• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Starts in Goal? (Playoff Edition)

Keirik

Listening to a bunch of hockey podcasts, There are some players taking this seriously and some players who aren't.

Some people think this should get an asterisk for various reasons, other people don't. Some people think this is a cheap way to get a cup, some people think it will be the hardest cup to win.

This is bonus hockey, imo. Just give it to Hank because it's the right thing to do. Even if they went on a heater and won a cup, nobody thinks this team is a serious cup threat under normal circumstances. Way too many holes.

Give it to Hank and let him ride off into the sunset.

The way Quinn has treated Hank has been pretty embarrassing to this point. For a team that gets a lot of credit for how they treat their players, they've put him in terrible positions and then use the losses as a reason not to play him. This three-headed goalie monster is their own doing. This is a chance for them to straighten it out.

+1 agree

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to a bunch of hockey podcasts, There are some players taking this seriously and some players who aren't.

Some people think this should get an asterisk for various reasons, other people don't. Some people think this is a cheap way to get a cup, some people think it will be the hardest cup to win.

This is bonus hockey, imo. Just give it to Hank because it's the right thing to do. Even if they went on a heater and won a cup, nobody thinks this team is a serious cup threat under normal circumstances. Way too many holes.

Give it to Hank and let him ride off into the sunset.

The way Quinn has treated Hank has been pretty embarrassing to this point. For a team that gets a lot of credit for how they treat their players, they've put him in terrible positions and then use the losses as a reason not to play him. This three-headed goalie monster is their own doing. This is a chance for them to straighten it out.

Disagree. He's the lesser of three goalies and they continue to dress him. They haven't put him in the press box once while the other two more effective goalies took turns. They gave him 2-3 chances to play elsewhere he he said no... so yes, the three-headed goalie situation is NYR's fault because they handed out that deal to Hank, but Hank knew this was coming and decided to sit the bench rather than play.

Rangers don't owe him anything other than the money they've paid him - which is an absurd amount of cash. I think they've treated him with kid gloves in a situation where they could have just said, "alright, sorry, but you're just not doing the job." And I'm sorry but losses are a reason not to play. When one goalie continues to win and the other continues to lose, you play the hot hand. This isn't "make Hank feel good tour" this is the NHL. You're paid to win games.

• Like 1

Disagree. He's the lesser of three goalies and they continue to dress him. They haven't put him in the press box once while the other two more effective goalies took turns. They gave him 2-3 chances to play elsewhere he he said no... so yes, the three-headed goalie situation is NYR's fault because they handed out that deal to Hank, but Hank knew this was coming and decided to sit the bench rather than play.

Rangers don't owe him anything other than the money they've paid him - which is an absurd amount of cash. I think they've treated him with kid gloves in a situation where they could have just said, "alright, sorry, but you're just not doing the job." And I'm sorry but losses are a reason not to play. When one goalie continues to win and the other continues to lose, you play the hot hand. This isn't "make Hank feel good tour" this is the NHL. You're paid to win games.

I was going to make these same points, but you did it for me. I'm not sure what Lundqvist's idea of "rebuild" was, but this is what happens during a rebuild. The old is replaced with the new. It should be of no surprise that a young goalie, who has been dominating everywhere he has been since we drafted him in 2014, comes in and begins to stake a claim for being the starter. This was years in the making. I'm sorry to say, but if that caught Lundqvist off guard, that's on him.

They haven't put them in the press box? I think you should check some game logs.

And there is a massive debate to be had over whether he or Geo is the more effective backup goalie.

When you keep a 38-year-old goalie on the shelf for month and then throw him in expecting him to win a game against the team that also just lit up your backup, that's bullshit.

They haven't put them in the press box? I think you should check some game logs.

And there is a massive debate to be had over whether he or Geo is the more effective backup goalie.

When you keep a 38-year-old goalie on the shelf for month and then throw him in expecting him to win a game against the team that also just lit up your backup, that's bullshit.

Lundy is as average to below for quite some time before that. It took the rookie to start carrying this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It’s not a forgone conclusion that Georgiev has surpassed Hank, in a backup role at this point.

In fact, whichever of the 2 is the backup next season is probably irrelevant in the short-term as it’s fairly likely IMO that you’d get about equivalent production from the two. That statement just applies through next season.

As for now, if we are looking at this qualifying round postseason series, and them only carrying 2 goalies, it has to be Igor and Hank for reasons already covered.

While I don’t necessarily think they should treat this series with Carolina as meaningless, they are essentially playing with house money. I think they should go with Igor. But if internally they decided to go with Hank at first, I could live with it.

They’re not making a deep run anyway, much less winning a Cup.

It really is an asterisked season that they should have canceled.

I’ll be glad to see hockey again, but honestly if you asked me playoffs or top-10 pick, I’d likely take the top-10 pick

Where are people getting this idea that Georgiev was better than Lundqvist at ANY time? They were pretty equal and Lundqvist sat on the shelf longer.

IMO you plan on using Shesterkin as the starter. The kid is the future and I'm scared of getting him annoyed. These Russian kids seem temperamental, and if they feel they are not top priority, they go back home.

Plan on Shesterkin and give him a short leash, with the staff letting him know that a HOFer who has carried this team through many playoffs is his backup, and can step right in.

Fuck it. Split the time and go with the dominant hand. Obviously telling them that that is the plan.

Lundqvist only has a few years left. Perfect stopgap.

You expect to play Georgiev and Shesterkin, together, long-term??

Georgiev didn?t outplay Lundqvist this season. Lundqvist has playoff experience. Georgiev hasn?t done enough to be ahead of Lundqvist whether it?s starter of backup, especially when we are talking playoffs.

Offseason:

Lundqvist isn?t getting you anything in return via trade.

Georgiev requires negotiations.

Keeping Georgiev around as a back up for 2 years won?t raise his value, either.

Lundqvist only has a few years left. Perfect stopgap.

You expect to play Georgiev and Shesterkin, together, long-term??

Georgiev didn’t outplay Lundqvist this season. Lundqvist has playoff experience. Georgiev hasn’t done enough to be ahead of Lundqvist whether it’s starter of backup, especially when we are talking playoffs.

Offseason:

Lundqvist isn’t getting you anything in return via trade.

Georgiev requires negotiations.

Keeping Georgiev around as a back up for 2 years won’t raise his value, either.

Yup yup yup

Georgiev isn’t here long-term either, and whomever replaces Hank as the backup, in hypothetical terms, in a years time will be cheaper than Georgiev is gonna be in 2 years.

Likely Georgiev won’t want to stay here anyway. He’s going to want a shot to start full-time somewhere before too long. And he isn’t likely to get that chance here.

1. Who will be their starting goalie?

The Rangers have three options: Henrik Lundqvist, Igor Shesterkin and Alexandar Georgiev. There is no clear favorite right now, according to president John Davidson, who said it will be a "battle" in training camp. Going with Shesterkin or Georgiev would signal a clear changing of the guard in New York, especially because Lundqvist has historically dominated the Hurricanes. He's 33-12-1 with a 2.00 goals-against average, a .934 save percentage and two shutouts in 46 games against them, including 3-0-0 with a 2.33 GAA and .947 save percentage this season. Shesterkin, a rookie, made 27 saves in a 5-2 win at Carolina on Feb. 21. Georgiev hasn't faced the Hurricanes since allowing seven goals in an 8-5 loss Oct. 7, 2018.

Link: http://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-5-questions-stanley-cup-qualifiers/c-317153706?tid=317064234

• 1 month later...

Ehh.. I've come around to giving it to Hank to start.

Lets be honest even if they beat Carolina (I genuinely think they can)- I dont see them making a deep playoff push beyond that. I know, I know.. support your team you never know what can happen in the playoffs.

Might as well give Hank a last chance at it. Guy was a star on broadway for years and hes not exactly terrible either. Igor/George will get plenty of playoff time going forward but this might be it for Hank. And if he sucks and they lose then the Rangers have a chance at Lafrieniere. Not a bad consolation prize for losing.

Or just say fuck it and rotate the three in each game of the series. Theyre all good.

Ehh.. I've come around to giving it to Hank to start.

Lets be honest even if they beat Carolina (I genuinely think they can)- I dont see them making a deep playoff push beyond that. I know, I know.. support your team you never know what can happen in the playoffs.

Might as well give Hank a last chance at it. Guy was a star on broadway for years and hes not exactly terrible either. Igor/George will get plenty of playoff time going forward but this might be it for Hank. And if he sucks and they lose then the Rangers have a chance at Lafrieniere. Not a bad consolation prize for losing.

Or just say fuck it and rotate the three in each game of the series. Theyre all good.

Only way I give it to Hank is if he agrees to publicly announce that after this season, he will be retiring. That would buy him once last run for me.

Any change of heart here or new thoughts?

Not really.

All those watching have said its been Shesterkin in practices, although Henrik came on strong at the end of the week. Usually Henrik has been splitting a net with Georgiev, but not the last 2 practices (No Geo - working with other group, I think). Lundqvist was the first one on the ice for practice today.

Only way I give it to Hank is if he agrees to publicly announce that after this season, he will be retiring. That would buy him once last run for me.

That’s my thinking. I’d give it to him with the idea that he can retire at the end or be bought out. Being given the playoff start softens that blow if it came to buying him out.

All aboard team Hank. One last time.

higher cap hit

buyout = $5.5m cap hit

retirement = $3m (cap recapture)

mutual agreement to terminate contract: $0?

Eh im not usually one for sentiment when it comes to aging vets and all that but Hank is the greatest Rangers goalie of all time and hes still playable. Retirement would be the best case scenario but who knows if hes even thinking about it.

I get it though- hes not ultimately the best choice so I wont be surprised when they choose Igor.