• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Starts in Goal? (Playoff Edition)

Keirik

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no recapture on Lundqvist's contract with retirement.

we sure, because I've been hearing that from the expert Rangers bloggers all season. (I honestly havent found anywhere saying there is a recapture with him, except from the "experts") The last 2 months I've been using the $3m, as I'd rather over-estimate cap space

thanks.

we sure, because I've been hearing that from the expert Rangers bloggers all season. (I honestly havent found anywhere saying there is a recapture with him, except from the "experts") The last 2 months I've been using the $3m, as I'd rather over-estimate cap space

thanks.

He signed his contract under 35. His deal didn’t break any rules. Retirement means no hit.

Just no.

This team rode Shesterkin's call up back in to contention. It's a much better team with Shesterkin in net.

Quinn has said "this isn't training camp", which I take to mean that unless something extraordinary happens in the run up he'll be leaning on the same guys as before the break. It's 100% Shesterkins job to lose and he hasn't even come close to that, in fact if we're to believe Carp he's re won it if anything.

Goaltending is one of the strong points they have over the Canes, IF they start Shesterkin. I understand the temptation based on this being Hanks swan song and his record against the Canes, but it would be an awful decision imo.

That being said, it's a 5 game series and the leash has to be short out of necessity. Hank will get his shot if Shesterkin doesn't perform.

Just no.

This team rode Shesterkin's call up back in to contention. It's a much better team with Shesterkin in net.

Quinn has said "this isn't training camp", which I take to mean that unless something extraordinary happens in the run up he'll be leaning on the same guys as before the break. It's 100% Shesterkins job to lose and he hasn't even come close to that, in fact if we're to believe Carp he's re won it if anything.

Goaltending is one of the strong points they have over the Canes, IF they start Shesterkin. I understand the temptation based on this being Hanks swan song and his record against the Canes, but it would be an awful decision imo.

That being said, it's a 5 game series and the leash has to be short out of necessity. Hank will get his shot if Shesterkin doesn't perform.

I just don’t see it this way at all. Starting Hank is such a win win here, if we agree he is being bought out this offseason (no indication he plans to retire).

1. He gets his one last chance so if we buy him out, it lessens the blow

2. He shits the bed and we lose, 1 in 8 chance of first overall pick

3. Shesty is far too youNg to get disgruntled or upset because he knows next season he is the clear 1

4. Team could rally behind getting Hank something in his swan song.

5. If he does shit the bed maybe this is Hanks wake up call to finally see exactly what he already knows needs to happen.

God, imagine if we lose and Shesty shat the bed? We come out and lose game 3 with Hank starting and being the only reason we don’t get blown out? Shesty still is our starter but if Hank gets bought out......I just don’t see it up being as comfortable of a split. Any other year I say who cares but this is a wonky year and technically I don’t even know if we would have made the playoffs had Covid not happened. Lines up perfectly imo for the best case scenario going forward.

• Like 1

I just don’t see it this way at all. Starting Hank is such a win win here, if we agree he is being bought out this offseason (no indication he plans to retire).

1. He gets his one last chance so if we buy him out, it lessens the blow

2. He shits the bed and we lose, 1 in 8 chance of first overall pick

3. Shesty is far too youNg to get disgruntled or upset because he knows next season he is the clear 1

4. Team could rally behind getting Hank something in his swan song.

5. If he does shit the bed maybe this is Hanks wake up call to finally see exactly what he already knows needs to happen.

God, imagine if we lose and Shesty shat the bed? We come out and lose game 3 with Hank starting and being the only reason we don’t get blown out? Shesty still is our starter but if Hank gets bought out......I just don’t see it up being as comfortable of a split. Any other year I say who cares but this is a wonky year and technically I don’t even know if we would have made the playoffs had Covid not happened. Lines up perfectly imo for the best case scenario going forward.

Yeah, sorry, but I just couldn't disagree more.

It's the Stanley Cup playoffs. You play your best team. What is going to happen to Hank is a business decision, it shouldn't be influencing the hockey operation and certainly not when it comes to picking the starting goaltender for the playoffs. You don't start Hank because theoretically it might make the breakup a bit easier.

If they were neck and neck it'd be different, but they're clearly not.

Yeah, sorry, but I just couldn't disagree more.

It's the Stanley Cup playoffs. You play your best team. What is going to happen to Hank is a business decision, it shouldn't be influencing the hockey operation and certainly not when it comes to picking the starting goaltender for the playoffs. You don't start Hank because theoretically it might make the breakup a bit easier.

If they were neck and neck it'd be different, but they're clearly not.

Well that’s fair. Like I said though, this isn’t a normal season. No one has played in goal for 4 months and no one can really say right now who is at the top of their game or not. It’s a hall of fame goalie I’m talking about here vs a guy with 12 nhl games in his career and the Rangers are already playing with house money even being here in a position to play. Just so much lines up here.

I get that.

I'm going off the reports, which are pretty unanimous in that - if anything - Shesterkin has cemented his place as the unquestionable number one during this camp.

That being the case I just don't see how you could go any other way than have him as your starter whilst retaining the integrity of the hockey operations.

I fully understand the sentiment, I just don't agree with it is all.

People are reading way too much into Igor's hot start.

He's going to have a long and brilliant career, but I'm not sure it's even really smart to throw him into a play in situation under the most unique circumstances for the NHL in modern history.

People are reading way too much into Igor's hot start.

He's going to have a long and brilliant career, but I'm not sure it's even really smart to throw him into a play in situation under the most unique circumstances for the NHL in modern history.

It isn't just a hot start. He's had great success in every league he's played in. I think that's the main argument to start him. The team isn't a contender. Their long shot is an unbelievable goal tending performance that allows their offense to win them enough games in each series. I'm not sure Igor has ever lost 3 games out of 5 or 4 games out of 7 in his hockey career. Does anyone know?

You play the best guy.. I don't know how the practices actually looked, but watching the last 40 games of the season I don't know how the answer can be anything but Shesterkin.

Not coincidentally, a team rode a goalie with 13 career starts to a Stanley Cup.. I'm going to give all the credit to the keeper and not Crosby, Malkin etc.. It's my narrative.

Ok let me put it this way. If, and this is assuming Hank had a good camp and looked real sharp, management went in and spoke to hank one on one. Asked him flat out if he gets this one last kick at the can this year does he plan on retiring. If he says yes, do you start him?

You play the best guy.. I don't know how the practices actually looked, but watching the last 40 games of the season I don't know how the answer can be anything but Shesterkin.

Not coincidentally, a team rode a goalie with 13 career starts to a Stanley Cup.. I'm going to give all the credit to the keeper and not Crosby, Malkin etc.. It's my narrative.

A bit different. They rode. Urray because Fleury had concussion issues that year, not because of performance, but I get your point

Ok let me put it this way. If, and this is assuming Hank had a good camp and looked real sharp, management went in and spoke to hank one on one. Asked him flat out if he gets this one last kick at the can this year does he plan on retiring. If he says yes, do you start him?

That's an element that I'd really have to think about long and hard about.. Getting off the books scot-free would be huge (but I wouldn't hold my breath) .

That being said, I think Igor is at present the better goalie, I also think he has the most to gain from the experience. Come next year's playoffs I'd much prefer to have Igor with 5 or 11 playoff starts under his belt than 0.

No, because that’s not how you run a hockey team.

I would only start him if I thought he gave the team the best chance to win.

I mean, it’s moot anyway because it would never happen like that.