• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Cut Over $34 Million in Checks Today

Signing bonuses were apparently cut today, and the Rangers just signed over some hefty paychecks.

Panarin got a cool 12 million today.

Trouba and Kreider got 8M apiece.

Mika got 2.5M,

Hank, Staal, and Smith each got 1M

Buchie got 500k,

Kakko, Lindgren, Fox, and Shesterkin all got 92.5K

Implications elsewise?

Marc Staal is now owed just 3.2 million in salary this year, making his cap hit 2.5M higher than his owed salary.

Brendan Smith is now owed just 2.3 million in salary this year, making his cap hit 2M higher than his owed salary.

Henrik Lundqvist is now owed 4.5 million in salary this year, making his cap hit 4M higher than his owed salary.

All three have NMC/NTC(10 teams for Smith)

I've told this story before...

My 8th grade math teacher's brother cut the checks for Rangers players back in 1976 or so. My math teacher had a couple of hockey sticks in his classroom closet - that's how we struck up a conversation with this 'Marine Sargent' looking guy. One was a goalie stick for sure. He gave me and my dad impromptu tix to his 'red' seats at center ice one day as I came into class for that night's game - man were we psyched! A few years later that same guy became my hockey coach. He was ejected from games for arguing with the refs and my dad would walk over from the stands and go behind the bench for the 3rd period. LOL

PS - Another odd thing about him. Years later when I became a teacher in the district I ran into him at one of the 'end-of-year' retirement luncheons. He showed me a wad of un-cashed school district paychecks that he kept in his wallet to "fuck with the bookkeepers.' He was a pisser.