• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How the Jacob Trouba Partner Search Could Play Out

Phil

Q: The Rangers? biggest need is for a partner to play with Jacob Trouba. Would you trade a defenseman like K?Andre Miller and maybe a draft pick for Jonas Brodin, who was supposedly available at the deadline? ? Gerald S.

A: And here I thought Rangerstown was all-in on the rebuild. It would be folly to trade for Brodin, who would fill the top spot on the left side brilliantly but who will be entering the final year of his contract at a $4,166,667 cap hit en route to unrestricted free agency. The Rangers are not in the ?one player away? mode that would justify trading a prospect with Miller?s upside for a one-season rental. (Do you expect the Blueshirts would be in position to sign the soon-to-be 27-year-old Swede to a long-term extension for an expected going price of $7.5 million?)

Brendan Smith impressed everyone with the way he played as Trouba?s partner in the nine games that followed Brady Skjei?s trade to Carolina, but that?s not likely a long-term pairing. Libor Hajek, still just 22, will get a shot to compete for the job (maybe even as soon as next month). So, in time, will Miller.

But David Quinn also has the option of splitting the Ryan Lindgren-Adam Fox tandem and moving Lindgren up to Trouba?s left if the team can find a compatible partner for Fox.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/09/rangers-mailbag-no-quick-fix-to-jacob-trouba-partner-search/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

"Smith impressed" who?

After his contract is finally up, Brendan has a future in reality TV on "Survivor." Given that he's still around now, I guess I shouldn't be surprised if Lias ends up playing 1,000 games for the Rangers and getting a silver stick.

They should wait.

He definitely needs a partner to play with and it’s not likely that that partner is in the room currently unless they’re moving Fox or ADA to the left side which they seem very unlikely to do.

That said, good chance of that partner being in the organization currently. They should have a clearer idea on their crop of young D coming and what those guys will shake out into as players much more so in the next 12-18 months or so.

They have DROVES of young D right now. A large number of which are LH too. Best to see what’s what with them at NHL level then rush it if it’s not needed.

As the article states, they aren’t “one player away” right now. And trading a premium prospect isn’t something they need to be doing just yet. Even though I think that in the near future they’ll reach a day where it’s wise to deal a prospect or young player for a veteran who helps them right now and in a big way, that day is still down the road a way.

They can ride it out a while longer. They will have a lot of cap space after next season to add a body like what we are discussing now. They’ll have the dollars and cap space to do it in free agency if needs be. Or they can do it via trade. Certainly will have assets to do it and space to add that player in payroll if there’s an existing contract that they’d be taking on via trade.

• Like 1

Deangelo. Problem solved.

Depends what the contract is, honestly.

A main reason why I suggested doing this from the start of the season was to see what DeAngelo would do against top lines. This year, he was very successful playing against mostly depth players. It's a lot different when you are trying to produce while also playing against opponents' top lines. NOW, if you pay Tony like he's a #2 or #3 Dman on the team, he needs to play that role.

I like the look of that, but those two pairings will ned to eat a lot of ice time as the resulting 3rd pair is likely to be hideous.

deAngelo - Fox didnt play a single second of PK time for the first half of the season.

Compare that to Pionk getting the most PK minutes for the Rangers for a long stretch last season.

Just to put their defensive abilities into perspective

deAngelo - Fox didnt play a single second of PK time for the first half of the season.

Compare that to Pionk getting the most PK minutes for the Rangers for a long stretch last season.

Just to put their defensive abilities into perspective

I understand that. My point is you?d expect Trouba/Lindgren to draw the toughest assignments. Fox and Tony is an exciting offensively minded pairing. Whatever you can put together based on Staal + 1 is likely to be a net negative, and you?d imagine their ice time would have to be limited.

A main reason why I suggested doing this from the start of the season was to see what DeAngelo would do against top lines. This year, he was very successful playing against mostly depth players. It's a lot different when you are trying to produce while also playing against opponents' top lines. NOW, if you pay Tony like he's a #2 or #3 Dman on the team, he needs to play that role.

They may never get the level of D from him to get him to play the way you’re describing

The offense will likely be there. But as you said, as he plays more minutes and does so vs better players, that could lessen his offensive output too.

I honestly think his offensive game is that good that he needs to see more ice and he can be dangerous enough for other teams to line match so that they are changing THEIR game plan. Deangelo out there with Trouba is a really good balance. It could even reign DeAngelo in on the defensive side.