Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump to Sign Executive Order Threatening Social Media Giants Over Political Bias

rebuilding Junior Division
    Whenever Trump's poll numbers are tanking or he's getting push-back on policy, you can count on an outrageous distraction.
    LGBTQ in military, hormone treatment
    Fake news, the media
    Hydroxychloroquine
    Number of people at rallies
    Not wearing a mask
    Liberate Michigan

It's an opportunity to stir up outrage, which fuels his base.

By opposition focusing on minutiae, it distracts away from the more substantive policies he's pursuing or has put in place.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Words: Media is biased against conservatives
    Meaning: No actual research supports my claim, but it's beneficial to me to make the claim, so I'll blame a boogeyman.

If social media has any bias, it's probably against centrists or centrism. We've seen enough - objectively, anecdotally, quantitatively, scientific - to know that social media has enhanced polarized views and benefitted both sides. Trump doesn't win 2016 without Twitter, and AOC basically won her seat on Twitter too.

Most research I've been able to find suggests that there's relative equality between left leaning and right leaning content (a difference of 1% or so in total engagement). What probably doesn't get shared is the boring, scholarly, factual and need-to-know stuff that comes out from somewhere in between.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    It's the fundamental misunderstanding between freedom of speech and freedom from the consequences of freedom of speech. A bakery can refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding, but they can't get pissed when half the town is boycotting them because of that decision.

Twitter, Facebook, etc are as much news sources as they are private companies. If they want to enforce that folks can't lie to millions of people on their platform, they're within their rights.

As for the whole "conservative/liberal bias" thing, it's time to just call it what it is - conservatism today isn't conservatism even 10 years ago. It's become a vile, nihilistic, ascientific, selfish cult of ignorance, rife with faux patriotism and doublespeak about what they're actually wanting.

They're feeling unfairly hit by the media/social media not because they are, but because the reaction is actually commensurate with the action provoking it. Oh no, we banned the....neo-nazi white supremacists? Thats...bad?
    I just wanted to seize on the bold here. It's not acceptable to label conservatism as a "vile... selfish cult of ignorance". The same wouldn't be acceptable if liberalism was labeled as a "pathetic, androgynous, murderous cult of 'wokeness'".

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Bantam Division
    You won't need to wait a few months for that to happen, maybe a few hours if that.
    Last edited by jsrangers; 05-29-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Making this post here as 1) I think it applies to this thread, and 2) I don't want to litter the DeAngelo podcast thread in the Rangers subforum with political debate.

Once I saw that Tony DeAngelo tweet that he is starting a podcast, I instantly thought "not a good idea". Naturally, I assumed politics and Trump talk would probably make it's way in. Why was this my reaction? Not because I don't think he should be able to. It's because of the way things are on social media platforms and how it can threaten jobs. If DeAngelo was a pro-Biden liberal, what would our first reaction be? Would we have any? Would we think his job might be threatened if he talked about why he liked Biden on his podcast? Do we think the Rangers would face "heat"?

Twitterverse et. al in general encourage professional athletes to use and leverage their celebrity status and platform to express their opinions, except when it disagrees with the majority Twitter base that exists.

I think Phil highlighted a good point. Don't like it, create your own social media platform. I don't like the message that is sent by this order that Trump signed. I think we all know he has probably signed it, first and foremost, for selfish reasons. And secondly, to cater to his base. But it doesn't mean the social media bias and stigma against conservatives doesn't exist on those platforms.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Making this post here as 1) I think it applies to this thread, and 2) I don't want to litter the DeAngelo podcast thread in the Rangers subforum with political debate.

Once I saw that Tony DeAngelo tweet that he is starting a podcast, I instantly thought "not a good idea". Naturally, I assumed politics and Trump talk would probably make it's way in. Why was this my reaction? Not because I don't think he should be able to. It's because of the way things are on social media platforms and how it can threaten jobs. If DeAngelo was a pro-Biden liberal, what would our first reaction be? Would we have any? Would we think his job might be threatened if he talked about why he liked Biden on his podcast? Do we think the Rangers would face "heat"?

Twitterverse et. al in general encourage professional athletes to use and leverage their celebrity status and platform to express their opinions, except when it disagrees with the majority Twitter base that exists.

I think Phil highlighted a good point. Don't like it, create your own social media platform. I don't like the message that is sent by this order that Trump signed. I think we all know he has probably signed it, first and foremost, for selfish reasons. And secondly, to cater to his base. But it doesn't mean the social media bias and stigma against conservatives doesn't exist on those platforms.
    I'm in agreement with a good deal of what you've said here, with one caveat - and it's an important one.

Most studies suggest that social media has no bias toward left or right, rather, it has a bias toward polarization - that's to say the further you get from the most centrally located viewpoint, the more likely it is that it gets shared. However, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc have something else going for them - extremely lax rules and an extremely low barrier to entry. It's ostensibly the "free market" of information - the best or most popular - or most controversial - media get the most play.

If it's the perception that conservatives are biased against on social media, there are two extremely realistic, ready explanations. The first is really simple - in an unchecked, non-gerrymandered, everyone votes democracy, conservative ideas are not as popular. That's very true - it's been a longstanding GOP note that the more people that can vote, the less likely they win. The second is a smidge more complex - one is just way more likely to see their social media in two spheres - what's curated, and what's popular. When those don't agree, it creates cognitive dissonance, doubly so because one can curate the rest of their world in a similar way.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I'm in agreement with a good deal of what you've said here, with one caveat - and it's an important one.

Most studies suggest that social media has no bias toward left or right, rather, it has a bias toward polarization - that's to say the further you get from the most centrally located viewpoint, the more likely it is that it gets shared. However, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc have something else going for them - extremely lax rules and an extremely low barrier to entry. It's ostensibly the "free market" of information - the best or most popular - or most controversial - media get the most play.

If it's the perception that conservatives are biased against on social media, there are two extremely realistic, ready explanations. The first is really simple - in an unchecked, non-gerrymandered, everyone votes democracy, conservative ideas are not as popular. That's very true - it's been a longstanding GOP note that the more people that can vote, the less likely they win. The second is a smidge more complex - one is just way more likely to see their social media in two spheres - what's curated, and what's popular. When those don't agree, it creates cognitive dissonance, doubly so because one can curate the rest of their world in a similar way.
    Conservative ideas are not as popular especially among likely social media users (younger audiences). They are very popular among likely non social media users (older audiences).

What occurs is a fundamental misunderstanding of how social media works (both in popularity and curation). It's the same one Trump is aggrieved by daily. "Why are there no positive stories about me?" Because you are not popular, and those that do exist aren't curated into the feeds of others because curation is designed to show you what you want to see, not what you don't.

It's the same reason you get served ads for the sneakers you just talked about, not a post about real estate in Romania.

"Twitter is biased!" really means "there are too many liberals on this site and it's not enjoyable for me," which is understandable. I wouldn't want to be on a site where I was constantly seeing shit I hated, either (which is why I rarely use Facebook).

Hence my earlier suggestion. Don't like it? Build your own. Free market enterprise.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Conservative ideas are not as popular especially among likely social media users (younger audiences). They are very popular among likely non social media users (older audiences).

What occurs is a fundamental misunderstanding of how social media works (both in popularity and curation). It's the same one Trump is aggrieved by daily. "Why are there no positive stories about me?" Because you are not popular, and those that do exist aren't curated into the feeds of others because curation is designed to show you what you want to see, not what you don't.

It's the same reason you get served ads for the sneakers you just talked about, not a post about real estate in Romania.

"Twitter is biased!" really means "there are too many liberals on this site and it's not enjoyable for me," which is understandable. I wouldn't want to be on a site where I was constantly seeing shit I hated, either (which is why I rarely use Facebook).

Hence my earlier suggestion. Don't like it? Build your own. Free market enterprise.
    No, it doesn't. It has to do with preaching about having an open forum for people to freely express themselves, yet applying rules differently based on groupthink.

Sure, conservatives can go build a social media platform and I'll give you that point. They should. But it does only go so far. We don't tell minorities to go find their own land and build their own country because the majority in America is white.

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Bantam Division
    Just start gaslighting.com, about 35% of those old enough to join it might and have at it, all is well.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    No, it doesn't. It has to do with preaching about having an open forum for people to freely express themselves, yet applying rules differently based on groupthink.

Sure, conservatives can go build a social media platform and I'll give you that point. They should. But it does only go so far. We don't tell minorities to go find their own land and build their own country because the majority in America is white.
    Trump would have a point of his tweets were being deleted. They're not, they're just being fact checked and flagged for terms of service violations.

Those are terms of service violations that would get most other people banned...

So remind me how Trump is a victim here?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Trump would have a point of his tweets were being deleted. They're not, they're just being fact checked and flagged for terms of service violations.

Those are terms of service violations that would get most other people banned...

So remind me how Trump is a victim here?
    Why does everything have to be grinded down to defending Trump for you? The issue still exists whether he is on it or not.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Why does everything have to be grinded down to defending Trump for you? The issue still exists whether he is on it or not.
    Probably for the same reason everything boils down to hating on liberals for you.

I gave my feelings on this and another thread, we need to stop pretending like everybody's ideas are equal and protected by free speech. That's just simply not the case. it's funny how conservatives buy into this thinking when it benefits them, otherwise there would be a lot of snowflake calling right now.

Twitter is a public forum, yet they reserve the right to curate content based on its terms of service. Hate speech and bullying are not allowed. It was showing that there was a huge social influence on the last election. Therefore they are fact checking this election. That's way more responsibility than Facebook has shown.

you have the right to hate whoever you want, but public forums don't have to let that hate have a platform. That goes beyond "free thinking".

Probably for the same reason everything boils down to hating on liberals for you.

I gave my feelings on this and another thread, we need to stop pretending like everybody's ideas are equal and protected by free speech. That's just simply not the case. it's funny how conservatives buy into this thinking when it benefits them, otherwise there would be a lot of snowflake calling right now.

Twitter is a public forum, yet they reserve the right to curate content based on its terms of service. Hate speech and bullying are not allowed. It was showing that there was a huge social influence on the last election. Therefore they are fact checking this election. That's way more responsibility than Facebook has shown.

you have the right to hate whoever you want, but public forums don't have to let that hate have a platform. That goes beyond "free thinking".
    All of this misses the point. Stick to Trump obsessing I guess.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    All of this misses the point. Stick to Trump obsessing I guess.
    This reads like you simply don't have an answer. Explain why it misses the point instead of being so dismissive. Don't invite a conversation that you're not prepared to have.

This reads like you simply don't have an answer. Explain why it misses the point instead of being so dismissive. Don't invite a conversation that you're not prepared to have.
    Your post was about applying the rules to users, as if the rules are applied equally to all users. Mine was about those rules being applied differently. Keyword differently. The rules are very open ended and left up to interpretation of those handing down judgement, hence paving the way for bias.

Again, none of that is a problem. Dorsey owns Twitter. He can run it as he pleases. He can also get called out for hypocrisy at the same time.

Great, well that's not happening, so nothing to see here.

If anything, Twitter is bending over backwards to keep flagrant rule violators — like Trump — on the platform.

Your post was about applying the rules to users, as if the rules are applied equally to all users. Mine was about those rules being applied differently. Keyword differently. The rules are very open ended and left up to interpretation of those handing down judgement, hence paving the way for bias.

Again, none of that is a problem. Dorsey owns Twitter. He can run it as he pleases. He can also get called out for hypocrisy at the same time.
    Who was it who said it would be a few hours before this zombie lie resurrected?

How many media outlets need to dig into this and come to the same conclusion for you to accept it?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/27/2...-facebook-loss

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichola.../#7f336ba1ce9e
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Just start gaslighting.com, about 35% of those old enough to join it might and have at it, all is well.
    This kind of post is dangerously close to thread-ban territory, just FYI. Ease up.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend

Thanks for expanding.

As with most of the time we don't see eye to eye. IMO, this is about one side calling "persecuted!" because they cross the line more often and don't know it.

Applying rules evenly doesn't mean out of 100 bans, 50 are from one side and 50 are from the other.

Thanks for expanding.

As with most of the time we don't see eye to eye. IMO, this is about one side calling "persecuted!" because they cross the line more often and don't know it.

Applying rules evenly doesn't mean out of 100 bans, 50 are from one side and 50 are from the other.
    Precisely. If your rules say no racism, and your site is home to neo-nazis and liberals alike, who do you presume will account for the lion's share of those bans? That's not "bias," it's playing by the rules conservatives are demanding. Balls and strikes.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast