• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Starts in Goal? (Playoff Edition)

Keirik

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henke doesn’t need a shot at anything. He’s had his shots for the last 15 years. The youngsters need to get their shots

Igor is their best goalie

They’re playing their best goalie

Winners! :thumbs:

They can always go to Hank is Igor falters or if hypothetically they need a spark.

You would have to go to Hank in Game 2, if Igor shits the bed in Game 1.

You can't let Igor lose two games in a row and turn to Hank in an elimination game.

What I'm saying is...Whoever gets the nod, it's their series to lose. That's the only reason I think Hank has a shot. This is really just bonus hockey. There's not a real chance they are coming out of a 24 team playoff to win the Cup, even with Shesterkin. They lack the depth for 16 teams, nevermind 24.

You would have to go to Hank in Game 2, if Igor shits the bed in Game 1.

You can't let Igor lose two games in a row and turn to Hank in an elimination game.

What I'm saying is...Whoever gets the nod, it's their series to lose. That's the only reason I think Hank has a shot. This is really just bonus hockey. There's not a real chance they are coming out of a 24 team playoff to win the Cup, even with Shesterkin. They lack the depth for 16 teams, nevermind 24.

I totally agree with that and that was basically the scenario I was getting at.

I could also hypothetically see a scenario wherein they, as I said, need a spark.

Like, Igor plays well in game 1, but they lose and don’t want to go down 0-2, so they go to Hank

Or they maybe don’t panic after game 1 but lose game 2 as well and then go to Hank despite Igor playing well in those games.

Or even they come out flat and go down early in a game, maybe they switch to Hank in-game

But that’s it

I totally agree with that and that was basically the scenario I was getting at.

I could also hypothetically see a scenario wherein they, as I said, need a spark.

Like, Igor plays well in game 1, but they lose and don’t want to go down 0-2, so they go to Hank

Or they maybe don’t panic after game 1 but lose game 2 as well and then go to Hank despite Igor playing well in those games.

Or even they come out flat and go down early in a game, maybe they switch to Hank in-game

But that’s it

In game, maybe.

I think it sends the wrong message to Igor to bench him after 1 game if he plays well and they lose.

In game, maybe.

I think it sends the wrong message to Igor to bench him after 1 game if he plays well and they lose.

Yeah. That’s fair. They might wait 2 games in that situation.

But it’s hard to go down 0-2 in a short series.

Just saying it’s possible

I let Igor go til death. Hank's time here is pretty much over, and the only way Hank goes is in the case of an Igor injury, or he cannot go in my opinion. Igor is our future. Hank is our past. Respectfully....but he's our past now.

Given the kind of layoff here - close to four months by the time its done - I don't think any of us can predict who will be sharpest. The only answer is to start whoever is looking best in the training camp and keep him on a short leash.

Another ridiculous thing about this schedule is that a lot of players will be going through something close to the equivalent of the training camp that is used to prepare a team for an 82 plus game schedule in order to play what will amount to 3 or 4 games for many of them. Then back to another break! I don't know what this is going to do to players.

@Ozzy with tough love. In spite of my earlier post, you’re right. It’s about winning at any cost.

I'm just waiting patiently for Hank, Staal, Smith and Shatty to get off payroll after next season is over, Big guy!!!

That's when I think this team is going to really fly. We can lock up whoever we need to, and also sign some serious talent to fill the spots we need so desperately. That extra 25 million bucks or so, is going to be very useful!!!

Shesterkin. But with a short leash...a very short leash.

Why a short leash? Are we trying to win the Cup this year, or get young players playoff experience for future years? Is there a goalie on the roster that gives us a better chance to advance than Shesterkin?

Yes, I know anything is possible, and there is less than one percent chance the Rangers win Cup this year. But if you're coaching/management, aren't you trying to prepare Shesterkin and other young players for playoff-intensity hockey by experience?

We?re out if we lose 3 games, so he?s ?leash? is naturally pretty short. 3 bad games and its over. If he has 1 bad game he should still play. If he shits the bed the first two games you can give Hank a last chance I guess, but I dont see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why a short leash? Are we trying to win the Cup this year, or get young players playoff experience for future years? Is there a goalie on the roster that gives us a better chance to advance than Shesterkin?

Yes, I know anything is possible, and there is less than one percent chance the Rangers win Cup this year. But if you're coaching/management, aren't you trying to prepare Shesterkin and other young players for playoff-intensity hockey by experience?

I agree in principle.

But I think the upcoming tournament is a bit of a one off that should be treated as such. It won't mimic an actual NHL playoff in that it doesn't come on the heels of a grueling 82 game season, guys won't be asked to play carrying all sorts of knocks and bruises and it doesn't require going into hostile environments and performing with everything on the line. And, considering the long layoff, it's questionable whether the teams are able to generate the same level of intensity - certainly straight from the hop. So I'm not really sure how much the young players will truly learn about playoff hockey.

i agree intensity may be low key at first but these guys are competitive in a contact sport, so i’m guessing things would ramp up. i am more worried about ensuring player safety.

nhl/management is due for a huge economic loss if they can’t get a cup champ and playoffs. that has got to be a major driver in the decision process.

hockey fans aren’t like the roman crowds watching gladiators fight/die for their entertainment. but along those lines i am not going to feel great about these playoffs until they play out without a lot of players getting infected.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I say start Hank, telling him this is it. Shesh s young, long career ahead. He goes into next season as the starter but this is Hank’s last run. Buyout or not he in best case stays and plays 10 games in a shortened season Next year here or gets traded before a 48 game season and has a cup run elsewhere. That might sit well and be accepted by Hank if he’s given this shot now.

Again, I think the idea of this tournament being valuable playoff experience for the kids comes with a few strong caveats.

That being said, for this tournament you go with the hot hand. Whoever looks better in camp starts. If that's Shesterkin you go with him, but I don't think you necessarily should consider long term planning when setting the team for game 1. These are such extraordinary circumstances, and guys respond differently to long layoffs. Some need a long runway to get the quickness and match pace back, other are good to go after a couple of skating sessions. So for me you go with the team you feel gives you the best chance to win in what is a one-off (hopefully).

Listening to a bunch of hockey podcasts, There are some players taking this seriously and some players who aren't.

Some people think this should get an asterisk for various reasons, other people don't. Some people think this is a cheap way to get a cup, some people think it will be the hardest cup to win.

This is bonus hockey, imo. Just give it to Hank because it's the right thing to do. Even if they went on a heater and won a cup, nobody thinks this team is a serious cup threat under normal circumstances. Way too many holes.

Give it to Hank and let him ride off into the sunset.

The way Quinn has treated Hank has been pretty embarrassing to this point. For a team that gets a lot of credit for how they treat their players, they've put him in terrible positions and then use the losses as a reason not to play him. This three-headed goalie monster is their own doing. This is a chance for them to straighten it out.