• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rykov's Not at Training Camp; Future is "Unclear"

Phil

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rough year for Rangers prospects

Andersson

Kakko

Kravtsov

Hajek

Miller

Rykov

Chytil

Howden

I think Kakko is on us for expecting him to be like an MVP caliber player right off the bat. Im still confident that in a couple of years he will be a legit top line NHL winger

Kravstov also probably had too high of expectations and hype early on too

Lundkvist is the only potential saving grace. I was high on Hajek so I'm hoping he can get his head to match his physical skills, but he might just be even shittier John Moore.

Well, Herman says his NHL sources aren't high on Hajek, so...I'm sure there's a Norris in his future.

I think Kakko is on us for expecting him to be like an MVP caliber player right off the bat. Im still confident that in a couple of years he will be a legit top line NHL winger

This.

I'm so curious to see how Kakko comes out after these past few months. He got an artificial rest and was on the ice pretty frequently over in Finland w/Georgiev.

Kravtsov seems very motivated right now too.

I'd also point out that we saw leaps-and-bounds from Fox, Lundkvist, Lindgren, Shesterkin, Barron, Pajuniemi, and a few others. I'm also putting zero concerns on K'Andre Miller - he's had a foot out the door in Wisconsin for a while now, and by all accounts had a really poor team around him.

I certainly didn't expect Kakko to be a MVP caliber player by any means but I did expect him to be a respectable top 6 by mid-season or so. Didn't expect him to be a bad NHL player (even close to the worst?) by some metrics that others have posted here before. There's a huge difference. Doesn't mean he's not going to get better just means he's got a much longer road to travel to get to where I hoped he would be.

The problem with Kakko is not that he did not excel in his first year but rather the reasons he did not excel, some of which, like a lack of speed, are not readily remediable. I think he will still be a good possession, hands offensive zone player in time. Adequate defensive play from him is something beyond the horizon at the moment. I think he'll be a good player, but I doubt he'll be what you expect from a No.2 overall, who would have been No. 1 more years than not.

I'm not as keen on Chytil as some. He has some excellent games, but also lengthy periods of invisibility. His line pretty much got eaten up by most measures.

Obviously, the development of our young D men in New York offsets some of the disappointments.

When it comes to forwards,we look more and more like a top heavy organization without the foot soldiers of a contender.

imo as for Chytil he's been disappointing but has kind of gotten a free pass because some of the others have been even worse or haven't been seen at all. (Lias, Kakko etc.) Again still young but hoping to see more next season for sure. Agree with Sod when it comes to forwards the top small handful are very good with Panarin being great and Zibs being right there. Outside that small handful there's a bunch of interchangeable parts that probably aren't good enough to get this team close enough to a cup as is. Just a whole lot of meh there imo.

The problem with Kakko is not that he did not excel in his first year but rather the reasons he did not excel, some of which, like a lack of speed, are not readily remediable. I think he will still be a good possession, hands offensive zone player in time. Adequate defensive play from him is something beyond the horizon at the moment. I think he'll be a good player, but I doubt he'll be what you expect from a No.2 overall, who would have been No. 1 more years than not.

I'm not as keen on Chytil as some. He has some excellent games, but also lengthy periods of invisibility. His line pretty much got eaten up by most measures.

Obviously, the development of our young D men in New York offsets some of the disappointments.

When it comes to forwards,we look more and more like a top heavy organization without the foot soldiers of a contender.

For Kakko, it's not that speed can't be addressed. It can. The problem is that there's a limit to how much speed he can add.

For Kakko, it's not that speed can't be addressed. It can. The problem is that there's a limit to how much speed he can add.

I see a lot of Jagr in Kakko's game with respect to how he uses his body to protect the puck, and he has the talent to do very well in tight spaces. He just needs to add more strength for that style of game. I don't think he will need a lot of speed to be an elite player, but I think he can make a similar jump that Chytil made between his 1st and 2nd year. I thought Chytil gained a half step and got quite a bit stronger on his skates.

he may never have facial hair and I'm not sure who here is panicking? To some of us he underperformed by almost every standard, there was very little to like. Doesn't mean anything more than he's got a long way to go. Can he get there, time will tell, hopefully so.

Can we let Kakko grow facial hair and maybe be able to have a beer legally before we do panic?
What do you think Buffalo fans would say to you if you said this about Eichel after a shit rookie year?

Kakko was totally oversold. That much is clear.

Now the question is what's his ceiling. Nik Antropov? That's disappointing.

Not about expectations, even. You have a group of prospects and the most you can say is “he’s a year older”

Probably because there wasn't anywhere near the same hype around Dach.

Well, if you look past the NY media hype train, he was projected as a top line NHL player. Not a generational talent or anything of the sort. Dach was also projected as a potential #1 C, so I don't think the expectations were that different. True, Hughes and Kakko were seen as can't miss 1 and 2 in that draft, but I feel like the expectations for Kakko (and Hughes) in certain quarters were far higher than what your typical prospect types were saying at the time.

Well, if you look past the NY media hype train, he was projected as a top line NHL player. Not a generational talent or anything of the sort. Dach was also projected as a potential #1 C, so I don't think the expectations were that different. True, Hughes and Kakko were seen as can't miss 1 and 2 in that draft, but I feel like the expectations for Kakko (and Hughes) in certain quarters were far higher than what your typical prospect types were saying at the time.

There were also quite a few walk-backs on Kakko by guys like Pronman. Can't find the link.

Projecting Dach as a #1 center doesn't mean a lot in terms of production. Some #1 centers are 65 point players. Some are 95 point players.

EDIT: It was Mitch Brown who did a breakdown on Kakko's skating just not being up to NHL average, which is an anchor to the rest of his game...Forcing him into rushed or indecision.

What do you think Buffalo fans would say to you if you said this about Eichel after a shit rookie year?

Kakko was totally oversold. That much is clear.

Now the question is what's his ceiling. Nik Antropov? That's disappointing.

I understand where you?re coming from.

But I don?t think it changes his ceiling or what his level of ability actually is.

He wasn?t a reach pick.

Clearly people were wrong about his NHL readiness. But that shouldn?t come as a surprise or be all that upsetting. It happens a lot

He definitely needs to take a step though.

I understand where you?re coming from.

But I don?t think it changes his ceiling or what his level of ability actually is.

He wasn?t a reach pick.

Clearly people were wrong about his NHL readiness. But that shouldn?t come as a surprise or be all that upsetting. It happens a lot

He definitely needs to take a step though.

He wasn't a reach at all. But he's not a Seguin/Eichel #2.