• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Amazon Buys Naming Rights to Seattle's NHL Arena; Will Be Called Climate Pledge Arena

Phil

how is amazon one of the biggest polluters?

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/05/25/amazon-carbon-footprint-analysis-cbs/

SEATTLE (CBS News) — Amazon shareholders this week defeated a proposal to wean the company off fossil fuels. But the proposal raised a long-debated question: How much climate pollution does Amazon create, anyway?

Unlike most of its peers, Amazon keeps its carbon footprint figures hidden. In February, the company promised to disclose its carbon emissions figures this year although it declined last week to elaborate on its timeline to CBS News.

Environmental groups, however, say Amazon’s impact is significant, thanks to the company’s enormous size and complexity. Amazon is the fifth-largest U.S. company, with significant operations in retail, logistics, entertainment and cloud computing — which, activists say, is Amazon’s most polluting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-prime-day-one-day-shipping-has-a-huge-carbon-footprint/

How free one-day shipping is heating up the planet

The rush toward ever-faster shipping is creating the need for more truck trips, undoing the ecological benefits of shopping online.

Amazon's package deliveries in 2017 alone emitted about 19 million metric tons of carbon, according to one estimate. "That's just under five coal power plants," one expert said.

on the flipside, Bezos had donated a lot of money to address climate change. I'm just not sure that 1, it's anywhere near enough to replace the damage theyre doing and 2, it isnt just some PR move

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/05/25/amazon-carbon-footprint-analysis-cbs/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-prime-day-one-day-shipping-has-a-huge-carbon-footprint/

on the flipside, Bezos had donated a lot of money to address climate change. I'm just not sure that 1, it's anywhere near enough to replace the damage theyre doing and 2, it isnt just some PR move

eh...i'd blame the consumers, not amazon. its easy to point the finger at amazon but they're not doing anything we as consumers aren't asking amazon to do. and don't forget not to call for domino's or BestBuy for delivery of your next TV set. Invest in a pushcart and new heavy duty sneakers. But don't order them online, walk to your closest Nike warehouse.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd take a swing at Amazon being one of the worst polluters in the USA. The sheer amount of plastic and cardboard they use that must be astronomical, let alone the pollution from trucks.

This was such a slam dunk thing with Seattle based companies too:

Amazon Arena would almost assuredly have been nicknamed "The Jungle. Boeing? The Hangar. Starbucks? The Brewery.

I'm officially wondering if the team will be called the Seattle Prime.

eh...i'd blame the consumers, not amazon. its easy to point the finger at amazon but they're not doing anything we as consumers aren't asking amazon to do. and don't forget not to call for domino's or BestBuy for delivery of your next TV set. Invest in a pushcart and new heavy duty sneakers. But don't order them online, walk to your closest Nike warehouse.

I know old topic, just catching up on some stuff I haven't gotten to yet. With that said, and please don't take this as defending Amazon, I agree a lot of it comes down to consumers as well. I, for one, recycle every cardboard box and every piece of plastic packing bubbles that arrives to my house. And I get a lot, my damn wife lives on Amazon lol. It is up to the end user to be responsible enough to recycle those objects. In my area Amazon also splits their shipping between USPS, UPS, FedEx, and their own shipping vehicles so it is not as if they're adding that much more street traffic/carbon to the air. 3/4 of those delivery vehicles would be out on the roads anyway. I have absolutely no defense for Amazon factories though. If they suck they suck.