• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Amazon Buys Naming Rights to Seattle's NHL Arena; Will Be Called Climate Pledge Arena

Phil

Amazon Arena. Right there for the taking.

"Why don't we call it something everyone will hate instead?"

"FANTASTIC!"

Or something around prime. This name is a self-serving as it gets, especially when their climate pledges BS.

Bezos is so conscientious of the environment! But wait:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-bill-gates-jeff-bezos-tech-billionaire-wildest-purchases-2019-10#the-richest-person-in-the-world-amazon-founder-jeff-bezos-spent-65-million-on-a-private-jet-1

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, officially named the richest person in the world earlier this year, spent $65 million on a Gulfstream G650ER — a private jet that seats eight people. Last year, the jet made many flights to Washington, DC, which ended up being a clue to the new Amazon headquarters.

The pledge must be just for us simple pedestrians not to use any paper, and oh yeah, no problems supporting 31 teams flying around the country for 8 months out of the year to play a game.

There's other ways to support the mission without a hypocritical name in order to virtue signal.

Bezos is so conscientious of the environment! But wait:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-bill-gates-jeff-bezos-tech-billionaire-wildest-purchases-2019-10#the-richest-person-in-the-world-amazon-founder-jeff-bezos-spent-65-million-on-a-private-jet-1

The pledge must be just for us simple pedestrians not to use any paper, and oh yeah, no problems supporting 31 teams flying around the country for 8 months out of the year to play a game.

There's other ways to support the mission without a hypocritical name in order to virtue signal.

I'd take a swing at Amazon being one of the worst polluters in the USA. The sheer amount of plastic and cardboard they use that must be astronomical, let alone the pollution from trucks.

This was such a slam dunk thing with Seattle based companies too:

Amazon Arena would almost assuredly have been nicknamed "The Jungle. Boeing? The Hangar. Starbucks? The Brewery.

I'm officially wondering if the team will be called the Seattle Prime.

I'd take a swing at Amazon being one of the worst polluters in the USA. The sheer amount of plastic and cardboard they use that must be astronomical, let alone the pollution from trucks.

This was such a slam dunk thing with Seattle based companies too:

Amazon Arena would almost assuredly have been nicknamed "The Jungle. Boeing? The Hangar. Starbucks? The Brewery.

I'm officially wondering if the team will be called the Seattle Prime.

Seattle Recylops

I know, right? I, for one, can't wait to see the Rangers take the ice at "Preparation H Arena."

I get it that there's no news to talk about but getting upset about an arena advertisement is early 2000s energy. It's just flat out bad business not to have a company pay you millions of dollars to name your arena. We also live in a world where Little Caesars Pizza owns naming rights and so does Tony the Tiger (a fictional cereal character). "Climate Pledge" seems fairly tame compared to the overt advertising we see pretty much everywhere else.

I get it that there's no news to talk about but getting upset about an arena advertisement is early 2000s energy. It's just flat out bad business not to have a company pay you millions of dollars to name your arena. We also live in a world where Little Caesars Pizza owns naming rights and so does Tony the Tiger (a fictional cereal character). "Climate Pledge" seems fairly tame compared to the overt advertising we see pretty much everywhere else.

I'm not upset at all. I thank them for going with such a silly name. I think it's hilarious.

Isn't this just a flaccid attempt at calming down the locals?

Quite a bit of contention around Amazon and their presence in the city from what I can gather.

idk how much money they spent on the naming rights but maybe they should have used that money to, idk, actually address climate change? or use it towards their own practices as a company considering they are among the worlds biggest polluters.

they do donate a bunch of money towards addressing climate change. But then literally keep polluting the world. Considering they are such a shitty company, I will never believe its anything more than PR for them

idk how much money they spent on the naming rights but maybe they should have used that money to, idk, actually address climate change? or use it towards their own practices as a company considering they are among the worlds biggest polluters.

they do donate a bunch of money towards addressing climate change. But then literally keep polluting the world. Considering they are such a shitty company, I will never believe its anything more than PR for them

how is amazon one of the biggest polluters?