• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019-20 | ECQR | New York Rangers (EC11) v. Carolina Hurricanes (EC6)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August 1st start at this point, looks like? That take us to early Octoberish? Then what? Another fucked up year? Man, going to be 2023 before things get back to normal as far as hockey goes.

Yup. So I'm gonna be preeeeety pissed if the Rangers lose in 3 to the 'Canes. lol. If they get into the actual playoffs it'll all be worth it :D

Fuck man

He initially said no earlier than July 1, but I was actually thinking they’d try and be able to hit that date. Or be within a few days of it.

Now no camp till July 10 at earliest.

Assuming they hit the July 10 date and do two weeks of camp, that puts games at around July 26-28, allowing for teams to travel to neutral sites and get situated. 2 months from now.

2 weeks of camp may not cut it either.

If they push it to 3 weeks, they’re not playing till August 2-3. That pushes postseason ending into Early or even mid-October. Again assuming they hit July 10.

This sucks.

I wonder how they plan to handle the situation when a player tests positive after they get going again?

https://www.nhl.com/news/hurricanes-rangers-qualifying-round-debated-by-nhlcom/c-317047064

Amalie Benjamin, staff writer

I'm all-in on the Carolina Hurricanes in this matchup. The Hurricanes are one several teams who got closer to full strength during the pause, and defensemen Dougie Hamilton and Sami Vatanen will be ready to return from injury. That's one heck of a defense, and one I think can stand up to anything the New York Rangers throw at them, even if the Hurricanes will have to integrate Vatanen on the fly. Combine those additions with the experience gained by reaching the Eastern Conference Final last season, and I think the Hurricanes take out the upstarts from New York.

Tom Gulitti, staff writer

The healthier Hurricanes would be a challenge for any team, but I will go with the no-longer-rebuilding Rangers in this series. Although the Rangers had the second youngest roster in the NHL with an average age of 26, they were playing like one of the best teams in the League before the pause and were 4-0-0 against the Hurricanes this season. With left wing Artemi Panarin and center Mika Zibanejad leading the way, New York went 14-7-1 from Jan. 31-March 11, including 9-1-0 from Feb 9-27, to climb from 11 points behind the Hurricanes to within two. And like the Hurricanes, the Rangers will be healthier when play resumes with left wing Chris Kreider expected back from a broken foot.

Benjamin

That's all true, Tom. And I know there's a sense that the younger the team, the better able they might be to bounce back from the pause, so this absolutely will be a tough matchup for the Hurricanes. I think it will be a difficult series, but experience might also be important, given the unknown in this unprecedented situation. The Hurricanes seem to be reborn a dangerous team in this new era for them, and I think they'll be able to recapture a bit of that magic, even if they have to face a dynamic offensive force in the Rangers and their impressive weapons.

Gulitti

Whichever team finds its game quicker coming out of the pause will have the advantage in this best-of-5 series. As Amalie mentioned, that might help the young Rangers. But I think the difference will be in goal, which remains the biggest question mark for Carolina. Although Petr Mrazek will probably get the call at the start, it wouldn't surprise me to see James Reimer at some point because of Mrazek's inconsistency. For New York, it will likely be impressive rookie Igor Shesterkin for Game 1 with Alexandar Georgiev ready to step in, and 38-year-old Henrik Lundqvist in reserve. This will be the opportunity for Shesterkin (10-2-0, 2.52 goals-against average, .932 save percentage) to take the torch from Lundqvist and run with it.

So they had given 10 potential host cities, but I assume this is now cut down to 9:

• Chicago, IL

• Columbus, OH

• Dallas, TX

• Edmonton, AB

• Las Vegas, NV

• Los Angeles, CA

• Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN - OUT?

• Pittsburgh, PA

• Toronto, ON

• Vancouver, BC

no NY? assholes!!

It would be awesome to co-opt the NHL season in NY during COVID. But yeah, too many infected in all of the areas teams would have to stay. Florida not on the list, why? Baseball? I heard MLS thinking of Florida too.

The NBA is pretty much taking over Orlando. Don't know if that will bleed into Tampa. Florida just isn't a good location for hockey given how far apart Amalie and BB&T are.

• 2 weeks later...
So they had given 10 potential host cities, but I assume this is now cut down to 9:

• Chicago, IL

• Columbus, OH

• Dallas, TX

• Edmonton, AB

• Las Vegas, NV

• Los Angeles, CA

• Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN - OUT?

• Pittsburgh, PA

• Toronto, ON

• Vancouver, BC

I can see Las Vegas in the west (depending on the all-clear) and Toronto in the east (Need a major Canadian hub city, and have been given the all-clear, also has the Hockey Hall of Fame, major selling points for the NHL).