• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will "Listen to Science" and Medical Professionals Regarding Kakko

Phil

I wonder if they can get him into a full face shield if he does opt to play, just to be extra careful.

I'm not sure if that offers enough additional covid-protection - at the compromise of breathing ability and vision, which could make him more vulnerable to on-ice injuries.

is this referring to injuries that Patrick had or is it calling Kakko a bust already?

if its the latter, just s reminder that Tyler Seguin only had 22 points his rookie year playing on a cup winning team

Tyler Seguin can skate, and he can shoot.

Kakko can't do either, right now.

I don't think that's what Pete is implying. Seguin may have gotten similar ice time and production to Kakko, but he had a skill set that allowed him to develop faster. It's why the Svechnikov comparison for Kakko doesn't work either. Seguin and Svechnikov were both known as better skaters and better shooters, Svechnikov especially. Kakko has never had their footspeed or ability to shoot. His game has been built off of vision and patience neither of which he's been able to use quite effectively yet. Adding more speed and a better shot would make him more of a threat. His game is currently quite predictable and easy to defend.

There’s no shortage of guys who’ve come into the league, especially as teenagers, with issues surrounding their skating and shooting.

It absolutely needs to be addressed and improved.

The good news is that it absolutely can be. And there’s no reason not to believe that it will be

I don't think that's what Pete is implying. Seguin may have gotten similar ice time and production to Kakko, but he had a skill set that allowed him to develop faster. It's why the Svechnikov comparison for Kakko doesn't work either. Seguin and Svechnikov were both known as better skaters and better shooters, Svechnikov especially. Kakko has never had their footspeed or ability to shoot. His game has been built off of vision and patience neither of which he's been able to use quite effectively yet. Adding more speed and a better shot would make him more of a threat. His game is currently quite predictable and easy to defend.

I see his skillset more like Jagr than Seguin or Svetchnikov. Jagr was never a great skater, nor was he a great shooter either. I remember him saying he didn't even know what a slapshot was until he got to NA.

• 2 weeks later...

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/kaapo-kakko-gets-the-ok-to-join-rangers-camp/

Kaapo Kakko’s doctors and the Rangers’ medical experts are in agreement that it is safe at this time for the 19-year-old Finn to join the team’s projected summer training camp despite the fact he is a type-1 diabetic who might be susceptible to serious complications if he contracts COVID-19.