• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 | ECQR | New York Rangers (EC11) v. Carolina Hurricanes (EC6)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cringe worthy.

NHL To Use Fan Videos With Team-Specific Cheers

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29452716/nhl-use-fan-videos-team-specific-cheers

NHL players will hear fans chanting, "We want the Cup!" during their postseason tournament -- just not in person.

The league's teams began emailing season-ticket holders over the weekend, asking them to record 30-second clips of cheering for their players. The clips will be used during games played in empty arenas inside the Toronto and Edmonton "hub cities," as well as on broadcasts and through NHL social media channels.

• Bruins fans were asked to chant "TUUUUUUUUKKKKKKK," for when goalie Tuukka Rask makes a save. They were also asked for a 30-second video of "how you'd dance to 'Shipping Up to Boston,'" the Dropkick Murphys' song heard at home games, although they were told not to sing the song or play it in the background. Bruins fans were also asked for 30 seconds of "booing or reacting to a bad call," with the explicit instruction not to use any "bad words/hand gestures, please."

• Rangers fans were asked to chant the first names of all three goaltenders who might see action in the postseason, as well as "Bread-man!" for star winger Artemi Panarin.

• Blackhawks fans were asked for 30 seconds of a "slow clap" as well as "30 seconds of how you act/cheer during the National Anthem at a home game," a tradition at home games.

• Avalanche fans were asked for 30 seconds of holding up and moving around their cell phone light "to replicate in-arena when your team takes the ice for the third period," as well as "three takes of the 'Woo Woo!' sound that you make after the Avalanche scores a goal at home."

• Panthers fans were asked for clips of them yelling "Red!" during the national anthem and "Goal!" when a goal is announced, as they traditionally do at home games.

• Flames fans were asked for clips of them yelling "Sea!" and "Red!" during the U.S. national anthem and 15 seconds of chanting "Oi!" during the AC/DC song "TNT."

• Winnipeg Jets fans were asked for "10-30 seconds of telling us why you are proud to be a Winnipegger and ending with passionate statements of 'WE ARE WINNIPEG!'"

I'm getting more and more amped for this. Considering I'm not working, this is going to be an incredible few weeks of television haha.

Man I cant fucking wait!

People on Twitter saying Kakko looks quicker and that Igor has looked amazing. Just have Panarin and Mika finding God-mode and the sky?s the limit!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

One way we can explore this is with The Athletic staff writer Dom Luszczyszyn?s model using Game Score Value Added. GSVA is based on game score, which combines traditional and analytical statistics for a single value. The last three seasons, weighed by recency, are analyzed, and there?s an adjustment for age and usage. You can read more about Luszczyszyn?s model here, and the adjustments he?s made to it here.

Chart-1-1.png

Collectively, the Rangers have a GSA of 11.6 up front ? and that?s primarily led by their top six. But forward depth ? or a lack thereof ? has been a weak point of the 2019-20 Rangers, which has only been emphasized by injuries. When the season paused, Chris Kreider?s injury underscored their forward limitations. The unexpected break gave the team a chance to get healthy before taking on the Hurricanes in their quest to reach the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs. However, even with a healthy Kreider, that bottom-six still isn?t inspiring.

Having six forwards fill out the bottom-six does help, instead of five forwards and a roving defender, but there?s still a lot to be desired. Brendan Lemieux, who is suspended for the first two games of this series, carries a GSVA of .4. If he were to return, given no other changes ahead in the lineup, it likely slots him on the left wing of the fourth line, Brett Howden subsequently to the middle, and Greg McKegg out of the lineup. That slightly increases the forwards? collective value to 12.4.

Chart-2-1.png

All together, the Hurricanes? projected forward lineup, based on what The Athletic?s Sara Civian reported in training camp, adds to a GSVA of 15.4. One tweak we could see, Civian noted, is Morgan Geekie rotating in the lineup for Ryan Dzingel. Since Geekie played so few NHL games, he is not yet included in Luszczyszn?s data set, so we can put him in for a GSVA of zero that, in place of Dzingel, slightly lowers their overall value to 14.9.

Carolina?s first line bests New York?s. While both teams? underrated leading centers have a matching 3.2 GSVA in value, the difference comes on the wing.

Though there?s a difference between first lines, the more noticeable edge comes from the trio below them.

https://theathletic.com/1955038/2020/07/27/how-the-rangers-and-hurricanes-measure-against-each-other-up-front/?source=user_shared_article

looking at that projected lineup is a reality check of just how much work needs to be done up front. Two world class studs, Kreider who's not on that level and then the steep drop off to whom Buch and Strome ? From there Chytil who hasn't proven he's got what it takes to contribute at a high level for an entire season on a consistent basis. Fast who's apparently a great guy. He would be followed by the rest who at this point in their careers are either unproven or just not any good or a combination of both. For the restart they're playing with house money so nothing much to lose.

Aho (.97 ppg) = Zibanejad (1.31ppg)? I'm sure there are lots of fancy stats baked in, but Shayna didn't exactly break them out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Aho (.97 ppg) = Zibanejad (1.31ppg)? I'm sure there are lots of fancy stats baked in, but Shayna didn't exactly break them out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because she doesn’t understand hockey.

She's just using somebody else's player rating model, which she linked to in the article. The model clearly sucks if it has Aho and Zibanejad at the same rating.

How the model works

It?s mostly outlined here in this FAQ posted before our 2017-18 projections, but basically it?s built at the player level using Game Score ? a stat I adapted from basketball a few years ago. Working at the player level rather than the team level is one way that my model differs from others that are scaled via team performance only. It offers some challenges in terms of allocating proper credit, but has the advantage of being able to instantly factor for injuries and trades in ways a team-level model cannot.

Game Score is a linear weight model with the weights for each stat within it being derived according to the frequency of goals occurring from them and are as such:

Goals: 0.75

Primary Assists: 0.7

Secondary Assists: 0.55

Shots: 0.075

Blocks: 0.05

Penalty Differential: 0.15

Faceoff Differential: 0.01

5-on-5 Corsi Differential: 0.05

5-on-5 Goal Differential: 0.15

It uses data from each player?s last three seasons, with each component weighted by recency and regressed to the mean individually. That means that the weight for each prior season is different for goals than it is for shots or blocks (and different for forwards and defencemen), as is the regression factor. On top of that, there?s an age adjustment (using methods outlined here) performed at the start of each year that slowly lessens until the end of the season, as well as a small usage adjustment that factors in a player?s teammates and competition based on 5-on-5 Game Score.

Make of that what you will. I really like Aho, but I'm taking Zib over him any day of the week regardless of Dom's model.

Cringe worthy.

NHL To Use Fan Videos With Team-Specific Cheers

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29452716/nhl-use-fan-videos-team-specific-cheers

This is absolutely terrible. The fake crowd noise sucks. FOX has been inserting video of fans in the stands when camera's show the stands for MLB games. It's so pathetic. Im not watching games for fan noise or to see fans. I like the way Toronto had the seats covered, just do that at every stadium/arena.