• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blues Cancel Practices Due To Multiple Positive Covid 19 Tests

Scott

Good, just shut it all down. I honestly don't understand the point in finishing this season when it would already be the offseason. Preseason games would be in 2 months. Why can't we just wait? We're going to risk everyone's health to unnecessarily finish this season and then destroy the timing of the next few? So dumb.
  • Like 1

Good, just shut it all down. I honestly don't understand the point in finishing this season when it would already be the offseason. Preseason games would be in 2 months. Why can't we just wait? We're going to risk everyone's health to unnecessarily finish this season and then destroy the timing of the next few? So dumb.

This. 100%. Couldn?t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Great post.

Obviously need to salvage some TV revenue.

Some teams and league may fold if there's a 2nd wave.

Exactly this. It's easy to say "What's the point of trying?" but there are so many moving parts here and exchanges of money that need to occur for the league to run properly. The NHL isn't the NBA where they can afford a $150M staycation in Disney World including a shitload of useless amenities to keep the players "happy." The NHL quite frankly needs the money. There's a certain amount of liquidity that doesn't exist and if teams/players don't get paid this becomes even more problematic. Bonuses were still paid out a few days ago. Future contracts are still being upheld. This upcoming playoff is 90% about the revenue and 10% about finding an actual Stanley Cup winner. If they can accomplish it as safely as they can then I have no problem with it. I might not fully agree with it but I'd also rather not see the NHL potentially damaged by the financial consequences. Some of you will argue until you're blue about the virus' effect on "regular people" but here we have an industry that is trying hard to stay afloat too. Sure, many involved are millionaires, but the NHL affects and puts money into pockets of way more people than owners, players, and coaches.

Yeah, that's super. Nobody seemed to give a shit about Bill's Excavation when he got shut down, but now I'm supposed to give a fuck about these clowns?

People that plead their "Please think of me" stories on SM to their millions of followers three days before cashing a 12 million dollar bonus cheque? Nah.

Yeah, that's super. Nobody seemed to give a shit about Bill's Excavation when he got shut down, but now I'm supposed to give a fuck about these clowns?

People that plead their "Please think of me" stories on SM to their millions of followers three days before cashing a 12 million dollar bonus cheque? Nah.

Pretty much emphasizing my final point.

Yeah, salvage some TV money at the expense of turning the league, and SCP, in to a complete farce. It's the 4th of July and they can't keep a practice facility open. They're fully prepared to ruin 3 NHL seasons in an attempt to ham fist a finish to this one.

All from the same people that made a farce of the Canada Cup and ruined that beyond repair. Not surprising, really. They've never ever, ever had one iota of thought for the integrity of the game of hockey. It doesn't even enter their thought process.

Yeah, salvage some TV money at the expense of turning the league, and SCP, in to a complete farce. It's the 4th of July and they can't keep a practice facility open. They're fully prepared to ruin 3 NHL seasons in an attempt to ham fist a finish to this one.

All from the same people that made a farce of the Canada Cup and ruined that beyond repair. Not surprising, really. They've never ever, ever had one iota of thought for the integrity of the game of hockey. It doesn't even enter their thought process.

The Stanley Cup has been played for in various formats across its existence. The NHL has played in various formats over its existence, and even over the last two decades. Oh no! Tradition!

The Blues are in charge of their own practice facility. It was briefly open to the public for a day. That's dumb given circumstances.

Those NHL seasons that you said are potentially "ruined" would be further ruined without this playoff. Then you'd have a delay on top of a lowered salary cap, possibly even lower without the TV revenue that's added by the playoffs. Players would continue to battle escrow. Just not a pretty sight financially. But yeah tell me how it's pointless.

I don’t think it’s a complete farce. It’s definitely a bastardized version of the standard.

That said, a restart is stupid. They’re just asking for more cases. Putting financial concerns in front of public health.

This shit is real. There’s nearly 3 million cases and 125,000 dead bodies to prove it

And money is something you kind of need to make a very large industry work.

Yet they somehow threw away an entire season over a labor dispute literally a pissing contest in 04-05 and survived. So I'm thinking a world wide pandemic would somehow be something they could also overcome. Easily, maybe not but there's a whole lot of more important things than this right now and it reeks of greed. Plus at the rate they're going the odds of them even pulling it off are getting slimmer by the week if they're already having to shut down a camp.

Yet they somehow threw away an entire season over a labor dispute literally a pissing contest in 04-05 and survived. So I'm thinking a world wide pandemic would somehow be something they could also overcome. Easily, maybe not but there's a whole lot of more important things than this right now and it reeks of greed. Plus at the rate they're going the odds of them even pulling it off are getting slimmer by the week if they're already having to shut down a camp.

Contracts aren’t paid during a lockout. There are deals that don’t occur. Similar but not the same.

I never said it was pointless, the point is obvious. Money. That's the entire point. That's the only point.
it's crazy to me how in one thread you are saying "the world needs to go back to normal" and in this thread you are saying "why are they trying to act like everything is normal..."?

I actually don't agree with what the NHL is trying to do here. But it's pretty obvious they see a need for a revenue, pretty obvious that some teams will not be able to financially sustain a second wave in November without a playoff today.

if you're cool with having the entire league fold because you personally don't miss sports anymore, I get it. But you can't burn the candle at both ends.

For God's sake, close it down. With a four and half month break -- much longer than a break between seasons -- this unthethered void of a tournament bears no relationship to the 2019-20 season and will be played in the atmosphere of a midnight beer league. Now, it will be played with a chunk of difference making players excluded because they are asymptomatic Covid positive. If they are that anxious for revenue, start the 2020-21 season a couple of weeks early.

I wouldn't mind serious damage being done to the NHL and a restart to the hockey business with a little less in the way of long term contracts, free agency, and arbitration rights before players are shaving.

You know what will happen is the Rangers will win the 1st round and then it gets shut down, costing them a chance at the Cup and a chance at #1.

I can't believe they are going to throw next season completely off the rails just to have a low percentage chance of actually playing this half-measure playoff bracket to completion. Cancel it now and hold the draft at the end of July with free agency on August 1st. Then you've only lost a month from all these shenanigans and can still start on time for next season in October.

• Like 1

Agree that at this point, WTF? I don't want to see 'partial' teams or call-ups to fill out the bench (if that's even possible.) Figure out the money as so many of us have had to do so ourselves -- either through our companies or our jobs. (Elsewhere: MLS was making preparations to resume in Florida soon but COVID testing has impinged some team's plans. On the world stage, Euro soccer has returned to La Liga and Premier League and F1 is ready to race tomorrow (9AM ESPN) in Austria for the first of two back-to-back weekends of racing at the same track.)

Europe has been much better at managing their outbreaks of late. The US? Not so much and because of that, our sports leagues are at risk of not playing.