• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

F1 2020 Resumes with Austria Race

4EverRangerFrank

Glad for the podium boys - they were all deserving of the champagne. Agree with the comments above - pit entry lighting should be consistent among the circuits. What about hose crowds? I was very surprised to see the band playing and so many people on the grid and even a few in the stands. After today's interesting race, what do you think about reverse-order grid starts?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad for the podium boys - they were all deserving of the champagne. Agree with the comments above - pit entry lighting should be consistent among the circuits. What about hose crowds? I was very surprised to see the band playing and so many people on the grid and even a few in the stands. After today's interesting race, what do you think about reverse-order grid starts?

As far as I know, the proposal was that qualifying would be replaced with the reverse-order grid sprint to determine the race grid. I mean I support it since anything would make qualifying more interesting and seeing actual battles for position is always fun. I don't know how much teams would like it since it could lead to more incidents/damage right before the race.

I love the idea of a reverse grid sprint race, as I enjoy it so much in F2. But I'm torn as I'm a traditionalist and qualifying has been an integral part of F1's history and I would hate to see it gone and no longer have that competition for the outright fastest driver + car. Even if it's been a complete borefest the last several years thanks to Mercedes dominance.

That's a good point. I don't think you will see a glut of overtakes with reverse grid races like you see in F2/F3 where the cars are very less aero dependent and equalized machinery. It's not a solution that the current problem needs. I hope they just wait and see how the 2022 rules take effect before implementing some knee jerk changes like this. I do think though if we went back to the 2012 levels of shorter life span Pirelli tires you'd see a lot more passing. Ever since those 2013 incidents they've been on the conservative side and it's flat lined the performance even more.

Saw this talked about on Twitter, but imagine if Vettel had asked Racing Point to hold off on making official until right before the 1000th Ferrari GP to one up them?

I would love that if that were the case. Anything to stick it to that twat Binotto.

Edit - you were right, it's official now Vettel to Aston Martin for 2021+. Takes all the attention away from Ferrari's 1000th GP I love it hah :D

Absolute mayhem. Gutted to see Ricciardo lose out on a podium.

It was a long morning, but the race was worth it in my opinion. Very fun Tuscan GP. Would like to see more in the future.

RIC deserved a podium because he can always manage tires until the end. ALB also deserved his today since his string of bad luck. Well-worth getting up for that one - yes, quite entertaining. I stayed with the broadcast post-race and during the Renault interview, RIC said he would definitely like to come back to this venue. :clap:

RIC deserved a podium because he can always manage tires until the end. ALB also deserved his today since his string of bad luck. Well-worth getting up for that one - yes, quite entertaining. I stayed with the broadcast post-race and during the Renault interview, RIC said he would definitely like to come back to this venue. :clap:

Yeah, everyone they interviewed seemed pretty receptive to another Tuscan GP.

It's going to absolutely suck going to Sochi next. That track produces awful racing.

Talk about a complete contrast going from such a beautiful and picturesque track to the concrete borefest of Sochi. Not to mention it's huge parking lot runoffs and straights followed by 90 degree corners produces really boring racing. That was a really messy race today though especially the restart. Can't say I can blame Bottas as he was following the rules but man some of the mid pack drivers really needed to be more alert and not flooring it while seeing the cars ahead were still weaving around. Very scary accident, could've been much worse.

Big congrats to Mick Schumacher for another consistent weekend in the points and taking over the championship lead. Hope he can bring it home from here.

Talk about a complete contrast going from such a beautiful and picturesque track to the concrete borefest of Sochi. Not to mention it's huge parking lot runoffs and straights followed by 90 degree corners produces really boring racing. That was a really messy race today though especially the restart. Can't say I can blame Bottas as he was following the rules but man some of the mid pack drivers really needed to be more alert and not flooring it while seeing the cars ahead were still weaving around. Very scary accident, could've been much worse.

Big congrats to Mick Schumacher for another consistent weekend in the points and taking over the championship lead. Hope he can bring it home from here.

Him driving the F2004 before the race was just *chef's kiss*

I honestly enjoy how the hybrids currently sound. Some of the engines, like last year's Honda and this year's Renault, have this growl to them at low RPM - it's just so sexy. But those V10s... man... They're something else. I miss them.

I've grown into the hybrid sound but truly miss the primal scream of old - that snarl was downright scary. Maybe it's just my bias. When I was younger I raced high RPM enduro bikes and loved that sound and when the 4-strokes became popular with that low growl, I was not a fan. It was a totally different riding style that I just had trouble adapting to.

That said, I saw Formula-e in Brooklyn a couple of years back and that sound was awful, irritating even. Then my son and I went to race e-Karts and while not as whinny, they were fun as all heck to drive. All of the power all of the time! My other son works for a fund that saw one of their investment units partner with Fiskar in order to help finance their rollout of a new SUV (Ocean) for around $40,000. No sales just a pretty cool lease program with 30,000 miles annually. I'm prodding my wife to consider one as our first venture into electric.

https://www.fiskerinc.com/ocean/

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see Bottas be aggressive at the start and try to challenge Hamilton for a change. Although he's still too soft compared to Rosberg and would've settled for P2 if not for the penalties to Hamilton. Which were fully deserved by the way. Rules are rules.

And what's with Hamilton whining about the penalties after the race? He has a huge championship lead, had 6 easy wins handed to him on a platter this year, finishes a solid P3 and still whines. Not to mention throwing his team under the bus on team radio over the chosen strategy. I don't recall Schumacher ever attacking the team publicly over strategy or a DNF or a car issue. That's why Hamilton even if he amasses 191 wins, will never be in the same league as Schumacher as an overall driver and competitor.