• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

F1 2020 Resumes with Austria Race

4EverRangerFrank

Fans wanted to see RUS get another drive this weekend and that would have been great for F1 media coverage. Still, he has a bright future having shown he could match and even exceed BOT in the 'same' car. BOT relieved I bet as he is expected to be bested by HAM so no real pressure at the end of the season. Maybe. I think M-B might still be looking at making a move beyond BOT in '21 since he has underwhelmed and has shown mistakes here and there that add up to, "This guy? We want to stay with this guy?" *looking over at RUS*

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALO having a blast - and that sound - ahhhhhh, music to the ears!

Abu a bit of a snoozer following some really fun races this year and the Bahrian circuit the last two weeks. Glad for VER having a great weekend and for Red Bull to have momentum going into the winter. 96-days to FP1 in Australia. M-B finishing 1-2 was not wholly unexpected but their lack of pace was. ALB with a good showing and a pretty solid drive today. McLaren are stoked! great way to finish the season and with the extra money they attracted they should be in a good position for the future. Ferrari? OMG what a shitshow. The team needs a re-boot, kick in the ass, match, or something else entirely. I'm hoping they regain their footing because it would be a waste of talent to whittle away the years of LEC and his talent. Lots of driver shuffle in the paddock between now and 'Lights Out' and I'm all in for it.

It's really a shame the season has to end at Yas Marina. Horrible, horrible track for racing. Absolute snoozefest today. Driver of the day should have been Ricciardo. Great first stint from him and fastest lap to boot! Congrats to McLaren on P3, that's quite a triumph considering where they've come from lately. Obviously losing those 15 points really hurt Racing Point, but McLaren are rewarded for quite a consistent season.

Really looking forward to next year. Lots of interesting storylines with new drivers, old faces in new seats (or old seats in the case of Alonso), and a Mercedes powered McLaren. I'm hoping, since the cars won't be changing all that much between 2020 and 2021, that Red Bull's pace relative to Mercedes will be closer at the start of the season. I'm not holding my breath though.

We'll discuss Red Bull's decision on Albon's seat for 2021 here shortly. All signs seem to point to Perez, but we'll see.

Yeah this track is just awful. That stupid first sector spreads the cars out so much due to aero wash that the DRS straights after are kind of pointless unless the 2 cars are on vastly different tires. The early safety car ruined the race too because it meant everyone jumped on the same hard tire strategy.

Yeah really really impressive by McLaren to finish P3 in the standings when you look at how bad they were during the Alonso era and how far they've come. Not to take anything away from Racing Point who also had a solid season considering their penalty and losing Perez and Stroll for 3 races.

I'm not really looking forward to the racing in 2021 as it's going to be more of the same unfortunately. But it'll be need to see some of the new driver pairings at least and of course Schumacher making his debut. Can't wait to see the shakeup in 2022.

I'm still thinking that the second Red Bull seat will go to Albon. Seems the Red Bull management were just dangling the Perez carrot to spur him on. Perez seems confident about getting a 2022 seat though.

The Alpha Tauri lineup should be confirmed soon too but I'm certain they will announce Gasly and Tsunoda. Shame for Kyvat as he was finally coming into his own.

I don't think they would broadcast it unless it's on Sky Sports, which we don't get in the US. Even as a big F1 fan, I find testing only to be interesting in the winter because it gives us a chance to see the new cars for the first time. This end-of-season testing really only has the new drivers to point to, and even then it's mostly inconsequential.

I bet Stoffel was getting PTSD from seeing Alonso ahead of him again though LOL

I have an F1TV Pro subscription and they weren't broadcasting even the pre-season testing (just daily highlights). But I do have Sky F1 on my streaming box and they do have live coverage of testing. I didn't pay much attention to this test, however one point which stood out to me was that Alonso's quickest lap was faster than both Ocon and Ricciardo's best qualifying lap. Different ambient conditions and some track evolution of course, but impressive nonetheless.

Good for Perez to bag the Red Bull seat. After his performances this year, he deserved a spot on the grid. I think he'll be able to push Verstappen harder than Albon has been. Sucks for Albon but he's been too inconsistent and since it's only a 1 year deal for Perez, they could still go back with him for 2022 while he stays on as a test driver.
  • Like 1

Good for Perez to bag the Red Bull seat. After his performances this year, he deserved a spot on the grid. I think he'll be able to push Verstappen harder than Albon has been. Sucks for Albon but he's been too inconsistent and since it's only a 1 year deal for Perez, they could still go back with him for 2022 while he stays on as a test driver.

Yep, well said and pretty much my thoughts.

I am very excited to see how Perez performs with RBR and I hope he and Max can put more pressure on Mercedes. They're the second-fastest car on the grid and with two competitive drivers, there's a glimmer of hope.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...