• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Announce Lindy Ruff as New Head Coach; Gord Murphy to Join NYR Staff

NHL is an ol boys club and Lindy ruff will always have a job. Devils GM played under Ruff who was an assistant in Florida when they went to the finals in '96 so im sure he trusts him.

Blackwood looks like he might be a pretty decent goalie but if Ruff gets to implement his own defensive system, he's gonna get shelled

He might actually be the right guy for a younger team.

Time will tell

It wouldn't surprise me if he does well with New Jersey, but of course, I really hope not. :p No matter, it just didn't work out here, and it's obviously the right move.

Oh, and, HOCKEY NEWS!!?!?! AMIRITE!!?!?!

I am so dying without sports!!!!

any news is like a gold nugget!!!

By the way...I got Lindy Ruff to NJ as fast as I could. ;)

• Like 1

He might be the right guy for a younger team.

Time will tell

He does well with a team that has a young roster. Look at what he did when he was the coach for the Sabres during his tenure, even if he didn't win a cup. Ruff is better as a head coach than an assistant.

Career length being somewhat of a factor. He was successful over a decade ago. Hasn't really had much success of late. Compare that to some of the other available options like Laviolette and Gallant who have recent Stanley Cup appearances at the very least.

Oh I'd take Laviolette over 95% of the coaches today. But Ruff isn't a complete shit show of a pick. He had success in Dallas and has brought along a few decent young players over his entire career.

That's not to say he did well as a defensive coach here. Nor has he had great defensive teams when he had success as a head coach. He did often have solid offense and utilized puck carrying /moving D men.