panarin would be augmented by our defense prospects if they turn out well.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

His skating will improve now that he's in our system and they know they need to focus on it. He thinks the game and moves like Kevin Hayes but with more talent. Hayes took some time. When you play a patience game it's hard to impress when you're so young and new to the top league in the world. Still think Kakko will be great. He's 18 years old.

Also guys like Pavelski, Brock Nelson, Bobby Ryan, Tavares, Matt Tkachuk, Corey Perry, Anders Lee, Laine, Mark Stone are just a few of the guys that do quite well while having average to below average skating. I think it just takes a bit more time to adjust to the league when you can't fly around. I think Stone is great comparison for Kakko while Kakko may be a bit more physical as he matures...

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/8406

Mark Stone

Has great hands and the knowledge to go to prime scoring areas. Is deadly from in close, but also has an accurate shot. Also displays great hockey sense on offense and an active stick on defense. Does not always make the best use of his 6-3 frame, and he generally lacks a nasty streak. While he gets to where he needs to be, his skating is below-average for the National Hockey League level.

Long Range Potential: Excellent, cagey scoring winger.

Think so? I think it's hard to be fantastic in a speed league when you can't skate.

I don’t know

What I do know is that he’s still a teenager and had yet to really grow into his body or approach the highest point of his physical abilities. That’s among him already having to make a huge adjustment.

We will see.

Though I do agree that his skating is an issue. As is his physical strength.

Both can be improved.

And everyone knew that his speed was never going to be the hinge upon which his success swung.

Strangely, Kakko’s skating was absolutely fine until he got to NY and they stressed the short choppy strides.

Best thing for his game would be moving to the Left wing for a bit. Let’s him play with the puck a bit more.

Also guys like Pavelski, Brock Nelson, Bobby Ryan, Tavares, Matt Tkachuk, Corey Perry, Anders Lee, Laine, Mark Stone are just a few of the guys that do quite well while having average to below average skating. I think it just takes a bit more time to adjust to the league when you can't fly around. I think Stone is great comparison for Kakko while Kakko may be a bit more physical as he matures...

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/8406

It’s about making your skating effective at the nhl level.

Ryan Callahan was said to be a fast skater by rangers fans. He’s not fast at all, he just made his skating effective for his game.

Marc Staal had great speed until about 2 yeas ago. You will never hear that from a rangers fan.

Zuccarello is slow as shit. Stepan, too. Panarin’s speed is average for a winger.

Kakko will figure it out.

It?s about making your skating effective at the nhl level.

Ryan Callahan was said to be a fast skater by rangers fans. He?s not fast at all, he just made his skating effective for his game.

Marc Staal had great speed until about 2 yeas ago. You will never hear that from a rangers fan.

Zuccarello is slow as shit. Stepan, too. Panarin?s speed is average for a winger.

Kakko will figure it out.

Also there's about six players on that list that have been terrible since the league got fast.

Specifically Laine and Stone are players who live on their shot, where Kakko does not.

I dunno.

There were never sparks of anything to make me believe he's offensively explosive.

Honestly, Chytil is more dynamic.

I know what you're saying because I saw the same most of the time, but when I think about his potential I think about that little stretch right before he got hurt and that game where he scored the OT winner and seemed to kind of take over the last part of that game. I saw sparks there. Then he was derailed like the next game I think.

I dunno.

There were never sparks of anything to make me believe he's offensively explosive.

Honestly, Chytil is more dynamic.

Yeah

I get where you’re coming from. I’m not wowed either at this point.

But I never put much stock in the rookie year of a teenager.

I’m happy to wait and see what progress he makes and see where he’s at at around 200 games, unless it’s blatantly obvious, before I make up my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Lindgren, Robertson, Miller, Hajek

Rykov, Reunanen, Zac Jones

Crawley, Ragnarsson

Gross

Plus, they either need to move a RHD or someone is playing the left side: Trouba, Fox, Lundkvist, Deangelo

• 2 weeks later...
Lindgren, Robertson, Miller, Hajek

Rykov, Reunanen, Zac Jones

Crawley, Ragnarsson

Gross

Plus, they either need to move a RHD or someone is playing the left side: Trouba, Fox, Lundkvist, Deangelo

Just saw your response.

4 of those players have questionable futures with the team.

Rykov... Yeah see OP

Hajek. Not sounding like they are confident in him either

Crawley is AHL fodder

Reunanen is a long shot.

They certainly could use the depth up and down the tiers of the organization. Plus, I was talking ng about playoff depth for this year.

At this point, I don't think the Rangers can be too sure about any prospect and let such a prospect walk for nothing. If he is good. It's an asset. If not. He's Sean Day and he goes off to Tampa and becomes a first pairing stud (lol).

Just saw your response.

4 of those players have questionable futures with the team.

Rykov... Yeah see OP

Hajek. Not sounding like they are confident in him either

Crawley is AHL fodder

Reunanen is a long shot.

They certainly could use the depth up and down the tiers of the organization. Plus, I was talking ng about playoff depth for this year.

At this point, I don't think the Rangers can be too sure about any prospect and let such a prospect walk for nothing. If he is good. It's an asset. If not. He's Sean Day and he goes off to Tampa and becomes a first pairing stud (lol).

We should have kept Gross? Because... Reunanen is a long shot?