• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

F1 2020 Resumes with Austria Race

4EverRangerFrank

HAM is a crybaby. And not to far behind him in that category is VET. I appreciate both guy?s skills but I can do without the complaints. Both of them should listen to RIC?s acceptance of responsibility for his error. He never whines like those two.

BOT soft? I guess I never really saw him like that but when you mention Niko, you nailed it.

Sochi proved to be better than expected in the drama department- the first lap incidents were plentiful. The exit ?aisle? near those bollards in turn 4 is quite slim. Too slim for safety IMO. I came to the race expecting a parade and some actual racing happened.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This track always produces good races. Lots of unreliability which changed up the top 10 quite a bit. Renault is looking pretty quick lately. What a shame for Bottas, he really needed to win today. His championship hopes are pretty much over now.

I'm kind of ambivalent to tying Schumacher's record. I view them as two very different records. Schumacher's came in an area where the 90s were much more competitive than what Hamilton has had to face. Whereas Hamilton has racked up majority of his wins in the biggest dominant period of F1. Far greater than Ferrari or Red Bull enjoyed. 7 seasons and counting. He's been consistent but I view his record as nothing more than a paper stat, even if he racks up 150 wins.

I'm tossed about HAM - sure he's good. The cars (and team coaching) are very different than Shumi's days on track. RIC had a great drive and HUL literally downed his coffee and took a drive - that was a very commendable effort from him. ALB - what's going on here? Very unlike what I expected from him this season in that Red Bull car. LEC eeked out a decent weekend gives me hope that Ferrari is finding something in that bag of rocks. WTF with Honda pulling out too? This isn't the first time that they left the sport. If they come back to F1 in the future can they be trusted to remain as a long-term partner? I think teams might be skittish about hooking up with them again.

I have the podium stuff on DVR and need to watch to see what transpired with Mick.

• 2 weeks later...
VER: P3 and ALB: P12. That was a very poor result for Alex. I had high hopes for him last year but he has been even worse than GAS in that seat, who has been extremely impressive since returning to STR. He looks like a completely transformed driver in fact.

Haas casting GRO and MAG to the wind. What?s going on? Making way for SHU Jr?

I wish that Haas would make a full-on press to make itself an American team. Corvette or Cadillac engine. Sprint or NASCAR driver backed by USA $.

Yeah they badly need the cash. Sounds like Nikita Mazepin is a prime candidate thanks to his Russian billionaire Dad's huge cash input to the team. The second seat might come down to Perez or Schumacher I feel.

Those first few laps were fun and visually exciting with cars battling side-by-side turn after turn over a couple of laps. If F1 can capture THAT with the upcoming formula they will have a very compelling series that will surely expand the viewership. The American marketplace is huge and barely tapped right now since I think most people see F1 as a 'European thing.'

VER: P3 and ALB: P12. That was a very poor result for Alex. I had high hopes for him last year but he has been even worse than GAS in that seat, who has been extremely impressive since returning to STR. He looks like a completely transformed driver in fact.

Albon is a complete shitshow. Total lack of confidence.

I completely missed this race weekend and it seems like I didn't miss that much.

Yeah not too much. Standard qualifying and processional race after the first 4-5 laps of excitement that kept me up but then I fell back asleep. Bottas is so far away from Hamilton's level it's terrible. I miss Rosberg in the team being able to at least regularly challenge Hamilton for poles/wins.

BOT or VER...who has the worst luck?

Verstappen, probably. Bottas has had his share of bad luck for sure, but I think Verstappen having 3 DNFs in Italy just takes the cake.

Great drives from Kvyat and Raikkonen today. Enjoyable enough race at the end, but boring for the most part. It was never a strong overtaking track but, especially with these regs, it's painfully boring for overtaking.

It really feels like the end of this season has dragged on after the torrid pace to begin the season - too many 2-week breaks.

Both have had their fair share of bad luck this year. Never ceases to amaze me how much luck Hamilton seems to have year after year. But I think Vettel takes the cake with the worst luck in F1 by far. If the man didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. Ferrari continues to screw him over firstly with a different chassis/upgrades than Leclerc, shitty strategies and now fucked up pitstops.

I was really impressed by Gasly today, shame about his DNF. Once again the drive of the weekend for me.

I wasn't expecting much overtaking action from this track, there's really no legitimate passing zones. Absolutely stunning location though. Was visiting Bologna a couple years ago and decided to drive down to visit Imola for the afternoon. Was kinda surreal walking around the quiet deserted track and looking at the corners in person recollecting all these moments from races I'd seen on TV.

Photo1204.jpg

Photo1205.jpg

Photo1206.jpg

Photo1211.jpg

Photo1213.jpg

Photo1214.jpg

Both have had their fair share of bad luck this year. Never ceases to amaze me how much luck Hamilton seems to have year after year. But I think Vettel takes the cake with the worst luck in F1 by far. If the man didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all. Ferrari continues to screw him over firstly with a different chassis/upgrades than Leclerc, shitty strategies and now fucked up pitstops.

I was really impressed by Gasly today, shame about his DNF. Once again the drive of the weekend for me.

I wasn't expecting much overtaking action from this track, there's really no legitimate passing zones. Absolutely stunning location though. Was visiting Bologna a couple years ago and decided to drive down to visit Imola for the afternoon. Was kinda surreal walking around the quiet deserted track and looking at the corners in person recollecting all these moments from races I'd seen on TV.

Photo1204.jpg

Photo1205.jpg

Photo1206.jpg

Photo1211.jpg

Photo1213.jpg

Photo1214.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. When I was in Italy a few years ago, I had wanted to make it out to Monza but it just wasn't in the cards. Maybe if I go back.

As for Vettel; all of what you said is certainly true, but I also don't think he does himself any favors. He has made some absolutely boneheaded mistakes on track and I refuse to believe the car he's driving is so vastly different from the one Leclerc is driving that Vettel has 18 points to Charles's 85. For comparison Hamilton-Bottas (282-197) and Verstappen-Albon (162-64) have similarly large driver points deltas and look at what's said about those two teammate relationships.

I'm not saying it's totally Vettel's fault, but he's simply not performing up to his own standards set by a 4x WDC.

Vettel's made a few cockups this year with some rookie spins but his qualifying pace is the most telling. There is no way a driver goes from matching his teammate tenth for tenth to being a second away from him in a span of a season. I refuse to believe that Leclerc has improved so much overnight and/or Vettel has worsened so much. Besides, I believe Vettel when he said himself that he's looked at the data and he's losing time to Leclerc at the exact same points every race and he's not an idiot...

Karan - thx for sharing those pics - awesome. I came close to visiting the track in Jerez during my honeymoon but it wasn't in the cards that day as a trip to Sandeman for port took the lead.

You guys are right about VET and he's not dumb either. You'd think Ferrari would want both cars in the points no matter who's driving next season. Truth will come out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

What a race, we needed one of those this season.

- Aside from sticking his nose in and causing bit of a mess at the start, finally this season a well deserved win by Hamilton. Kept it clean, drove patiently and managed his tires well even though he was no where on the first stint.

- What an embarrassingly bad race by Bottas. Really goes to show what a weak number 2 driver he is to keep life comfortable for Hamilton at the top. He definitely did his best Massa impression today alright.

- Was particularly amusing to see Verstappen and Leclerc chucking away solid positions with their silly mistakes.

- Last but not least, what a beautifully mature drive by Sebastian to bring it home in P3, his experience really shone through today.

After a poor start...for my DVR - it never recorded this morning - I had to wait for the replay at 3:30 then watch after dinner. Well worth the wait and I agree, we needed a race like that this season. Karan nailed all my thoughts about what happened. I found myself actually happy for HAM at the end. His emotion, real emotion I think, got me thinking that he isn?t such a dick after all. (Quali was just wild.)

VET showed experience and patience. That first stint where he frustrated a following HAM was fun.

LEC took a gamble and was not rewarded. Smart? Dumb? I?m 50-50 ?cause I really like the kid. Well, 40-60 thinking about it.

VER digressed and showed us signs of his former impatient self. I?m certain he is not pleased with his approach and the result.

BOT was like the commercial ?I?ve fallen and can?t get up.? Worst I?ve seen from him.

Honorable mentions: Did RIC race today? What the heck? ALB not endearing himself despite showing promise. STR? He just lost himself after that pit stop.

Like we said, a great race for fans. More new paving, please!