• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NYR Classic Rewind: '94 Stanley Cup

Without much in the way of current sports to watch while on the treadmill, MSG has sucked me in to the '94 Cup run. Did Essa score in the waning minutes of the third period v. Canucks in game 4 - and not have the goal reviewed?? JD seemed pretty convinced it went in while Sam was doubtful. There was one camera angle that seemed to show the puck hitting the top of the net but other angles appeared to show the puck hitting the cross-bar and post. No matter though, Leetch scored the empty-netter on a full rink back-hand clearing play in the waning seconds. I find myself smiling or fretting at various times watching these games even knowing the outcome. LGR!

PS - Richter was a cat on a hot roof at times and steady as a rock at others making 'blasts' appear to be simple saves. Gilbert? I forgot about him and his propensity to shoot the puck on net. Zubov would be a godsend on today's team. Leetch too of course.

Just wondering if anyone else is watching any of these games to pass the time?

Let us use this to create a new generation of potential Rangers legends. A playoff series win would be beneficial for this team. One step at a time.

Keep the course!

First of all, you can NEVER be sick of '94. I understand that some of you were still "swimming in the stream" but for those of us old enough to see the win, WE had suffered a lifetime of near-misses and losses. 1994 is a great year.

That said, rangers02 is aspirationally right on point. Let's begin a new group of winners and hopefully, Champions! Yes, let's have a miracle year this year and start the ball rolling.

You guys poo pooing what happened in 94 in the guise of, "give me new memories" need to get your fucking head checked. For those of us that lived through it (I was 10 and I don't remember everything, but I remember enough and I fucking cry when I see anything relating to 1994 including the "1940" chants), it was the most amazing thing that's ever happened to a Rangers fan.

Yeah, it happened 26 years ago. Go find another bowl of cheerios to piss in, this one's untouchable.

You guys poo pooing what happened in 94 in the guise of, "give me new memories" need to get your fucking head checked. For those of us that lived through it (I was 10 and I don't remember everything, but I remember enough and I fucking cry when I see anything relating to 1994 including the "1940" chants), it was the most amazing thing that's ever happened to a Rangers fan.

Yeah, it happened 26 years ago. Go find another bowl of cheerios to piss in, this one's untouchable.

All of this^^^

It was fucking awesome. I turned 21 a week after game 7, but still tied a good one on during the parade. It?s was ridiculously hot that day, but man I wouldn?t have missed it for anything.

I was at the guarantee game in Jersey... but that parade is a memory I?ll never let go of..

@Flynn - the Messiah-game has to be one of the greatest moments in sports history. Happy for you to be able to re-live it in your head any time you want.

That ticket stub is safely tucked away. I?d give my left nut to get it signed by Messier.

It's a bit of both.

I was 17 years old at the time, and it's undoubtedly the greatest sporting moment of my life. The way they won it couldn't have been scripted any better. Each game was like its own book, particularly the NJ series. And the final, where they looked like they were going to moonwalk to the cup before losing their way at 3-1 and proceed to get killed in two straight games to set up game 7 was just incredible. I think one of the greatest memories of all was when the players took the ice for game 7. MSG was a complete shambles, and I remember a close up of Adam Graves skating around the ice and looking up to the rafters to the deafening chants of "we want the cup". I mean the absolute stones on those guys to go out there and get it done. They deserve all the credit in the world.

But. I get the idea that it's time to move on a bit. The yearly hoo haa is a little bit much, and in some ways underpin the notion that this is a franchise that struggle to win and do things right.

On the Rangers' Instagram they've had some players come on and say some things about the team, so that was neat. I get that '94 was big for this franchise, so I'm not going to shit all over a time where my favorite team was successful. But, I do wish they would at least move on a little bit in the sense that they are seemingly doing something every year to honor the team. It's a bit much when the team is really making a push at being a contender and building a successful foundation for some (hopefully) long term success. Do some more features on these guys, do some more things with JD who is now back in the fold here. There's so much more they could do, especially during the summer months without being the '94 team to the forefront.

On the Rangers' Instagram they've had some players come on and say some things about the team, so that was neat. I get that '94 was big for this franchise, so I'm not going to shit all over a time where my favorite team was successful. But, I do wish they would at least move on a little bit in the sense that they are seemingly doing something every year to honor the team. It's a bit much when the team is really making a push at being a contender and building a successful foundation for some (hopefully) long term success. Do some more features on these guys, do some more things with JD who is now back in the fold here. There's so much more they could do, especially during the summer months without being the '94 team to the forefront.

I wish we had more to honor..

2 cups in 80 years

3 Finals losses in past 49 years

7 Division titles in 92 years

Sadly, its slim picking when it comes to teams to celebrate....

It’s really sad that they don’t have more to hang their hats on, for an O6 franchise.

I get uncomfortable sometimes when people talk up 94.

But hopefully better days are ahead